Nearly 40 ... and a newbie

Discussion in 'Introduce Yourself' started by eusebio, Jan 28, 2009.

1. eusebio

eusebio New Member

Just thought I'd say hello ...

Three weeks ago I picked up a cornet for the very first time ... and i love it!

My son plays in a youth band and whilst attending a regional competition before Christmas I was persuaded by the band's musical directors to have a go and join in with the 'old stagers' band ... it's a band of ... ahem ... older ... members who have alwayd wanted to play!

Anyway, that's my story ... just saying hi!
  2. michellegarbutt

michellegarbutt Supporting Member

good luck hope you have fun and beware this hobby is addictive
  3. Hells Bones

Hells Bones Active Member

Hey Eusebio!

You're never too old to start learning!

Are you Portugese by any chance?
  4. eusebio

eusebio New Member

Thanks both - I'm not Portugese, no, it's my handle on the football messageboard I frequent so I thought it easier just to carry it over here!

[I can't seem to find the edit button to go back and correct spelling mistakes, so forgive the obvious typos in my first post!]
  5. StellaJohnson

StellaJohnson Active Member

hello and welcome to tmp and to the world of brass bands.
    Good luck with the cornet!!
  6. 2nd man down

2nd man down Moderator Staff Member

Hi Eusebio, and welcome. Hope you enjoy posting here on tMP, we have a wealth of knowledge to pool information from and a vast varied range of talents and ages within our members.

Quick note, you only have 5 minutes to edit any of your posts thereafter the edit function disappears (to stop threads being ruined by posts being re-visited and changed from what they said in the first instance).

Enjoy! :biggrin::tup
  7. flugelgal

flugelgal Active Member

Hello, and it's never too late to learn! I hope you enjoy brass playing and the social side of things too, and get many years of fun out of it.
  8. bbg

bbg Member

"nearly 40" isn't an old-stager when you're my age............I had a long break from playing and went back to banding in my early 40s, enjoying it as much as ever despite being very much the "old man" of the band these days. Welcome to tMP - enjoy your visits here but more importantly, enjoy making music.
  9. StellaJohnson

StellaJohnson Active Member

Remember life does begin at 40!!!
  10. 2nd man down

2nd man down Moderator Staff Member

I hope 40th is later this year!!! :(:eek:
  11. jockinafrock

jockinafrock Active Member

Greetings! You'll love t MP!!! Just watch for the muppets who like to wind folk up..! ;)
  12. flugelgal

flugelgal Active Member

I'm off to look for a Kermit or Miss Piggy avatar then! ;)
  13. Clyde Slider

Clyde Slider Member

Twenty-odd years ago, I arrived at banding by exactly the same route, and at about the same age too! We have had so many good times over the years, and even now I'm an adult helper with a training band which my son conducts, so we still share our enthusiasm and love every minute! Stick with it, have fun, and welcome to tMP, you will find all aspects and viewpoints here - enjoy!!:wink: