National Literacy Strategy

Discussion in 'Off-Topic Chat' started by sugarandspice, Jan 11, 2006.

1. sugarandspice

sugarandspice Active Member

Are there any Primary School Teachers on TMP?!!

Am i going completely mad or is there no speaking and listening element to the strategy apart from the extended vocabulary?! I'm not missing a whole section am i?!
  2. tam-tam2

tam-tam2 Member

Mines in school and I don't know off hand....I'll have a look through it tomorrow!
  3. imthemaddude

imthemaddude Active Member

I'm pleased im KS3 - it's hard enough!
  4. Daisy Duck

Daisy Duck Member

Off the top of my head, you're right there's very little speaking and listening in the literacy strategy which is why they brought out a whole speaking and listening pack about 2 years ago.
    We use objectives from the NC and the pack - can't remember what it was called, it was a series of A4 leaflets.
    I'll have a look for it at school tomorrow while my rabble have golden time (oh the hoy of Friday afternoons!).
  5. sugarandspice

sugarandspice Active Member

So If i'm planning my lessons, i guess its ok to just to just reference it to the NC, seeing as we havent been given the pack thing yet?? But the National Curriculum is soo vauge! Its a Vicious circle! and its stressing me out already!
  6. Daisy Duck

Daisy Duck Member

Yes, absolutely. The National Curriculum is what counts - that's statutory. I remember the NLS was criticised on my PGCE because there was no speaking and listening. Our school doesn't really use the NLS very much any more because we've moved to a very topic based curriculum which means our Literacy forms the basis of our topic work and sometimes the suggestions for text types in the NLS don't fit with our topics. We use the NLS as guidance.

You should try the TES forums Go on the primary forum and ask anyone there because they'll know for sure.