New all-female band for London

Discussion in 'The Rehearsal Room' started by North Londoner, Oct 5, 2011.

1. North London Brass is launching a new 100% female, traditional British brass band to be based in London N14 from 3 February 2012.

North London Brass (NLB) operates a network of thriving, mixed brass bands in Edmonton, Enfield and Muswell Hill, including a training Academy Band and our Southgate Concert Band.

We want to make a step change to encourage more women and girls to get involved with brass banding and brass playing in general in the North London area.

Our new band will be called 'Twenty-seven Sisters' and will rehearse on Friday evenings in London N14. We intend to work with local schools and youth organisations to encourage an increasing number of female learners to take up brass. The band will promote excellence and will provide positive role models for young women and, indeed, will be a vehicle for women of all ages to play every desk in the band.

We are also seeking applications for a professional Conductor for our new band and, of course, we would welcome applications from women who are experienced brass players.

For more details, please see our website at www.fourhillsmusic.co.uk

To register your interest or support, please contact us at:

Email: claire@fourhillsltd.com

Telephone: Claire Stogden (Band Secretary) 020 8366 0657

2. theMouthPiece Related Searches

Find more discussions like this one
    London
    British
    Southgate Concert Band.
    North London
    North London Brass
  3. Ianroberts

Ianroberts Well-Known Member

Phwoar !!! :wink::wink:

4. Yes, Ian Roberts, we are now in the 21st Century. Your, no doubt, good-humoured observation is typical of the comments that inspired North London Brass to launch a band where female musicians can shine and flourish, free from this sort of stuff which can, in our experience, put some women off joining the brass banding community. Luckily, I know you're only joking :)

5. Thirteen Ball

Thirteen Ball Active Member

Funny isn't it? When Grimey and Briggus admitted their first female players it was billed as a 'great day for equality.'

Just a (more than little tongue-in-cheek) observation......

6. Bob Sherunkle

Bob Sherunkle Active Member

Will the sisters be playing period instruments ?

(Sorry)

Bob

7. Ianroberts

:clap::clap::clap::clap:

8. No harm in having a laugh, but North London Brass started utterly from scratch in January 2010, we now have over 150 musicians rehearsing with us each week over three brass bands, symphony orchestra, concert band and big band jazz sessions. Nearly all of our brass players came from outside the brass banding community, many had been turned off by outdated attitudes and practices.

As with all of our other start-up projects, NLB's Twenty-seven Sisters band will be a big success and will act as a catalyst for getting more women and girls into brass playing. You have to think positively to win - come on, support us, help spread the word. We're already visualising triumph. www.fourhillsmusic.co.uk

9. Thirteen Ball

Absolutely - more power to you. And any organisation which gets people playing brass instruments, I wish all the luck in the world to. And rather this point is a general point and not one about any specific organisation.

I just find the dichotomy between attitudes on previously men only bands admitting women, and the formation of women only bands to be a curious one.

Don't get me wrong, my opinion is that any band is an organisation with it's own admissions policy and the right to hire or fire whoever they like. It simply strikes me that if a new band was purposely formed as an all male band there would be cries of "old boy's network" and "rugby club atmospheres" whereas when an all female band is formed, encouragement is much more forthcoming. I suppose a lot of that's due to all male bands having once been the norm, and women banders having to challenge that status quo, but where it sits with equality is often a point of debate.

(Note. I am fully aware that despite being an all-female band, Boobs and Brass do occasionally have to draft in male players for a gig - who are charitably and fondly referred to as 'Implants.' I'm also aware of NOBBS, the National Old Boys Brass Band of Scotland who - though less famous in my locale than their pink-garmented sestren - do equally important work raising awareness and funds for cancer research and are all-male.)

10. towse1972

towse1972 Active Member

For a moment there i almost wished that i lived in London.......

11. towse1972

towse1972 Active Member

Hahahahahahahahahahaaaaaa....

12. theMouthPiece Related Searches

Find more discussions like this one
    London
    British
    Southgate Concert Band.
    North London
    North London Brass
  13. Ianroberts

Reminds of "Trinity Girls Band" years ago, oh those were the days !!

:redface::redface::redface:

14. iancwilx

iancwilx Active Member

"Trinity Girls Band"
    They're still going strong and soon to compete at the Northern Open.

- Mr Wilx

15. Ianroberts

oh to be a young bandsman again !!

16. nook1938

nook1938 Supporting Member

That will not do you any good, you still cannot join, it's an all-female band.

John

17. Ianroberts

but.......................... oh never mind !

18. Thirteen Ball

Do trinity Girls have Boys?

I suppose that would make sense. After all, Besses boys have girls....

19. hobgoblin

hobgoblin Member

150 musicians, and all those ensembles - brilliant, but discrimination is still discrimination even if it's "positive discrimination". To my mind an all female (or male) band is no different to a whites only, or no gays allowed band. Why a band of "27 sisters" is more acceptable than a band of 27 hetero's, 27 white blokes, or 27 able bodied is beyond my tiny mind to understand.

20. I think you're right, Hobgoblin, or at least in the sense that it would be wrong if we were forming just one single band, but Twenty-seven Sisters will be just one of the bands in our North London Brass network, able to participate in our many Massed Bands concerts and events, and that means that men are equally able to join our other bands - hey, we even run a Concert Band at the same venue on the same night, so there is absolutely no exclusion.

My conscience is clear. Our aim is to get more women and girls into brass playing and into banding, there is no hidden agenda of discrimination. In fact, one of our orchestral members recently left us to join the London Gay Orchestra, so we've experienced the down-side as well. I think it's a positive move still, you haven't put me off, but I respect your views and could certainly argue it that way as well. Thank you for joining the discussion. M

21. Ianroberts

Just think of all the extra sandwiches that can be made for a contest day bus trip by all those girls !!

heaven !!

22. nook1938

nook1938 Supporting Member

LOL, are you still dreaming.