National Finals Test Pieces ??

Discussion in 'The Rehearsal Room' started by Blagger, May 20, 2008.

1. Accidental

Accidental Supporting Member

Oh. I always thought it was Philip MORRIS and Nikki Bland. I'd also assumed (apparently wrongly) that Kapitol being based on the other side of the country to the companies that it is publicly apparent Mr Biggs owns was a bit of a clue..... ;)

Anyhoo, completely off topic, sorry - I was just very curious as to why Philip appears to be getting the blame for something not everyone knows/thinks he has any responsibility for. I guess unless he or someone from Kapitol comes on here to confirm one way or the other, we'll never know!

2. Masterblaster jnr

Masterblaster jnr Active Member

now i'm no expert on these matters so please don't bring me down in a ball of fire if this is wrong, but if Phillip Biggs does own Kapitol (which i didn't think he does), doesn't mean to say he's the webmaster does it. He might have told the webmaster but he's just not put it on.

3. WorldofBrass.com

WorldofBrass.com Active Member

Where in the brass band press exactly?

4. brassbandmaestro

brassbandmaestro Active Member

I thought I saw it in The Bandsman, sometime ago. Maybe, my memory si wrong on that. Anyway, I thought you sounded a bit terse there worldofbrass.com.

5. WorldofBrass.com

WorldofBrass.com Active Member

Woops, sorry. Just got a bit uppity that people still link Philip Biggs and Kapitol Promotions. We have worked, and continue to work with, both parties and have never been aware that Philip Biggs has, or has had, anything to do with the ownership/running of Kapitol Promotions.

6. brassbandmaestro

Seems a lot of people are a bit confuzzled as to the ownership of Kapitol. My brain cells dont seem to be working very well on this. Can anyone help?

7. Chunky

Chunky Active Member

I will explain this again.

According to the records at Companies House, which is a house where Companies have to log all their details including ownership, profit / loss, balance sheets etc and cruically the names of directors.

The record states: Kapitol Promotions are not owned by a parent company. The Directors are Nikki Bland and Phillip Morris, who incidentally hold no other directorships according to the record.

Apologies for appearing terse and sarcastic but I just get really frustrated with posts like yours when reading back further its been explained why there are no evidential grounds, other than something someone may have read in a copy of the Bandsman for assuming Phillip Biggs owns Kapitol.

8. brassneck

brassneck Active Member

- that also can be backed up on 4BR (just for the record)

http://www.4barsrest.com/articles/2004/art419.asp

9. Chunky

Chunky Active Member

10. brassneck

brassneck Active Member

I'm still curious about what has been chosen as the test-piece though ... if it is a 'band classic' as some rumours suggest, there can't be many left to choose from. :dunno

11. lowsaints

lowsaints Member

Pardon the confusion of a semi-literate Bass Player, where does the Mid July announcement date come from?

I have been religiously checking the Kapitol website for the eagerly anticipated news of what challenge the Music Panel have decided upon for the Albert Hall this year, but haven's seen anything saying they will be announcing the piece in Mid July. I guess I'm missing something somewhere.

THe last main reference on the news section of the Kapitol site was on 3rd June and said

"
    Kapitol will make an announcement soon regarding the selection of the Championship section test-piece and the adjudication panel.
    Check back soon for more information."

Are we sure that we have to endure another fortnight of speculation and rumours??

Cheers

12. brassbandmaestro

Ok, people may get annoyed now and then for certain situations that come up in the posts.

Sorry if my post caused annoyance but I was only asking for a bit of help in trying to rectify some confusion that was going on!

13. Accidental

Accidental Supporting Member

Its here - end of the first paragraph :)

14. jonesbp

jonesbp Member

This is just saying that the 5 Finals pieces will always be released BY mid July each year. Nowhere does it say that the championship section piece will be released middle of July this year. and you would assume that since the 1st, 2nd etc.. pieces have been announced for september, October finalists should know 3 or so weeks after this. not quite sure exactly when the others were announced but I'm sure I saw them more than 3 weeks ago.

15. jonesbp

jonesbp Member

3rd June. 3 1/2 weeks ago. with the championship finals taking place 2 weeks after the others, seems a bit strange we don't know already. Ah well, I enjoy the waiting and it does say that they will be released soon.

16. PeterBale

PeterBale Moderator Staff Member

Latest from BB:

17. lowsaints

lowsaints Member

Well hopefully BB will have it right.

Cheers

18. brassbandmaestro

Then eve4rhyone be starting to moan about those test pieces!!!!

19. steve butler

steve butler Active Member

eve4rhyone ??

I bet you are one of those bass players that has to write the fingering on his parts (bass ones that is) :rolleyes:

20. brassneck

brassneck Active Member

4BR have been heavily hinting or thinking that Concerto for Band (Kenneth Downie) is the candidate for the RAH. The only reference I have found regarding what could be this work is below ...

http://www.theisb.com/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=33&Itemid=35

If it is this piece, it's featured on the International Staff Band album "St. Magnus - The Music Of Kenneth Downie"

Last edited: Jun 29, 2008