Neuralgia - I need your help guys!!!

Discussion in 'The Rehearsal Room' started by cornetgirl, Nov 24, 2004.

1. cornetgirl

cornetgirl Active Member

Hi all,

The medical girl's stumped and I desperately need your help if you can guys.

I've been suffering with cervical neuralgia for 4 months now. It's the second flareup I've had after a shoulder dislocation 10 years ago. Basically imagine colonies of ants crawling down your arms and hands and into your fingers - then multiply that by 100 and put it on 24/7.

It is UTTER HELL and I'm starting to lose my ability to cope. I can just play, it's getting better and more so since I went back onto flugel, but I feel like I'm never going to be able to play or work to my usual level again. :shock:

The doc has put me on anti-inflammatories (Naproxen) and amitryptilline which is helping somewhat. I'm also having tests to see if I have arthritis in my hands.

I need any other bright ideas from tMPers who have been through something similar or know someone who has. Failing that I need your support. I'm not usually a down person but right now I am - I can't even groan at a DP pun!!! :(

All ideas / help / support gratefully received!

Rach xxx
  2. DublinBass

DublinBass Supporting Member

I have no clue what you can do.

I feel for you and will give you all my moral support!
  3. sparkling_quavers

sparkling_quavers Active Member

Very sorry to hear that Rachel. I can't really give you any advice but I am sure that there are some tmpers they will be able to help. Hope you feel better soon.
  4. mikelyons

mikelyons Supporting Member

My partner suffered for years with neuralgia in the jaw after a bad trip to the dentist. A TENS machine (available from Boots) provided consistent relief from the pain and other sensations. If it is arthritis, I'd be more concerned about it being in the neck area.

Some years ago I had to have a laminectomy because of osteophytes in the spinal canal. If this is the cause not sure what they can do. My problem wasn't pain, I kept 'losing' bits of myself - complete lack of feeling. The kids have said this for years, mind :)
  5. WoodenFlugel

WoodenFlugel Moderator Staff Member

Really sorry to hear about this. Unfortunately I can't offer any advice - only my best wishes and hope that you get relief from this very soon.
  6. brassneck

brassneck Active Member

Get back to your doctor and get more professional advice. Fully explain your discomfort and check whether a visit to a consultant or neurologist might help.
  7. six pints

six pints Active Member

i have hyperflexibility, so when i play for any length of time my wrists absolutely kill. there isnt a lot they can do, specially since i hate taking drugs after being on 18 a day earlier in the year. Its really annoying tho.

good luck!

8. cornetgirl

cornetgirl Active Member

Wow - I never expected such a quick response. Thanks guys!

The TENS machine is very helpful - one of our superstar 3rd cornets at Cott got me one and it's pretty good - although I think I am slightly overusing it (10 hours a day!!!) so I'm cutting it down a bit.

Nice to know so many people care - off for a good old cry now!

Rach x
  9. bigmamabadger

bigmamabadger Active Member

I've got something similar (cervical vertebrae and shoulders) which is pretty much chronic now. I see a remedial massage therapist (sometimes known as deep tissue massage, but not a physiotherapist) once a week and also see an acupuncturist occasionally.
    Since going to the massage therapist I've discovered that the problem is not just down to my neck, but involves my whole back, which needs to be treated holistically. Targeting just one area is sometimes not enough. I struggled for years with physiotherapists before finding Malcolm. He is a sadist and makes me cry but I feel better afterwards and my posture is beginning to get back to normal after years of abuse.

Both of those seems to help, although I do sometimes use prescription pain-killers to get through specific things (like Whit Friday Marches...).
    Rubbing pure aloe vera directly onto the site can give temporary relief.

I also find that detoxing can help, although that does sometimes make it worse before it makes it better.

Sometimes doing "hot-and-cold" on the area of pain - 10 minutes of an ice-pack follwed by 10 minutes of hot-water-bottle etc. etc. - can help me go to sleep.

Chronic pain is very debilitating, I know, but it is worth searching for something that can help you.
    Hope you feel better soon
    Big hug
  10. Okiedokie of Oz

Okiedokie of Oz Active Member

Hey Rach!

My mum also came down with trigeminal neuralgia after a fatal trip to the dentist. It's part of the reason I left uni, as Dad is a shift worker and my sister was in high school at the time.

Mum's first medication was a general very strong pain killer. It did little. Afterwards, the doctors upped her to some sort of medication which turns out Mum also used on some of her patients with mental health issues. It induced a large numbing in her mouth causing her to drool incessantly.

Winter was unbearably hard on Mum, and we found we had to have all heaters running in the house by 3PM....this allowed the house to be suitably warm as not to trigger too much pain. Made thigns rather warm for us, and almost tolerable for Mum.

In the end, Mum had neurosurgery. The used an impact drill through the back of the skull, reached around her cerebral cortex and coated the never being impacted in Teflon. Unfortunatly, they brushed an optical nerve and Mum temporarily was blind, and even now doesn't have full vision, just aprox 90%.

Side effects of the operation were a slight amnsesia for a day or too, loss of motor control temporarily, and the drooling continues if Mum's mental functions aren't at full pelt. But the pain is gone.

Maybe not exactly what you have, and not what you want to hear, but the surgery cost a little over $2K (aussie) and Mum's now leading a productive life again. Is this an option for you?
  11. super_sop

super_sop Supporting Member

Sorry to hear your not very well Rach. I hope you find some way to get sort it out.

hugs and stuff

12. WhatSharp?

WhatSharp? Active Member

Might be worth a trip to a Chiropractor. I regularly get pins and needles in my arm and hand cause by the muscles spasming in the neck and nerves getting pinch (this also at one stage caused me to have migranes which I'd never had before), a quick trip to my Chiropractor sorts it out, about 4 or 5 years ago (before I'd seen the chiropracter) my neck siezed solid and I couldn't drive, the doctor wasn't even the slightest bit interested "Take some ibruprofen and don't come back" were pretty much his exact words!, after that I gave up on the NHS.
  13. brass journo

brass journo Member

I have no sensible advice Rach apart from accupunture is good and what about finding out if thereis anything diet related that might help - I know that sounds silly but sometimes just simple things can make an existing problem worse. I'll see if I can find anything out but in the meantime just wanted to say hopeyou feel better soon.

14. brass journo

brass journo Member

found it!

Hi again Rach!

just been doing a bit of homework and came up with this as possible alternatives but obviously and I know you will, seek professional advice before trying anything - I just had to add in my disclaimer!!

Anyway, this is what I found: "A whole foods diet with adequate protein, carbohydrates, and fats that also includes yeast, liver, wheat germ, and foods that are high in B vitamins may be helpful. Acupuncture is a very effective treatment, especially for postherpetic neuralgia. Homeopathic treatment can also be very effective when the correct remedy is used. Some botanical medicines may also be useful. For example, black cohosh (Cimicifuga racemosa) appears to have anti-inflammatory properties based on recent research."

Might be a bit of relief!

15. Big Twigge

Big Twigge Active Member

A Big Hug is the best I can offer xx
  16. super_sop

super_sop Supporting Member

Have suffered with this myself over the last month or so, i had a headache for a fortnight solid and i found out after changing to a different doctors it was all done to the muscles in my shoulder! amazing after a week of beeing on pain killers all now seems to be well. i really do hope you can sort something out Rach. you know we are all there for you.

hugs and stuff
  17. Naomi McFadyen

Naomi McFadyen New Member

I've been through some medical probs myself Rachel (I shall PM you at some point about it if you're interested- and give you my opinions and experiences with doctors I've seen... which, basically, they've been useless and helpless and I've pretty much given up on them)

With the chiropractor idea, it's worth looking into... but different treatment suits some people better than others.... The clinic could give you an examination and see if it's worth have adjustments etc on your back to ease things... or even maybe just having ya back massaged, which would get rid of the crap in ya back...
    I've been seeing a chiropractor for about 3 years now- and on and off recently cos I'm away at uni most the time; but I'm having to constantly go back as often as I can because it only gives you a tempory relief before everything goes out of place again...
    It's an expensive thing too as well so only do it if it will 100% benefit you....

All I can do really is to wish you all the best for a good recovery... and if you need to talk, well, you know plenty of us on here and we are all here to help and support each other :) (why don't I take my own advise?! :lol: )

Keep ya chin up and keep smiling ok! :) Best thing to get through these things is to think positively and don't let it dominate your mind... if you think what you have, you will be what you have...

PMA! :)
  18. The Cornet King

The Cornet King Active Member

I understand how hard its been for you this last few months Rach and you know you have all the support of everybody at Cott! :D

And if you need a laugh and something to cheer you up i think its time we erected the 'Grahamisms' thread!! :lol:
  19. drummergurl

drummergurl Active Member

wow someone needs lots of tlc... *hugs*...

well i cant really do much or say much coz i dont really understand wot it is (im sure i will someday) but it doesnt sound good and it sound painful...

all i can say is if u need cheerin up (and u have msn) add me to ur msn... and u can spill everythin thats on ur mind if u want.. and ill try my best to cheer u up! :)

i do hope it gets better soon!!

hugs, fluff n stuff

Sarah x
  20. cornetgirl

cornetgirl Active Member

Thanks guys - nice to know I have so much support.

Good idea Chris - over to you I think!

Not at band tonight (couldn't hold the steering wheel...) so I shall rely on tMP to cheer me up!

Rach x