Nationals errata

Discussion in 'The Adjudicators' Comments' started by Frontman, Sep 21, 2010.

1. Frontman

Frontman Member

I have seen on 4 Bars Rest dated 21st September, that an errata has been issued by Kapital Promotions. According to their web site the errata is as follows:-

SECTION 4 - issued 31 August 2010
    Sunday 26 September 2010
    Harrogate International Centre
    A Royal Mile Suite by Alan Fernie, published by Kirklees Music
    ERRATA and AMENDMENTS

1. At the Palace Gates:

Bar 10 - Horns 1/2 marcato
    Bars 17/18 - Baritones crescendo to f and away again - as horns/euph.
    Bars 39/40 – Cornets tied over bar-line as Bars 5/6

2. Holyrood Park:

Bars 17/18 - Trombones 1/2 slurs over bar-line
    Bar 22 - Bass Trombone tied
    Bars 30/31 – 3rd Cornet, 1st & 2nd Horn, 1st & 2nd baritones slurs over bar line
    Bars 31/32 – Solo Cornet slurs over bar-line
    Bar 32 - Euphonium mp at tune
    Bar 35 - Solo Horn 1st note is B
    Bar 38 - Horns/Baritones – slurs over bar line
    Bars 50-52 Solo Horn/Flugel slurs over
    Bars 52 - Horn 2 slurs over bar-line
    Bar 56 - Euphonium tied
    Bar 59 – Euphonium dim to mp
    Bar 60 - Baritone 2: mp crescendo
    Bar 63 - BBb Bass slurs
    Bars 66/67 – 2nd & Bass Trombone/Basses slurs over bar line
    Bar 85 - Tramlines for whole band

3. Jenny Ha's Reel:

Bar 16 – Euphonium mp crescendo to mf bar 17.
    Bars 21-23 – Side Drum here
    Bar 33 - Flugel/Horns slurs
    Bars 35,36 & 37 Cornet 3 B quaver on first beat

4. Castrum Dun-Edin:

Ruling on tempi
    Tempo at start is crotchet = C.60
    Alla Marcia tempo, crotchet = 92 - 96
    Bar 25 - 3rd Cornet/Flugel slurs
    Bar 45/46 - Solo Cornet staccato on beats 2/4 in Bar 45, accented and slurred in Bar 46
    as Soprano in bar 44
    Bar 67 – Cornet 3 is f
    Bar 81 and on - Tam-Tam part is correct; it starts p and crescendos to ff at bars 88 and 96.
    The note at bar 88 should be above the stave, not on the cymbal line.

If playing from an earlier edition:

1st Movement: Bar 31 Unison C in all cornets
    4th Movement: crotchet = c.60 and accel. to crotchet = 92-96 at Alla Marcia
    Bars 42/43: Soprano D Naturals.

SECTION 3 - issued 16 September 2010 by Harper Music Publications
    Sunday 26 September
    Willow Pattern by Philip Harper, published by Harper Music Publications

A few small errors in the score and parts of the forthcoming Third Section National Finals test-piece Willow Pattern have come to our attention. Please advise the adjudicators and bands of the following list and please accept our apologies for any inconvenience.

Willow Pattern Errata

Letter C, bars 25-29 - Glockenspiel should have Ebs and Bbs throughout
    Letter D, bar 38 - Euphs and baris should have ‘f’ dynamic
    Letter H, bar 134 - Bass trombone should have written G, not A
    Letter J, bar 181 - 1st baritone should have written E, not F#
    Letter J, bar 182 - Bb bass should have written E, not D
    Letter M, bars 228-242 - Xylphone should have Bbs throughout
    Letter O, bar 269 - 1st baritone should have ‘mp’ dynamic
    Letter R, bars 305-310 - Xylophone should have Bbs throughout
    Letter CC, bars 481-484 - Glockenspiel should have Ebs and Bbs throughout

SECTION 2 - issued 9 September 2010
    Saturday 25 September 2010
    Psalms and Alleluias by Philip Wilby, published by Kirklees Music

Bar 39: Solo Horn F? NO
    Bar 41: Flugel/Solo Horn mp not f? YES
    Bar 62/67: FF Tom-Tom in correct place? YES
    Bar 88: Percussion B, FF not p? FF
    Bar 98 Bass Trombone P not FF? P
    Bar 122: Bass Trombone dynamic? P? P
    Bar 179: Timpani cresc. to? Or Sub. P on 180? MP
    Bar 208: Solo Horn/Baritone 1, dynamic? MP
    Bar 235: Cornet 2/3 & Baritone 1/2 dynamic? mf? MF
    Bar 291: Solo Horn/Euphonium - last 3 quavers FF, as in Solo Cornet B? NO
    Bar 294: Trombone 1, A natural? Should gliss start on Ab in previous bar as with previous minor/major 3rd clashes? YES
    Bar 312: Bass Trombone FF? YES
    Bar 328: Baritone 1/2 printed small notes to be played? YES

I really do hope that all bands have been issued with these ammendments. I cannot believe that the National Finals which are being held next weekend.

The 4th Section erratta according to this was issued on 31st August.
    The 2nd Section erratta was issued on the 9th September.
    The 3rd Section erratta was issued in the 16th September.

2. theMouthPiece Related Searches

Find more discussions like this one
    lineBars
    4 Bars Rest
    Cornet
    lineBar
    crescendoBar 63
  3. bassinthebathroom

bassinthebathroom Active Member

Shocked but sadly not surprised, David! Though of course we are all human, that publishers put out music with so many mistakes in is becoming the accepted norm unfortunately. One of the publishers on that list is getting quite a reputation for it, to the detriment of the movement in general.
    Some publishers do get it right though. I can tell you from personal experience that Jagrins (who publish my music) have a very thorough and stringent proof-reading process, and as a conductor who worked on one of their pieces (Once and Future King) at the area last year I can also testify that is possible to issue an error-free piece of music!
    Keep the faith!

4. KMJ Recordings

KMJ Recordings Supporting Member

Iain's right Dave - it is possible to get it right, but it requires time and application. As he's said, Andy Baker's The Once and Future King is one example.....but Jagrins repeated the feat I believe with one of Ben Tubb's pieces for Pontins in umm 2009 (?) I think. I'm sure there must others out there who do the same but unfortunately your post highlights the fact that it's rather rare.

So assuming people take the care that's required it can be done....but until people stop accepting things as 'what they expect' it won't change permanently.

5. Bayerd

Bayerd Active Member

This issue is only likely to be addressed if the selection panel only picked pieces that were error free. The publishers know that once the piece has been chosen for a competition they are going to sell (in the case of the areas) many copies regardless of the quality within, with seemingly little or no comeback for substandard production.

6. Gorgie boy

Gorgie boy Member

........and no errata published for Diversions, which as has already been discussed on this site, has errors in the score and parts.

Shocking, but you know what, it won't change the results.

7. Anno Draconis

Anno Draconis Well-Known Member

Bournemouth Suite, I think? And yes, I'm pretty sure that one was error free as well.

Nobody pretends it's easy to get this stuff right; Once and Future King went through quite a few proofing cycles before it was printed, with both Gareth Pritchard and I taking many, many hours to get it right. It's a time-consuming and meticulous process, and there is no short cut. There are well respected publishers who know this, but don't want to invest the time (and therefore the money) needed to get it right.

The only defence for this penny pinching approach is, of course, that the bands themselves don't want to pay the extra money involved - I well recall the moaning on this very forum when OAFK was priced at £5 more than the 4th section piece, despite the fact that a comprehensive errata had to be issued for the latter. It seems that £5 extra is too much to pay for error free music. Until this attitude changes, nothing else will - unless an improvement is enforced by the music selection panel.

8. GJG

GJG Well-Known Member

FWIW, I has some e-mail communications with both Philip Morris (Kapitol) and Alan Hope (Music Panel) on the subject of "Diversions". Their position was that because R. Smith & Co. said they had never issued any errata for the piece, then they wouldn't even consider investigating it ...

9. Laserbeam bass

Laserbeam bass Active Member

Changed me mind

Last edited: Sep 23, 2010
  10. doctor thick

doctor thick New Member

The nationals as an idea needs an errata. Easy tripe for the royal Albert hall. And far to hard stuff in the section below 2nd section using 2nd section youth peice. And as for the area......who is picking the peices? The general standard falls as the hardness of peices goes up. Mickey mouse running the show me thinks!

11. GJG

GJG Well-Known Member

Ahah, but I know what you originally wrote, cos it was in my "New Post E-mail Notification", and I've still got it ... mmwaah-hahaha ... :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: ...

12. theMouthPiece Related Searches

Find more discussions like this one
    lineBars
    4 Bars Rest
    Cornet
    lineBar
    crescendoBar 63
  13. Splitzer

Splitzer Member

Nationals pieces need to encompass a wide range of ability from the various "champions" from different areas. Area test piece selections are hard because you have to make sure that they test the bands enough in the stronger areas to tell the best ones.
    I will agree that 2011 area pieces are a bit ambitious though - I hope Frank Wright and Eric Ball were laid to rest in nice roomy plots so they have enough space to turn/spin in their graves, because there will be some rank performances of Carnival Romain and Resurgam will struggle to "rise again" once the Mids, LSC, Scots have buried it.

14. mdfreeman

mdfreeman Member

As someone playing Psalms and Alleluias this weekend its not easy. A Full dynamic range from pp to fff while keeping the same tempo all the way from start to finish. It'll be a real test for bands. lol.

15. Laserbeam bass

Laserbeam bass Active Member

You can see why I cchanged my mind then

Publish and be damned :tongue:

16. DMBabe

DMBabe Supporting Member

Yeah cos Wales are such a strong area outside the Top section....... :roll:

There are "rank" performances and great performances in every section in every area, don't kid yourself otherwise.

17. Splitzer

Splitzer Member

More like rank performances in every area and great performances in 2-4 areas at best. Maybe no "great" performances in 1st/ 2nd anywhere in 2011 due to the difficulty of the pieces. As far as the relative merits of the scottish and Welsh areas go I'm content to let results in the Nationals an Open (or should that be Grand Shield for the scots :oops:) speak for themselves.

18. astreet83

astreet83 Member

What a load of :pig:pig:pig:pig!!!

19. doctor thick

doctor thick New Member

So is it easy for 2nd section senior or way to hard for 2nd section youth? Surely there is something not quite right if the same peice is deemed suitable for what apparently is a 5 section gap......Asylum, lunatics......

20. MoominDave

MoominDave Well-Known Member

There is no overlap between the Open and the lower sections in any area that I can think of. Did you miss "outside the top section"?

21. MoominDave

MoominDave Well-Known Member

To be fair, the Welsh 1st section tends to be strong, often containing several bands that could hold down Championship section berths in other areas, due to the large amount of top quality bands in a relatively small top section - and this is reflected in the last two 1st section and 2nd section national champion bands all being from Wales.

However, there is a sharp divide in results below this - Welsh 3rd and 4th section bands tend to be distinctly uncompetitive at the Nationals, as a flick through the 4BR contest archive shows, often finishing way below the competitors from the areas that Splitzer so dismissively listed.

It's weird - banding in Wales looks to be an 'all or nothing' kind of affair, quality-wise... Is that a fair observation? The quality at the top percolates down as far as the top couple of 2nd section bands - and then seems to extremely sharply drop off... One thing is for sure - there will be some performances of Resurgam in Wales just as off the pace as will be found at the bottom end of the grading tables in any other area.

22. WoodenFlugel

WoodenFlugel Moderator Staff Member

You seem to be thinking that youth bands are effectively 5th section. Anyone who's been to the Action Research Championships in Blackpool will know that this is far from the case.