National League Rugby Union

Discussion in 'Off-Topic Chat' started by timbloke, Aug 31, 2006.

1. timbloke

timbloke Member

So someone started a Guiness Premiership thread, what about those of us hovering just below? Anyone else following any of the National League One/Two teams? I'll be keeping a close eye on Bedford Blues as I always do, once again I'll attempt, but probably fail, to get to some of the Yorkshire clashes (Including Leeds again) - although with a little less banding on at the mo, I may find time. This could be the year for us, its been about 6 or 7 years since we were last in the top flight, and we've rebuilt well to only lose out to the mighty Quins last season.

Come on the blues.

2. Pythagoras

Pythagoras Active Member

I'll be up for that Tim, with Rotherham, Leeds and Doncaster in the division us old Bedfordians have no excuse not to go, but I've not managed it either.

Would be good if they could challenge for the title. Last season was good, but Harlequins were always ahead.

3. Bungle

Bungle Member

As usual, I will be following the best Merseyside team after Liverpoll FC, Waterloo RFC. Used to pass their ground on the train everyday on the way to Liverpool and have followed them ever since. I think its going to be tuff for them having been promoted, but if they can hang in there for the first season, it would be great.

4. As a former first teamer with Halifax RUFC (58 games, no tries, subbed far too many times to mention!), I shall be keeping my eyes on National 2 this season - as for you Bedford fans, any of you travelled up to Ovenden Park 3 years ago for a fourth round Powergen Cup match against us? Let me refresh your memories - you lot won 13-14 with a highly disputed try...... At that time we were in North East league 2 and if we had've won, a trip to Leicester awaited - alas dodgy refereeing decisions abounded and our dream of playing at the home of the-then best team in England was destroyed :(

Andy - Manchester only just beat us on Saturday....

5. Bungle

Bungle Member

Wahay, first league win for Waterloo against the Cornish pasties.

6. timbloke

timbloke Member

Well done, better start than Bedford... still we are at least giving ourselvs room for improvement!

7. persins

persins Member

As well as supporting London Irish, I will be following the progress of the Exeter Chiefs. I used to go and watch them while at uni and even managed to get into the posh bit a couple of times since Lympstone and the Chiefs had the same Sponsors!

I'll also be keeping an eye out for Newbury! Went to see them play Wasps in pre-season and was pleasantly surprised by them!

8. Bungle

Bungle Member

Oh well, Waterloo stuffed by Nottingham 63-17. Crunch game I think will be against fellow promotees Mosley. I think it will be tough for the smaller teams as some of the top sides are well funded.

9. timbloke

timbloke Member

It is slowly filtering down the teams. A few years back, when the game went professional, only the top premiership teams had decent funding. Now a lot of the top first div teams do - look at the success of the Earth Titans (Rotherham), and Pertemps Bees. Great bit of advertising as well!

Bedford have turned the corner after that poor start, 4th and only three points separating the top 5.... Waterloo away next week... Bring it on!!

10. bit of a leeds tykes fan miself, hope they can recover after losing so many players to premiership clubs, although im more of a football and RL fan than RU so i dont keep quite as close tabs on the tykes, hope they do well though!

11. theMouthPiece Visitor Guide

Find more discussions like this one
    National League
    Guiness Premiership
    National League One
    Yorkshire
    Leeds
  12. timbloke

timbloke Member

Waterloo 13 - 42 Bedford

Finally things are looking up. 2nd in the table and only the classic battle of the late 90s - Bedford v Rotherham to stand in our way of victory.

13. Bungle

Bungle Member

Exeter 13 - 22 Waterloo. Still in bottom three though :(

14. Well we beat Cambridge 17-13 yesterday to cement our place in the top 6 of National 2....... Up the Ovenden Park boys!!!!

Andy, smiling warmly