Navy bands

Discussion in 'The Rehearsal Room' started by Ryan06, Feb 22, 2009.

1. Ryan06

Ryan06 Member

Have any of you thought about playing for a navy band? do any of you play for a navy band? Im thinking of playing for a navy brass band..most likely the Canadian military band since Im Canadian. My Euphonium teacher says Id be really good for it.
    Im starting to look into it to see if its worth it and do some research on it.
    Would you guys play in a navy band?
  2. PeterBale

PeterBale Moderator Staff Member

As a former member of a UK military band, I suggest you try to speak to someone with current experience. From my experience over here, being a member of a forces band always involves a compromise between the musical opportunities and the military obligations.

For my old band, the current members are subject to more specifically military requirements than was the case in my day, including weapons training and quite demanding fitness levels to be maintained.

Having said that, if you are able and willing to put up with that side of things, the musical opportunities can be quite far-reaching, with top quality tuition and performance openings, as well as the chance to obtain properly acredited qualifications that can help set you up for life after the military.