Need PayPal Help...

Discussion in 'Off-Topic Chat' started by Lisa, Mar 18, 2008.

1. Lisa

Lisa Member

Hi,

I was just wondering if anyone knows much about Paypal?

Specifically, I want to downgrade my account from 'Business'
    to 'Personal' - is it possible to do that? I can't see a way immediately?

Also, if you have a personal account instead of a business account is it still possible to receive money...or do you need a business account to do that?

Lisa :)

2. brassneck

brassneck Active Member

- maybe you should try switching to a premier account and get the best of both worlds? :confused:

Have a look here

Last edited: Mar 18, 2008
  3. The Wherryman

The Wherryman Active Member

Hi, Lisa,

To change your account status you will have to contact Customer Services via the Contact Us facility.

For more info - log into your account - open the Help file, then "Paypal Basics & Benefits", then "Premier & Business Accounts", then para. No.7 "How do I change my Account Type".

Good Luck

4. The Wherryman

...sorry, forgot the second question...yes you can.

5. brassneck

brassneck Active Member

If you want to downgrade your account to a personal account, you are only allowed to do that once!

Paypal downgrade

6. Lisa

Lisa Member

Thanks for all of the swift replies!

I think my problem has changed slightly now though!

The thing I am trying to do is transfer some money that I have in an 'account' on a website - but it is an American site and it is confusing me!

I first tried transferring the money directly to my bank account but couldn't do that as it asked for a routing number/swiftcode/ABA number and I have no idea what one of those is or if I even have one for my bank account!

So I thought maybe I could transfer the money to my paypal account instead - but I think now that I can't do that - you can only add funds to the website via paypal, not withdraw them (I think...:confused: )

So now I want to go back to the first option - so does anyone have any idea what an ABA number is and how I can find out what mine is?

It also asks me if I have a checking or savings account...I am guessing a checking account is the same as a normal current account?

Thanks again for all of your help! :)

7. brassneck

brassneck Active Member

If you have an American bank account then you would know what the ABA number is (that is... the routing code ... is a bit like your sorting code).

The checking account is another way of describing a current account. ;)

Oh, and you do have a swift code (or BIC ... Bank Identifier Code) to identify your bank for International transfers (usually found top right corner of your bank statement). It's the swift network that distributes funds internationally.

Last edited: Mar 18, 2008
  8. The Wherryman

Take a look here http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Routing_transit_number and it will give you an idea what these terms are. I recommend you to contact the site from which you are trying to transfer funds. Get this wrong and you could end up losing the money in "the system".

9. Roger Thorne

Roger Thorne Active Member

PayPal con!

Just to digress a little, but it's worth posting.

Yesterday I received a phishing email purporting to be from PayPal telling me that 50 euro had been paid into my account. It wasn't until I hovered over the link that I'd noticed the email address had (.) instead of (/) I know there are a lot of these emails sent out, but this one was a lot more convincing than most.

Be very careful folks.

:tup

10. Lisa

Lisa Member

Ok, well I found a BIC number on a bank statement which is good! :)

And have finally managed to transfer a test amount of $5 to my bank account. I can't believe how complex and poorly explained the whole process was though, argh! :-?

If the $5 transfers ok then I will be able to transfer the rest, yay! :)

11. theMouthPiece Visitor Guide

Find more discussions like this one
    PayPal
    Help
    Business
    anyone
    account
  12. brassneck

brassneck Active Member

:clap: ... hopefully there are no transfer fees! Did you get a timescale for moving the funds?

13. Lisa

Lisa Member

Yeah, I'm very much hoping there are no transfer fees!!

It says it can take up to 7 business days, so that's not too bad