Nestle Children's Book Prize 2005

Discussion in 'Off-Topic Chat' started by Big Twigge, Oct 23, 2005.

1. Big Twigge

Big Twigge Active Member

So, I've been a keen bean student and nominated myself to do extra work -it's not compulsory or anything !

I'm going to be going into a school and giving them a set of the books nominated for the 2005 Nestle Children's Book Prize. This is a book prize in which the short list is drawn up by 'adults' and then children from around the country get to vote for their favourites.
    The books are split up into 3 categories (5 and under, 6-8 and 9-11). It is up to us what we do with the children to help them decide on their winner, what I need is some ideas of what I can do to promote reading and help the children to decided on a winner.

I have a few ideas, but I thought who better to ask than my favourite bandy, internety people - tmp!
    Over to you....any suggestions?
    Thanks heaps in advance xx

(Further information can be found at www.booktrusted.com)

2. TheMusicMan

TheMusicMan tMP Founder Staff Member

I'll tell Jen about this Caz... she'll help I'm sure.

3. Big Twigge

Big Twigge Active Member

Thanks John, you're a star (or Jen is....well you are too - arh you know what I mean!)

4. twigglet

twigglet Member

How about with the little people, get them to split into groups and give each group one of the books, they then have to do a little presentation explaining what the book was about and try and convince their class mates that theirs was the best!

5. Big Twigge

Big Twigge Active Member

Michael Rosen's Sad Book is one of the most emotive and well... sad books I've ever read. It tackles death and sadness very openly. It is in the category for 6-8 yrs. A wonderful book, but may be quite challenging for some children and adults.

6. Ok this is what we do with our children to capture their interest. (under 5’s)

We make a story bag, e.g. if the story is about farm animals then the bag will be full of the appropriate creatures/characters, this makes a more visual affect for the children which keeps them captured (bearing in mind that most of our children are aged between 2 ½ and 3 ½ )

Another idea is to create a story board, using a felt panel and cut out characters the children become part of the story by placing the characters on the board.

Just a few ideas hope they help.