New A Tune A Day Book

Discussion in 'The Rehearsal Room' started by BeatTheSheep, Mar 30, 2006.

1. BeatTheSheep

BeatTheSheep Member

What do TMP'ers think of the new a-tune-a-day book 1 for trumpet?

doesn't mention the cornet! comes with CD, and is now £9.99

my band music service uses the old one. little cornet players would be horrified

2. jingleram

jingleram Active Member

We have just bought 15 for our learners, they seem to like it. I think having the cd is an added bonus, as many youngsters find it easier to learn by listening and repeating. Also, this gives them an idea of what their general sound should be like!

3. Bass Trumpet

Bass Trumpet Active Member

There's a new trombone one out, too. It's written by Amos Miller and is very well presented, clear, concise and good fun.

(Yours truly also gets a mention in the credits :biggrin: )

4. Steve

Steve Active Member

Can I have one please, my first ever trombone book and its got a free CD. Woooooooo Its like the mail on Sunday.

5. Kiz7

Kiz7 Member

I looked at these books when they came out and to be honest it just looks like they changed the type set to a more up to date , child friendly one and added an average CD accompaniment. if you have a good look through it, the tunes featured are, in the main. still out dated and uninspiring to children. Personally, I was a bit disappointed and have stuck to my present teaching system.

6. trumpetmike

trumpetmike Active Member

Oh how heartless of them
    I guess trumpeters should be up in arms about Arban's Cornet Method or Clarke's Technical Studies for Cornet:rolleyes:

Having seen the book - unimpressed. It has a CD, so what? You can now listen to somebody playing a very uninspiring bunch of tunes.

Is it just me that is not so keen on method books that have a CD? I have taken on a few students who have started on this style of book and have found that they are often excellent at copying what they hear, but can't sight-read for love nor money. Yes, listening/imitation is an important part of learning an instrument, but when the only way they are able to learn a tune/phrase/exercise is by hearing it, I'm not overly convinced.

7. GingerMaestro

GingerMaestro Active Member

Isn't that what the Look LIsten and Learn Books have been trying to do for the last 5 or 10 years.....not exactly a new idea

8. TheMusicMan

TheMusicMan tMP Founder Staff Member

hmmm... am in two minds about this Mike.

On the one hand I'd say at some point many of us non-professionals would have listened intently to someones playing - with a view to emulating the style, listening to the technique, or even simply learning how to play a certain section of a piece. All of us listen-to-learn; be that playing an instrument, learning to sing, or even learning to speak and articulate. It would be incredibly difficult to learn a new language at any age for example without listening to, and trying to repeat what someone says.

On the other hand, I tend to agree with you - up to a point - that at an early stage, encouraging a learner to listen to and repeat how a piece is played could lead to under-development of sight reading skills.

You have to start somewhere though, and if listening to and repeating a piece is a strategy that works for learner a, then why not... go for it I say. As long as the teacher/mentor takes pragmatic steps to ensure other areas of development do not suffer, then things should balance yes?

9. Cornishwomble

Cornishwomble Active Member

Surely if you are inreoducing a student to a book and a CD then they will learn both reading and listening at the same time. Then a student would develop both skills

10. BeatTheSheep

BeatTheSheep Member

just to clarify, I'm not concerned that is the tune a day book for trumpet, only that it has been changed from the original trumpet AND cornet. why? would they have done this the other way around? no

We won't be using this book, although it is suitable, or even ideal for, say a year 7 new student, because it seems to be set at about that level, and would be suitable for group lessons in that way.

My band recruit from years 2-6 mainly, and give only one-to-one lessons. These learners are in my experience too young for this book in the main, and need that input/ explanation individually from a private tutor. So in a sense, the book is immaterial, it's how you use it.

11. theMouthPiece Visitor Guide

Find more discussions like this one
    TMP'ers
    Tune
    Day Book
    band music service
    little cornet players
  12. Dave Payn

Dave Payn Active Member

I haven't seen this yet. However, what exactly is on the CD? Is there any verbal tuition on it to encourage the player's reading/phrasing etc. or is it just someone playing the tunes from the book?

13. Anonymous_user

Anonymous_user New Member

Why use TAD?

The old TADs had many errors that weren't sorted in over 60 years!

Some things would appear never to change.

The following is only one example.The new TAD Trombone book (Bass Clef) introduces the A flat major scale with no mention of how to play a D flat until later in the book. An earlier contributor was overjoyed to get a mention in the credits. Why? Hopefully he wasn't the proof reader! Maybe the proof reader was the same person used for Images of the Millennium?

As has already been said, the use of a CD is a bit old hat when we now have beginner books with DVD's providing fine examples of kids playing the instruments and which include some useful software.

:confused:

14. BeatTheSheep

BeatTheSheep Member

Therein lies it's charm. I think we just use it because we know it. And it is quite difficult and not dumbed down at all.

Mind you, we teach all young players individually. Ensemble practice is for band!

15. David Mann

David Mann Member

I have a student who brought the trombone version along, and I think its OK. Its interesting enough for the student, the basics are clear, and seem to me to be good advice. If you compare the how to produce a note section from " New Tune a Day" with Arban or Langey you'll see what I mean!

16. Moy

Moy Active Member

Na thanks - will stick to Team Brass - thanks all the same.
    It also has CD.