Nationals Threepeat

Discussion in 'The Adjudicators' Comments' started by DublinBass, Oct 25, 2004.

1. DublinBass

DublinBass Supporting Member

I just realised that while Fairey's may not have achieved the threepeat at Nationals this year, Gareth Brindle, solo baritone for Dyke did.

Congratulations Gareth on another Championship!! :clap:

Does anybody know of any longer streaks of championships by any individual player or conductor (as opposed to a band) at one contest? I wonder what the record is?

2. theMouthPiece Related Searches

Find more discussions like this one
    threepeat
    Championship
    Nationals
    Congratulations Gareth
    anybody
  3. Mrs Fruity

Mrs Fruity Member

I'm sure one of the old greats, William Halliwell or someone, must have done pretty well - didn't one of them do six nationals in a row??? (or Opens?)

4. Kerwintootle

Kerwintootle Member

Well done Gaz!

There was at least one person from Huddersfield, unfortunately I can't remeber his name (doh!) who won the Nationals 6 times in a row. 3 with Dyke and then 3 with Meltham and Meltham Mills. I saw the medals a few years ago, when my dad was working with his great grand son. Could be Edwin?

More recently Desford won the Nationals 4 times in a row (with year out after the hat trick barring entry into the consecutive year).

I think anyway, but feel free to correct me.

Alex

5. The King of Wise

The King of Wise New Member

Meltham and Meltham Mills never won the National.

Lalo

6. Kerwintootle

Kerwintootle Member

oh dear, must be thinking of th'open. Addled brain of mine.

7. Accidental

Accidental Supporting Member

Its hard to follow individual players, but the most successful conductor historically must be William Halliwell:
    with different bands he won the Nationals 10 times in 13 (from 1910-1928 ) including 6 in a row, the Open 17 times in 25 (1910 - 1936) with another 6 in a row, and he did the "double" 8 times during that period. Beat that!

Surprised nobody's mentioned YBS and the Europeans yet - or does that go without saying? ;)

8. HBB

HBB Active Member

BOC? :p

9. Accidental

Accidental Supporting Member

'fraid so! :lol:

10. HBB

HBB Active Member

Well, y'know ... I didn't like to tell you in person... :)