Nationals Sop quiery

Discussion in 'The Rehearsal Room' started by fitzy, Oct 18, 2004.

1. fitzy

fitzy Active Member

How many bands at the Nationals used 2 sops on stage? I've never heard of this being done before! Feel free to correct me.

2. barry toan

barry toan New Member

Dyke certainly did, as I watched Mrs Kerwin through my binoculars play a lovely solo with the instrument on her lap! ;-)
    Im presuming one of the guys on the front row had a soprano too.......

3. fitzy

fitzy Active Member

Is a player allowed to play 2 instruments onstage if that was the case? (Other than perccusion of course) Just a quiery........

4. PeterBale

PeterBale Moderator Staff Member

No, Jamie Prophet sat second man down on the front row with just a sop, and Alex was in the normal position on the back row. A couple of other bands seemed to do the same - Alliance and Tredegar, I believe.

5. fitzy

fitzy Active Member

Ok. Did he play some solo cornet parts too? Would have been great fun with the transposition! ;)

6. Syrup

Syrup Member

Whilst on this subject, I'm reasonably sure Fodens used to use 2 sops for a while on contests when Tracey Redfearn first joined. Dopey used to sit 1st sop and Tracey 2nd, and eventually Tracey took over.

I'm sure Goaty can put me right on the facts.

7. brassneck

brassneck Active Member

... as far as I'm aware, it was to cover the high solo bench parts (according to 4barsrest, the part was set high ... must have been a lot of sunflowers on that mountain!).

8. DublinBass

DublinBass Supporting Member

Either that or a very tall mountain (where the air is thin ;) )

9. brassneck

brassneck Active Member

heheheh! Dyke's performance must have been a real cliffhanger then :rolleyes:

10. peatair

peatair Member

Two Sops

I am no expert on the rules for contests - and, in my view, these seem to be rather "flexible" anyway. Nevertheless, I assume that 2 x Sop is OK.

Not bad when you can fly one in from New Zealand and get another player who just happens to be Associate Principal Trumpet with the BBC Philharmonic Orchestra.

If brass bands had two soprano cornets as a regular thing, I am sure that some superb arrangements would come out. Even in recent 2nd Section Test Pieces like Philip Sparke's "Kaleidoscope", a good sop. can take a lot of the effort off the front row cornets. Without this help they have bar after bar at the top and above the stave.

Unfortunately, most bands - at least below 1st Section - are lucky to get one reasonable sop these days.

11. theMouthPiece Visitor Guide

Find more discussions like this one
    Nationals Sop
    Nationals
    Nationals Sop quiery
    bands
    Feel free
  12. Sonny Barker

Sonny Barker Member

Is this fair?

I mean, Dyke fly a sop around the world and engage a top pro trumpeter too. What's stopping someone just hiring a band to suit the test? Nothing I suppose, it's just happened at the RAH!

13. JR

JR Member

I think a fair point is made
    I understand the "legality" of 2 sops was checked out beforehand but I could'nt remember a similar usage in contesting in recent years - then Graham o'Connor told me both he and Ken Johnson played sop for Grimethorpe when they won the area on Rienzi in 1963! - by my calculations graham was 15...

john r

14. brass journo

brass journo Member

Generally one sop is a liability - imagine having more!!!!!!!!!!

15. Soppy

Soppy Member

lol!

Two Sops playign at the same time makes it too top heavy IMO. It can be useful for the front row though if they have high stuff two, but I can't imagine that the Dyke front row couldn't cope with it!

16. Red Elvis

Red Elvis Active Member

Did Dyke actually have two sops on stage , or were they just dividing parts across the cornet section? Quite a few bands on Saturday got the top cornet doing the sop parts and second man down the solo cornet , particularly towards the end of the piece.

17. Lauradoll

Lauradoll Active Member

Read what's already been written!

18. Phil Green

Phil Green Supporting Member

Yep, at the Europeans in '93 Britannia Building Society Band used two sops. This was basically to let Tracy do all the lovely delicate stuff and for Dopey to blow his b***s off in the loud bits without having to worry about saving himself for quiet bits. This was allowable in the European due to being able to play extra players at the time.

19. KennyC

KennyC Member

Whitburn did it at the Open in 2001 with Les Preludes. Wee Kay played all the delicate stuff (superbly) and Andy Digger was on hand to help with the loud bits. We just used one less cornet player.

Kenny

20. brassneck

brassneck Active Member

To clear up any misreading of the two sops debate here, can anyone confirm that it was an option in Michael Ball's score that allowed them to be used? Or was it a chance that conductors took on the day? :-?

21. Dave Payn

Dave Payn Active Member

I have no problem with the issues of actually using two sops, just wondering whether the extra players transposed or (shock, horror!) an illegally written transposed part was written out for them! ;-)

22. theMouthPiece Visitor Guide

Find more discussions like this one
    Nationals Sop
    Nationals
    Nationals Sop quiery
    bands
    Feel free