Need ideas - Ensemble/Quartet

Discussion in 'The Rehearsal Room' started by xRinat, Sep 16, 2009.

1. xRinat

xRinat Member

Hello my dear friends.

Me and some friends want to play together in a competision, but we don't what to play. Here is the deal:
    2 Cornets
    1 Bass Trombone
    1 Eb Tuba
    1 Percussion (maybe)
    1 Tenor Horn

Do you know funky/technical/nice/beautiful songs for a quartet? Give me a noise.

We want to start as soon as possible so please give me what you got :)
  2. Getzonica

Getzonica Active Member

When my school used to have a brass ensemble I remember playing some really good arrangements of pieces where the tune moves around the band. Don't know who any of the arrangers were but I played pieces like 'what Shall we do with the drunken sailor'.
  3. mikelyons

mikelyons Supporting Member

MMI Music has some good ensemble music. You'd have to play about with the parts maybe to keep your (Bass) trombone happy. I could rearrange some of my quartet/quintet arrangements if you PM me.
  4. James Yelland

James Yelland Active Member

Hello Mr (?) xRinat from Kazhakstan. You're not related to a Mr Borat by any chance, are you?
  5. xRinat

xRinat Member

Very funny, your making yourself look stupid ;)
  6. xRinat

xRinat Member

Yeah, the bass trombone wants something really good.
    We can win if we just get the right songs.
  7. Hells Bones

Hells Bones Active Member

What you should do is get some quintet music. Tell the Tenor Hornist to either transpose at sight (Only a tone difference, not hard) or re-write the F Horn parts into Eb.
    Then tell the Bass Bonist to lump the high (for them) parts and that will do you.
  8. xRinat

xRinat Member

I am sorry I didnt tell you all this, we are born in 93-94, we'r young and we'r not pro in doing things like that, we'r just good at playing.
  9. Hells Bones

Hells Bones Active Member

You don't need to be pro to play some good quintet music.

Trust me, it's not as hard as it sounds.
  10. He is right on. There is much written with Eb and F parts published.
  11. xRinat

xRinat Member

I know, but Im talking about rearranging music. Its allot of work for us teenagers. Is there a good website where we can buy music for us?
  12. Getzonica

Getzonica Active Member

Mostyns is great for all sorts of music.
  13. tryweryn

tryweryn New Member

My daughter has a small ensemble outside of her normal banding. i dont know what standard you are looking for, but her ensemble are all about grade 6/7. She found that the flexi-band series is a good start, by faber music. Also try jazzamatazz by chester music.

Additionally we hunted down our counties music library, (wiltshire) of which there is only one. it was stuffed full of music and at really cheap rental rates. Hope this is of help.
  14. Aidan

Aidan Active Member

most things you wont have a problem with, horn player only has to take it all up a tone.
    Lots of stuff are published with Eb and F horn parts already, notably lots of the philip jones brass ensemble stuff are good. If they arn't too hot at the up a tone stuff just whack it into sibelius and transpose the part up a major 2nd.
    Talk to Tone or someone else at Musikk-miljø for some good ideas of music that are easily available to you.
  15. MoominDave

MoominDave Well-Known Member

It's a lot of work for anybody that does it by hand - writing out in a different key is easy but laborious.

Really, Hells Bones's suggestion seems the best one; there is a huge amount of music published for two trumpets, F horn, trombone + tuba - your horn player will soon get used to the easy transposition of a tone if they are as good as you say they are, and the trombone parts are eminently playable on a bass (though hard work) - I did that myself for years, beginning in my mid teens. You will not find any arrangement specifically for the unusually bottom-heavy combo you've got there - you'll have to do your own if it matters that much to you to get exactly suited parts.
  16. Andrew Norman

Andrew Norman Member

What sort of competition is it ? Is it an entertainment contest ? Do you have to play a varied programme or just one piece ?
    I have several arrangements, not particularly hard but good entertainment stuff.
  17. xRinat

xRinat Member

It's an entertainment contest where we play diffrent piece of music.

If you got the stuff, please bring it :) I need all the help I can get.