Need help choosing new marches for our low level band!

Discussion in 'The Rehearsal Room' started by brownrob, Jul 13, 2007.

1. brownrob

brownrob Member

Hey guys, I did a little search but couldnt find anything conclusive, but then again its a specific problem I have!

First of all the band Im conducting...

We are a pretty low level band, but we have some amazing Juniors (wish we could fast forward 5 years! :oops: ), 2 brothers on trombone/baritone and brother/sister on tenor horn/cornet, leave me quite excited

We have some really good players, got a Grade 8 Euph player, when I play, Im also Grade 8 (I tend to mix between Bb and Eb Cornet, but I dont get much time to practice!) , we have a few players of Grade 5 standard, a cornet or three, Solo Horn, Id say the rest of the band would be about Grade 3-4 standard (though Im possibly being harsh), they would obviously be much better if i could get them into practice! :D , the band has fantastic potential, its just going to be a case of a couple of years hard work

Anyway, we have decided that we want to have 16 marches for the road, we currently have 10 but we are going to cut 2...

What we have currently...

The Villager
    Sword & Shield
    True & Trusty (going to ditch this as its not popular with the band!)
    The New Recruit (as above!)
    The Rambler
    The First Parade
    Loyal & True
    There is another one but I cant remember what it is :S (ill edit this)

Some of the marches that me and a few of the guys have thought of, Im wondering what they are like?

The Standard of St George
    I play this with the band I play with, and I love the sop part, its a definite, so its not up for discussion!

The Standard
    I dont know much about this, I know the band played it years ago

Royal Duke
    As Above

National Emblem
    I love this march! I dont think its too hard either

The Young Recruit
    Not too bad a march at all, the juniors have learned it too i think

There is another quite famous one but i cant for the life of me remember it, marchbook is in the car though, work sucks! :clap: Ill get back to you!

I was listening to the ipod, and was listening to the march "Under the Double Eagle" by Wagner I think, I really like it, but for those guys out there who may have played it, whats it like? I know there are high B's at the end for the cornets, but I would tell them to take it down an octave for now :cool:

We really like the idea of Cross of Honour, and I really like Hyde Park, but its been a while since I heard them so I dont know the overall difficulty, also, who publish all of these marches?

Now this is where you guys come in, going by what we currently play may give you an idea of our current level, but we have room for development in the future, I think we could possibly try a few slightly trickier marches, then maybe next year take stock and see where we are, so I dont think we would be fit to play Ravenswood, Viva Birkenshaw, Punchinello, Gladiators Farewell or the thin Red Line just yet!

There are quite a lot of marching bands in our area (county of population approx 20-30k and there are maybe 9 brass bands?! Anyway, we would like to have a few "original" marches in the book, everyone plays Kenilworth, Slaidburn, Villager and sword and shield round here, so we would like to have our "own" marches as well, if you guys know what I mean!

Also, Im fairly new to the whole conducting thing, I know Wright & Round publish some, just wondering where to get hold of the marches, and they arent too expensive?

Sorry for the continued ramble, but hope to hear some good chat!
    Last edited: Jul 13, 2007
  2. tpcornet12

tpcornet12 Member

We often play Under the Double Eagle. It's a good march but not so sure I would take it to the road. I think there are a couple of bs for solo cornet on a split part but not a lot. Its quite a straight forward march to play and has a little bit of interest for the back row cornets. It's best taken quite steady IMO and quite a nice 2nd half opener.
  3. Di B

Di B Member

There is a march called Sherwood Lodge. It's not played too often and shouldn't be too difficult for your band. Not sure who it is by but I played it in 4th section when I was 15.

You forgot to mention the classics like Blaze away too :)

Personally I love the Cossack - that might be something to put in your 'look at it later' pack?
  4. brownrob

brownrob Member

Ah yes, the band I normally play with plays Blaze Away, great march, dont think our seconds would like it though, seeing that 75% of them are juniors :biggrin:

The other band I play in are looking at Honest Toil, I dont think it would be so civil on the march :eek: ;) :D
  5. brownrob

brownrob Member

We also play the chieftan, and one of the marches we were loking at was Officer of the Day
  6. GJG

GJG Well-Known Member

Yes, we have "The New Recruit" in our march pad as well. Everyone professes not to like it, however, strangely enough, none of the cornet section complain when we call it out towards the end of a long carnival parade/route march. May have something to do with the repeated 15-bar rest in the trio section ... ?
  7. David Mann

David Mann Member

A selection from the marches I played in West Midlands Fire Service band (we did lots of marching),

Old Comrades
    The Standard of St George
    National Emblem
    Army of the Nile
    Semper Fidelis
    Under the Double Eagle (JF Wagner)
    Sarie Marais
    The Captain General
  8. brassneck

brassneck Active Member

Bryan Kelly's Washington D.C. was always a fun item to play in my youth! It was always included in programmes for courses during the '70s and still sounds fresh today!
  9. sjs

sjs Member

Try having a look at our 'Springboard Series' It's designed for young bands of mixed ability. We have a couple of marches in there by David Gwynne that have proved popular. They are intended more for concert use so you probably won't be able to use them on the road as they are because we print A4 size, but you could try reducing them on a copier - we don't have problems with that. You can hear them on our website and order from there as well, or by post/email.

SJS Music
  10. andyh

andyh Supporting Member

Here's a few suggestions from our current pad:

Army Of The Nile
    Star Lake
    March Of The Cobblers

11. Thirteen Ball

Thirteen Ball Active Member

On the quarterdeck!

Or failing that, anything in 6:8

Just not Slaidburn.... please.... anything but that...
  12. brownrob

brownrob Member

Yeah, I think Army of the Nile is way beyond us at this stage :D Even Old Comrades would be a tad too hard as well! Ill have a look at some of the others that have been suggested!

Thanks for the feedback so far, a couple of really simple yet nice marches would go down a treat :)
  13. PeterBale

PeterBale Moderator Staff Member

Thee are several SA marches that could fit the bill: "Star Lake" has already been mentioned, but there's also Norman Bearcroft's "To regions Fair"or Les Condon's "Bognor Regis" and numerous others.

I suppose it's just a personal thing, but I would not go for "Standard of St George" with a limited ability group: great march, and I love to play it, but very tiring to play if the rhythms are to be kept as tight as they should be.
  14. brassneck

brassneck Active Member

Some others to consider ...

A Swedish March (Edward Gregson)
    March Prelude (Edward Gregson)
    Marchissimo (Philip Sparke)
    Chartreuse (Concert March) (John Golland)
    Joyful March (Bertrand Moren)

and if you want them playing kazoos as well, there is the humerous

March 2001b (The Oblique One) (Magnus Am)
  15. The easy marches ive played before are

Death or Glory
    Home Again
    Westward Ho
    Colonel Bogey
    Sons of the Brave
    Liberty Bell
    Sempre Fidelis
    Cross of Honour
    March of the Cobblers
    Blaze Away
    Great Escape
    Star Lake

theres 16 fairly easy marches, not sure if all are suitable for road marching but theres plenty for you to have a go at
  16. tedmundo

tedmundo Member

STAR LAKE - already suggested
    ROBINSWOOD - Beckingham, W&R
    BARNARD CASTLE - Goff Richards, Studio Music
    BANDOLOGY - Osterling arr. Wright, B&H
  17. FlugelGirl

FlugelGirl New Member

i have played under the double eagle and i have heard it performed its a good piece, but i wouldnt take it to the road, its not suitable
  18. Standard of St George
    The Cossack
    Death or Glory (maybe a tad tough for a low level outfit but always a good one to set the car alarms off with!)
    Castell Coch
    Cornish Cavalier
    Westward Ho!
    Colonel Bogey
    The Middy
    1914 (A must to finish off a Remembrance Sunday march!)
    True and Trusty (Blue and Crusty :wink:)
    Sons of The Brave

A good few there to have a crack at, good luck ;)
  19. DMBabe

DMBabe Supporting Member

Try some good old scottish cheesy road marches like "Bonnie Galloway", "Morag's Faery Glen" and the legendary "Jeannie's Black Ee". Honest love, it's not a joke, they're not half as hard as the stuff you're already doing and I can practically guarantee that none of your neighbouring bands will have them! Also hows about "Erimus". So easy you can play it on a loop and not get tired! (Not that you'd want to but it's a damn fine filler).

Let me know if you have any joy finding them, and what you think!!!!
  20. Souter

Souter Member

Add to the above :-

Why Left I My Hame
    Duncan Grey
    Auld Robin Grey (Or as we refer to it - Duncans faither)
    Bonnie Banks Of Loch Lomond

More good old cheesy Scots marches.