NE Derbyshire Entertainments Contest - Dronfield

Discussion in 'The Adjudicators' Comments' started by tubafran, Sep 20, 2007.

1. tubafran

tubafran Active Member

Anyone know which bands will be playing at this contest which is this Saturday 22nd September 2007?

Stannington have it on their engagements list and Riddings have always been there (although I believe they are no more) so which other two bands are there? Carlton Main played (and won) last year but it's not on their engagement list.

Previously this has been at the Dronfield Sports Centre, however this was closed on Monday so the contest is now in the Civic Hall, which only holds 250 people. This has always been a good contest to listen to however it never seems to get much publicity even though it's usually part of the Council chairs' charity.

2. bassmittens

bassmittens Member

Hi Fran - yes there again this year! Lost count how many years we've done this one for!! but it's a good evening. We should get some kind of award for good attendance!!:biggrin: Shame there's only ever 3 bands in attendance - would like to see 5 or 6 at it.

I think Hopkins Blidworth are also competing this year but not too sure who the other band is?

See you there???

Last edited: Sep 20, 2007
  3. tubafran

tubafran Active Member

Yes think I will - think I've been to listen to last 4 years so will try not to miss. Although if it's in the smaller hall and they bus in all the blue-rinse brigade they might be short of seats for paying customers.

4. postie

postie Member

The other band competing on Saturday at the contest is Shirland Training Band. It is on their list of engagements.

5. tubafran

tubafran Active Member

Well it's that time of the year and this contest is this Saturday 20th September 2008 - so far from the bands own website competing will be

Stannington
    Shirland WT Band

just tracked down Blidworth Band are playing too

As per normal there is very little pre-advertising of this event, nothing on 4barsrest or even as far as I can discover anything on the Council website. Considering this events been going for about 50 years it's a pity it doesnt get more information out.

Last year due to re-construction of the Sports Hall the event was held in the Civic Centre with restrictions on ticket numbers (the local council bus in local OAPs for the event) but I understand this year it is reverting to the large sports hall. Ive been told that in keeping with the new centre's promotion of health and fitness that the provision of a bar was not considered suitable for the new development. Think one local pub might be in need of some additional beer this Saturday.

Last edited: Sep 17, 2008
  6. Change of venue

Hi

The venue for this year's contest is to be held at The Sharley Park Leisure Centre at Clay Cross.

The adjudicator for the evening is Mr Barry Thompson and the order of play is:-

1. Hopkinson Solicitors Blidworth
    2. Shirland Welfare Training
    2. Stannington Brass Band

I have been assured that tickets will be available on the evening as well.

7. tubafran

tubafran Active Member

Thanks for that Christine - I'd read the venue as Dronfield on your web-site, would have been a bit lonely at Dronfield :).

Found this on Clay Cross Parish Council web-site
    50TH ANNUAL BRASS BAND FESTIVAL - SATURDAY 20TH SEPTEMBER 2008

at Sharley Park Leisure Centre, Market Street, Clay Cross. Starts at 7.30pm. Admission £4.00, Senior Citizens £3.00. This years event will be ticket only due to restricted numbers at the venue. For further details and tickets contact North East Derbyshire District Council Democratic Services Administration on (01246) 217580/217575
    06/08/2008

8. tubafran

tubafran Active Member

Oh and as they are not so concerned about health fitness and drinking in Clay Cross there's a bar in the Centre.

But how odd that it looks exactly like the one they used to have at Dronfield - there's even a 360 degree picture

9. timbloke

timbloke Member

i think they are almost exactly the same, only on different sides of Chesterfield

10. tubafran

tubafran Active Member

Not anymore - the one at Dronfield has just had a £3.5million rebuild and reopens in November.

11. theMouthPiece Visitor Guide

Find more discussions like this one
    NE Derbyshire Entertainments Contest
    Dronfield
    Stannington
    Riddings
    Civic Hall
  12. postie

postie Member

Thanks to Craig Baritone here are the results:

1. Stannington
    2. Shirland Welfare
    3. Blidworth

13. tubafran

tubafran Active Member

Congratulations to the winning band a fine performance an excellent and entertaining programme. Think Stannington Band were the only band that really got to grips with the awful accoustic in that barn of a sports hall.

Once the bands got above a decent forte it was just to much and the whole sound became distorted and lost any clarity - I didn't stay to hear what the adjudicator had to say but it must have been very difficult for him to hear what was being played at times.

Hopkins Solicitors Blidworth played

Apollo 13
    Blaze Away
    Share My Yoke - Cornet Solo Keith Buxton
    Sparkling Diamonds
    Just a Closer Walk
    Madrgalum

Shirland Welfare Band played

Florentine March
    Georgia - Trombone Solo David Moore
    Stingray
    Cornet Roundabout
    Irish Blessing
    Folk Festival

Stannington Band played

Cortege from M'lada
    Loves Old Sweet Song
    Buster Strikes Back - Cornet Solo Richard Dowling
    Stardust - Cornet trio
    Bare Necessities - Eb bass solo - Lindon Bolt
    Piorates of The Caribbean

14. Hornted

Hornted Member

Have to say I agree, I enjoyed the contest and the bands all played well - but the hall was dreadful. Must be somewhere better to hold the contest. I know affordable suitable venues are difficult to come by and so sympathise with the organisers but just could not hear any detail.

Melanie

15. tubafran

tubafran Active Member

and although there was a bar - it was closed. Wonder whether it'll be back at Dronfield next year in the new centre - and no need to worry whether the bar will be closed - they haven't got one.

Thought Blidworth's first piece worked really well (nice solo cornet feature) and not too loud but by the time the got into Blaze Away it was just too much and the building certainly fought back and won. The same for Sparkling Diamonds and Madrigalum - with timps and kit and band at full belt it was really not pleasant to listen to (that is no comment on the band). What a shame that having choosen a fine entertainment programme it was just so wrong for that building.

Shirland got some lovely pp in Florentina and Georgia and Irish Blessing were excellent. Stingray however with timps and kit was just too much and you couldnt hear the tune.

Having heard what the building did to the first 2 bands, Stannington clearly had the measure of the building before they started playing and took the first item, Cortege, fairly steady with a controlled dynamic. The rest of the programme was mainly solo features so the band never needed to get too loud and even Pirates coped well with the building.