Need Help Identifying Instrument Case

Discussion in 'The Rehearsal Room' started by NickA, Oct 14, 2017.

1. NickA

NickA New Member

Hey everyone!

I found this case and was wondering if anyone could identify what instrument the case is for. At first I thought it'd be for a trombone, but not I'm not too sure. Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks!

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. Tom-King

Tom-King Well-Known Member

Pics aren't showing so... No idea

3. NickA

NickA New Member

Sorry about that!
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

4. 2nd tenor

2nd tenor Well-Known Member

Looks like a Trombone case to me, but only (potentially) suitable for a small bore Bb only instrument.

If it is a Trombone case then it’s likely to be one originally supplied with an older student quality (basic) American instrument - King 605? A photo with the flap down would help as how any slide might be secured would then be visible.

Last edited: Oct 15, 2017
  5. GJG

GJG Well-Known Member

... or a narrow-bore 'G' bass trom ... ?

6. 2nd tenor

To me it looks a bit too modern for that. Some dimensions would be a good guide too, in that some minimum sizes are needed for a Trombone, and then MoominDave is the mostl likely person I can think of to give a reliable answer. I don’t think that I can add much more on this one so don’t anticipate posting on this thread again.

Last edited: Oct 15, 2017
  7. MoominDave

MoominDave Well-Known Member

My eyes are not in their best state at the moment, so I'm having trouble picking out what the internals of the case look like from the above photo... The presence of somewhere to put a trombone slide would say strongly that that's what it's for, and the absence of the same would say strongly the opposite. Does the padded middle section secured by the clasp fold out to potentially hold a trombone slide behind it?

If it is a trombone case, I'd suspect strongly it's for a common-or-garden beginner student trombone - something like whichever Jupiter model it was that kids always used to get started on by the local education authority.

8. Euphman2

Euphman2 Active Member

9. 2nd tenor

I’m sorry to hear that and wish you a speedy recovery.

I found the photo’s a bit difficult to sort out too, no criticism of the OP intended as the case is just difficult to get good pictures of (the dark material allows little contrast to help identify features). The lower section has a cover on its rhs that has been flipped over to show the pocket underneath for oil, cloths and mouthpieces to sit in. I assume that when the cover is flipped back it will leave an oblong raised section that possibly sits into the area between the Trombone’s stays, bell and gooseneck. A the mid lhs and next to the hinged edge there is a swivel catch to secure the threaded body/slide connector? The top section has a stop on its lhs above the hinge for one of the open ends of the slide to rest against (the longer side); with the flap enclosure the slide might need no other securing, but I’d still like that extra photo. I can’t t see this case taking much more than a 7” bell (it looks quite narrow) and the features noted so far might limit its use to to the shape and dimensions of one or just a few models. The old Yamaha and Jupiter cases that I’ve seen are different to this one and I haven’t seen anything British like this either. I think that it is most probably from an old American learner instrument (not Blessing but maybe King, Conn, Bach/Bundy, Olds, Reynolds, Holton, Benge ......).

Last edited: Oct 16, 2017
  10. alanr

alanr New Member

Boosey made Imperial G trombones until the mid-1970s (I have one), and this has the look of a mid-70s case. If I remember I'll post some measurements.

11. alanr

alanr New Member

If there's a centrally mounted block and strap under the lid flap to secure the handle of a G trombone, that would clinch it. If there isn't, it's for something else.