Discussion in 'The Adjudicators' Comments' started by geordiecolin, Feb 15, 2004.

1. geordiecolin

geordiecolin Active Member

Having spoken to a slightly irate Pythagoras just moments ago I can reveal a smattering of NEMBBA results;

4th Section

1st - Matlock
    2nd - Rolls Royce Derby
    3rd - ?
    4th - Ireland Colliery
    5th - ?
    6th - ?
    7th - Dronfield :evil: :evil: :evil: :cry:
    8th - Tideswell

I'll leave Pythgoras to rant to his heart's content when he gets home and has had a few bevies and has chilled a bit......
  2. Vickitorious

Vickitorious Active Member

The rest of the sections are :

3rd section :

1. Shirland WT
    2. United Norwest 2000
    3. Long Eaton Silver

I don't know the rest of that section.

2nd Section

1. Carlton Brass
    2. Hathern :eek: :(
    3. Hopkins Sol. Blidworth

I didn't get to hear the 1st section results

Special Prizes are:

Best soprano....... Carlton
    Best Principle cornet........ Matlock
    Best Horn.......... Shirland WT
    Best Euphonium....... Carlton[/b
    ]Best bass trombone......... Hathern :D
    Best Bass section....... Hathern :D
    Best percussion section....... Shirland WT
  3. SammyT

SammyT Member

We came 3rd - yeah!!!

1st section results:

1st Riddings
    2nd Nottingham City Transport
  4. satchmo shaz

satchmo shaz Active Member

oh brill we 're just off to the club :guiness :guiness :bounce
  5. neiltwist

neiltwist Active Member

am I reading this right? there was actually a prize for best bass trom!
  6. Dawnys_flug

Dawnys_flug Member

It was for trombone but the winning trombone just happened to be a bass one! lol
  7. Di

Di Active Member

Well, they said the prize for the best trombone goes to the trombone from Hathern Band. Yay, go Jonny, was the cry. But by the time he got the pot in his hand, they said, "oh sorry, its a mistake, its for the best bass trombone". But it was still with Hathern, so yay, go mouse go.! :lol: Though I had little strenght left for cheering, it was the end of the second contest in one day for me (in a non-playing role that is!) :roll: :shock:
  8. youngman

youngman Member

I think Newhall were third.
  9. Di

Di Active Member

Yup. :)
  10. Seedhouse

Seedhouse Active Member

Well done to all bands! Especially my old bands RR and LE, and to my new band Carlton- hope you lot celebrated loads!
  11. Pythagoras

Pythagoras Active Member

Now home and chilled a bit. Still think we got an absolutely disgraceful result but ....... blah de blah de blah, thats of no interest to people who weren't there, I'm sure people have all had their results that were at the most polite pretty unfair, but the point I would like to raise is how to get results above reproach. A few practical suggestions are:

1) At closed adjudications from the time of the last band playing the adjudicators should be locked in the box on their own and ABSOLUTELY NO LOCAL COMMITTEE MEMBERS should be allowed to have contact with them before the results are announced.

2) Results should be announced by adjudicators not officials and nobody but adjudicators should write on comments sheets.

3) If adjudicators are not in a box they should remain visible to the audience from the time of the last band playing and not go into a back room for a conversation with the organisers.

4) Adjudicators should have a home area that they are not allowed to adjudicate.

5) There should be a liason (not from the area) between the local committee and the adjudicators at a contest, between whom there should be NO CONTACT from when the adjudicator has been booked.

I know this sounds like a rant from someone who feels that they have had a bad result, (and I do, I have had results that were felt to be unfair before like everybody else, but nothing like this) but surely all of the things I have suggested above would only enhance the reputation of contests.

Also do people feel that paper shuffling does go on? Does how well you get on with the organisers affect your position once you get past first and last place?

PS We will certainly be looking carefully at the adjudicators comments from this performance and looking how this can improve our performance at the area contest.

Also I will stress again that I am talking generally as to ways of improving credibility of contests and am certainly not suggesting anything derogatory (sp?) about anybody who organised NEMBBA today.
  12. Pythagoras

Pythagoras Active Member

13. geordiecolin

geordiecolin Active Member

I thought you said you'd chilled a bit Daniel!! :shock: :shock: :lol:

Just remember, its Burton that counts!!

Best of luck for the area, I wouldn't take a "dodgy" result at NEMBBA to heart!
  14. rutty

rutty Active Member

I must admit to being a bit chuffed to have won the second section. From what others have said I think that Hathern played very well, and even one of our own supporters had them winning, but it's down to the men in the box. Just as well for us!

Well done to everyone that went - I really am surprised that more NEMBBA members don't go to this contest, because we've always found it very useful as a testing ground for the area.

I really enjoyed the piece - Philip Sparke really is the modern Brass Band master composer. Kaleidescope is an excellent test piece, and I even had my own (unscripted) solo!
  15. BigHorn

BigHorn Active Member

My first ever contest and we came away with 4 trophies plus special long service award for Janet.
    You missed all the drama on the way home Dave.
    We were on the coach going home and we passed a group of teenagers who had just smashed a bus shelter. As we drove past they threw something at the bus and smashed one of the windows.
    Wrong move! - as you know we have four serving police officers in the band. They gave chase and Our Sop player Steve caught the culprit. Two bags in one day! (he also won best sop player)

Celebrations were put on hold for a while, but it was an unforgettable first contest.

BTW we picked up a bag of drum sticks on the way out that may not be ours. Please get in touch via the web site if they are yours.
  16. sunny_jimbob

sunny_jimbob Member

Ireland were 8th. My sister plays on their back row.
  17. stephen2001

stephen2001 Member

Bummer, I forgot it was this weekend or I might have made a visit :!: :oops:

Well done to all the bands, and I'll see people in Burton who are going on the 1st Sunday of competition for the 3rd section :D
  18. IJK

IJK Member

Ireland were 8th but not down hearted it's Burton what counts. And we will be with a sop and second Euph for then and percussion. So look forward to seeing you all there.
  19. satchmo shaz

satchmo shaz Active Member

Well done for entering I say!! Its not easy regrouping a band!
    Good luck for the future and give us a shout if ever you need any help :wink: