Nationals 2011 - Cheltenham

Discussion in 'The Rehearsal Room' started by KernowSop, Sep 12, 2011.

1. KernowSop

KernowSop Member

Have had yet another practice for the Nationals, which are only 10 days away, yet I cannot get motivated by Portrait of a City. It may have seemed a challenge when I first heard the piece on a recording, but seeing the music was another story. The hardest thing I have to do is count!

We had Resurgam at the area's and that wasnt exactly anything to get your teeth in to, apparently sop players are only able to play a couple of top 'A's in any 2nd section test piece, in case it's a bit of a stretch.

I know it's all about the band pieces and how it all gels together, but isnt it ok to be a bit selfish and want something for yourself? The love of banding is waining and the motivation is disappearing.

We played Army of the Nile last night, and that was a challenge! ;)

Rant over!

2. MoominDave

MoominDave Well-Known Member

Ring up the better bands in your area, and offer yourself for depping services? Particularly if you also play Bb cornet, I'm sure you'll find a demand.

3. tat

tat Member

3rd section piece has loads in for the sop!!

4. P_S_Price

P_S_Price Member

Resurgam isnt usually dismissed off so quickly.

5. iancwilx

iancwilx Active Member

If that's your opinion, then you never really got to grips with it.
    It is a fine piece of writing and it takes a good band to bring it off.

- Mr Wilx

6. MoominDave

Maybe it is a fine piece of writing with a dull sop part? Can't say that I can recall exactly how much the sop has to do in it...

I love 'Rhapsody in Brass', but the bass trombone part is dispiritingly boring...

7. simonium

simonium Member

Which we did and qualified for Cheltenham :) (same band as KernowSop).

I'm of the opinion that Portrait Of A City is easily comparable to Resurgam - even favourably comparable, but the euphonium part isn't anything too horrendous ;)

8. Laserbeam bass

Laserbeam bass Active Member

Apparently, Roger Wesbster likes to hear the Sop an octave up wherever possible, and Steve Sykes will be listening for, and wanting as many pedals as possible from the EEb and the BBb basses :biggrin:

9. MoominDave

Actually I do recall SS writing highly appreciative comments on some gratuitous bass bone pedalling I did in an entertainment contest once...

10. cockaigne

cockaigne Member

...perhaps because that's all he could hear? ;)

11. theMouthPiece Visitor Guide

Find more discussions like this one
    Laserbeam
    I
    Cheltenham
    Laserbeam bass
  12. GJG

GJG Well-Known Member

We did once have an adjudicator (can't for the life of me remember who) who wrote (upon hearing some rather obvious BBb pedal C's towards the end of "Purcell Variations"): "Beware, some adjudicators don't like bass pedals, BUT IT'S FINE FOR ME!" (his capitalisation). Refreshingly honest, I thought ...

13. brassbandmaestro

brassbandmaestro Active Member

That's a great piece, Purcell Variaitons. We need more pieces from Kenneth Downie. I do not think we have had a test piece from his pen lately?

The sop part may not be a great part in Resurgam, but,I do find that a lot of Band people do not take music from a holistic point of view. They arre missing out on such a lot!

14. MoominDave

Lies and slander!

He actually put the band 1st, as I recall. This was at Stroud a few years ago - perhaps those over-excitable Stroud-based trombonists had been renormalising expectations prior to that... ;-)

15. iancwilx

iancwilx Active Member

That is so true.

- Mr Wilx

16. cockaigne

cockaigne Member

'Purcell Variations' is a great piece - a test-piece, but written from a musical point of view, rather than simply with the aim of challenging the players as an end in itself.

I think 'Three Part Invention' was used as the Section 2 Regionals piece in 2008, not sure if there's been anything else of his set more recently. It must be 10 years now since 'Purcell Variations' was set as a Regionals test piece (Section 1, I think) - though it's cropped up since then at Pontins and Bugle, and doubtless elsewhere - it's certainly a favourite of mine for own-choice.

17. Pav

Pav Member

You're showing your age. From memory it was 1998.

18. James Yelland

James Yelland Active Member

Concertino for Band in 2008.

19. KernowSop

KernowSop Member

Resurgam is a lovely piece and one of my favourite test pieces to listen to, all I was suggesting was that it wasnt a piece to get your teeth in to (for the sop part): it's not exactly at test for a sop player. I think its very difficult to find a test piece which can tick all the boxes for the appropriate section.

Sop players are never happy! ;)

20. Ev-entz

Ev-entz New Member

21. Sop_Or_Bass?

Sop_Or_Bass? Member

Both also like to hear their favourite instrument held on for that extra half beat or so at the end of the piece, preferably several dynamics louder than the rest of the band, to stress the importance of the Sop for Roger and Basses for Steve. Any more useful tips for the weekend?

22. theMouthPiece Visitor Guide

Find more discussions like this one
    Laserbeam
    I
    Cheltenham
    Laserbeam bass