Never a sore loser. BUT feeling totally robbed.

Discussion in 'The Adjudicators' Comments' started by k8 loves to bone, Oct 14, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. k8 loves to bone

k8 loves to bone New Member

Today i played my last contest as official solo trom for Elland Youth. The band played the best they have ever played, finishing amazingly sounding like a full 'adult' band. All members came off a little disgruntled with a few wrong notes but absolutley buzzing and walking past crowds of people, conversations were overheard saying that we had won by miles.
    Turns out we didn't. For whatever reasons this was :-? we came 2nd yet so many brass banders were coming up to us and telling us we had played the best. I know it should just be satisfying enough to know in our heads and hearts we played tremendously but not getting the credit, especially because it was the last contest as official members for a couple of us, feels rather....humiliating. As the winning band cheered pretty much the whole of Elland band and other audience members sat in silence. Normally I would brush off coming 2nd and be extremley happy but this time i just can't seem to get it out of my mind. It was open adjudication and I have been told that it was the adjudicators first brass band judging. URGH! :oops: :frown: :confused:
    I've been banding for about 5 years now and im not just in youth bands so im not just being a youngun lol :)

Anyone else had an experiance like this?

Last edited: Oct 14, 2007
  2. Matty350z

Matty350z New Member

A trombone player talking sense?

Its true what she says. We (Elland) played like a very mature registered band yet the winners played like a typical school band. What a load of *******S the results were!!!!:ranting2:

3. k8 loves to bone

innit......i wasn't going to say it but SYMPATHY SYMPATHY SYMPATHY

4. k8 loves to bone

and blooming eck Matthew how many times do i have to tell you trombone players may not seem it but they are the brightest of the lot.

5. Kate I can't agree with you more, Tromboners RULE!

And yes ive experienced the anguish of not getting the win the band deserves with my former and your current band Hebden Bridge!

Twas the national final in Caird Hall Dundee, We played an absolute blinder, and everyone in the audience said we played the best, some top bandsmen too, and I can't remember fully now but we came either 12th or 9th, something rubbish anyway, I was sat next to Les when the results were being read out and when they had said bands 6th to 2nd, we both thought we had won, but to not even get in the top 6 was sickening

Not to worry Kate, you'll get plenty of good results with Hebden Bridge, Guarenteed!

6. Ive been in similar situations! Well all have! But the fact is even know its horrible the sooner you forget it the better, i understand at a youth band level it seems to get to you that little bit more, but o well! lol! It was similar for alot of the older gwent musicians in ther last contest and they wern't to happy either! Anyway unlucky! :-?

7. tpcornet12

tpcornet12 Member

Am I missing something... you came 2nd! I have played in contests for 25 years and only won twice! I would look back to the first part of your thread title and ask yourself, are you sure?

8. Sop_Or_Bass?

Sop_Or_Bass? Member

We felt similar with our 4th Section result - We changed the way we played following the remarks at Harrogate (adding extra Blood, Guts and Gore as well as a change of styles) and had the comment that although it was an extremely exciting performance it was too loud for the hall (and note that overblowing was not an issue) - In the adudicator's own words - this cost us dearly.

But as others have said - that's contesting and it's all adudicated on subjective terms where you do not know what the adudicator is looking for - maybe she just didn't like the piece as much as others, etc. So don't get downhearted and just learn that it should be about how you felt about your own playing, the band's playing and how you can improve for next time (even if you did win).

I must say it did help that we did win the 4th Section March, as well as the 2nd/3rd section March and Test Piece - so 3 out of 4 was pretty good for the day - so well done Bream :D

9. jcowensEb

jcowensEb Member

we (elland)played awesome nd evan all the crowd sed we should of walked it,its a load of **** init lol,maybe we should of cried nd then we would of won lol,wb

10. Anno Draconis

Anno Draconis Well-Known Member

Deja vu?

http://www.themouthpiece.com/vb/showthread.php?t=29935

It doesn't matter how many people in the audience felt you were great, there's only one opinion that matters, which is the one emanating from the box.

Stay in banding for long enough and you'll get a result that has everyone scratching their heads. This is not meant to sound discouraging, but you need to find a way to deal with the bad days or contesting is not for you. Trust me, the good days feel so much better when you've had a few shockers!

And don't diss the winning band, even if you feel they didn't deserve it - it doesn't do you or your band any favours. Learn to be magnanimous in defeat and you'll enjoy contesting much more, I promise.

EDIT: if you can come off stage feeling that you've given it your best shot and couldn't have done any better, then you've won your own internal contest right there.

Last edited: Oct 15, 2007
  11. theMouthPiece Visitor Guide

Find more discussions like this one
    Hardraw Scar
    edge
    band
    sore loser
    sound
  12. iancwilx

iancwilx Active Member

Absolutely right.
    We all know that at the end of the day the guy in the box is either going to be a discerning genius or a cloth eared incompetent !
    It's brilliant to win a 1st prize, and awful to be denied, but to know that your outfit played well and was judged by many knowledgeable banders in the hall to have been unlucky is some slight consolation.
    I'm not sure I really believe that myself !!!
    - Wilkie

13. Matty350z

Matty350z New Member

Trombones??? Brightest???

You may well say that trombones are the brightest and in a sense its true. The light passes in through one ear and straight out the other!!!;)

14. barrytone

barrytone Member

I remember it well, we were gutted but that's contesting for you. Over the years I have learnt that if you play well, you tend to do well but occasionally the result does not seem to match the opinions of those who heard the performance. The point is the whether the spectators thought you played well or not is immaterial, it's the adjudicator's view that matters and remember that's his or her opinion and only that.

Not winning when you and others think you should have is a hard pill to swallow but must be very hard for younger players just starting out in brass bands. Try not to let it affect your dedication, commitment and the enjoyment you get from playing. Contesting is tough but it's only a small part of why we play, try to take pleasure from knowing that you played well and that others enjoyed your performance.

Finally, I take it Clive that you'll be applying for that vacant solo trombone seat at Hebden to participate in the good results they have to come?

15. jcowensEb

jcowensEb Member

well iv felt lots of bad results but not as bad as this,we (elland)played the best iv herd them play,it wa awesome,but then wen i herd we came 2nd,i want happy lol,WE WA ROBBED!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

16. jcowensEb

jcowensEb Member

end of the day,we all new we walked it,its not are falt if da cornet playa **** play her part nd cried,wunda if we didnt lend em a cornet,we wud of won,s** happends dunt it lol,wel av 2 prove r selfs in blackpool nd manchester.gd look matty wid elland,miss ya all

17. Chunky

Chunky Active Member

Mods - are translations available for the last 2 posts please for us old people that speak, read and write that old fashioned language called English?

18. marc71178

marc71178 Member

I read it as something along the lines of - we didn't win, so we're going to have a big moan about it, but we're not being sore losers (!) :biggrin:

19. Ipswich trom

Ipswich trom Member

lol,
    I was gnr ask 4 tht 2 but dsided to lurn it insted. :biggrin:

20. BandTaxi

BandTaxi Active Member

Totally agree with you there Chunky I don't usually have a problem understanding text language - but those two posts did present quite a challenge. I think that I even managed, eventually, to work out what one of the abbreviations was that led to the ****'s!!

21. jcowensEb

jcowensEb Member

NO MARC71178 i think uv got dis all wrong,yh we didnt win,we played like any adult band,they played like a standered youth band,we shud ov walked it,wb ppl

22. theMouthPiece Visitor Guide

Find more discussions like this one
    Hardraw Scar
    edge
    band
    sore loser
    sound
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.