National Youth Brass Band of Wales - help needed!

Discussion in 'The Rehearsal Room' started by NormanNumpty, Aug 28, 2008.

1. NormanNumpty

NormanNumpty New Member

Similiar to the NCBB question really - does anyone know about the National Youth Band of Wales - ie, how to audition, who to contact, pieces for audition, standard, costs involved etc?

Ta muchly

2. brassneck

brassneck Active Member

There are contact details here
  3. ronnie_the_lizard

ronnie_the_lizard Active Member

Last year Chris Thomas was trying to set up a 'Friends of NYBBW' website, see this thread, although the site link doesn't exist.

Might be worth PM'ing Chris if he doesn't see this thread and respond.
  4. Po's the name

Po's the name Member

All the details you need and contacts are on
  5. NormanNumpty

NormanNumpty New Member

Thanks everyone.

Has anyone got any recent experience of auditioning and what sort of stuff did you play? Is it a set list or free choice?
  6. Chris Thomas

Chris Thomas Member

I'm here lurking, don't worry!

As Gareth mentioned above, all you need is on the NYAW site. The Friends are a fundraising and support group and while they do brilliant work, the NYAW pages are where you'll find the audition info.

As for repertoire and standard, there are plenty of NYBBW members on tMP. Why not start with a certain Master Po?

7. Po's the name

Po's the name Member

Haha, Thanks Chris!!

At the audition you get asked to play two pieces of own choice (Grade 8 standard).
    You also get asked scales off the Grade 8 list and some sight reading, usually an excerpt from a test piece or something the examiner has made up himself.
    The examiner that usually auditions everyone for the band is Mr Robert Childs, he's the conductor of the NYBBW and so travels the country to pick his band!
    It is a must for any young Welsh brass player, a truly amazing week of brass playing and a wonderful experience, I highly recommend it.
    Plus if you're a trombone player you get to have a whole weeks tuition from Chris Thomas!!! (Will be expecting a cheque in the post Chris!):D
  8. Chris Thomas

Chris Thomas Member

Direct debit OK?
  9. ronnie_the_lizard

ronnie_the_lizard Active Member

As the saying goes ...... Every silver lining has a cloud.......

p.s. I've added some historical NYBBW images to my tMP 'Albums'