National Finals Test Pieces

Discussion in 'The Rehearsal Room' started by CubbRep, May 6, 2006.

1. CubbRep

CubbRep Member

Has anyone heard any rumours as to what test pieces are being used for the finals?
  2. Naomi McFadyen

Naomi McFadyen New Member

No... I'm just waiting for it to be announced.... which hopefully won't be too long now.
  3. Seedhouse

Seedhouse Active Member

When do they usually announce them- both the lower sections and the Champ? :-?
  4. Naomi McFadyen

Naomi McFadyen New Member

I reckon the end of the month- but funny how we forget each year when they announce these things eh!.... can't be too long surely though, seeing as bands would need to get hold of music and start rehearsing soon.....
  5. Deano

Deano Member

I heard yesterday at the Ebbw Vale contest that all the pieces are being announced on 1st June.
  6. horn-girlie

horn-girlie Member

i think the 2nd section final's piece is Alan Fernie's 'gothic danes' if that helps anyone!
  7. Bayerd

Bayerd Active Member

Probably because most bands only qualify once in a blue moon, they don't need to pay attention most years!
  8. Jan H

Jan H Moderator Staff Member

The Belgian National Finals test pieces will be announced on May 30th ;-)
    Actually, they were selected by last year's adjudicators and kept in closed envellope since then...
  9. Mr_Euniverse

Mr_Euniverse Member

I remember playing in the South West regionals in 2002 with SWT Woodfalls, and they announced 'Masquerade' as the finals testpiece even before our area contest! That was extra incentive for me to play that solo euph part!
  10. I wonder when the 2nd section will actually have a piece worth listening to?

In my opinion, the pieces for both the regionals and final's in the 2nd section have been very technical, but not always very nice to listen to, v.w.'s variations was probably the best to listen to in recent years but even that took me a few listens to get used to it, and even then, it wouldn't get in my list for most listenable pieces.

3rd section on the other hand, has had some great pieces to listen to, gallimaufry, tam o shanter, vizcaya, cherchebi, northern landscapes, st austell suite (albeit im going back a few years there now), but the point is, is there any pieces out there with the technical difficulty AND the music to listen to that the 2nd section could play?

a lot of people moaned at how hard images was for the 2nd section, but i couldn't bare to listen to it, let alone play it!, and i felt that belmont variations just got boring in the end at last years final, thank god gallimaufry followed it a day later lol

soz if this is a bit outa topic but its just a little finals point i wanted to make originally :)
    Last edited: May 25, 2006
  11. ignore me

ignore me Member

Images was the first 2nd section piece i've ever had a problem with actually! The moor of Venice and Sword, Jewel etc were both good pieces for the regionals and I played a Philip Sparke variations on a swiss thingy at the nationals, which was both playable and listenable.

Whoever chooses the test pieces must have been paying attention to all the (recent)grumblings about difficulty as well as noticing the emptier-than-usual halls - surely the panel must now think a little more carefully about which piece the've chosen?!

p.s. 'gothic danes' - sounds like a rival to the finish eurovision entry!
    (yeah i know it's dances)
  12. horn-girlie

horn-girlie Member

oops, didnt notices that typo :oops: :oops:
  13. Matt-Trom939

Matt-Trom939 Member

Ive heard several rumours going round that 'The Judges Of The Secret Court' is being discussed as the test piece for the national finals in London. Dunno if theres any truth behind it but to me it seems an odd choice. What do other people think?
  14. TheMusicMan

TheMusicMan tMP Founder Staff Member

Yep - that's true unfortunately.
  15. chrisgs

chrisgs Member

are the pieces meant to be announced today?
  16. Liz Courts

Liz Courts Active Member

I hope so. Although I'm going to be away all day, so I'm going to have to wait until tonight until I find out. :(

I want to know now!!
  17. SammyT

SammyT Member

oooo exciting i think i am breaking this.....
    ...the third section piece is sinfonietta in three movements for brassband by gordan langford....will find out others in a moment
  18. SammyT

SammyT Member

Here are the others....
    was i first????
    section one is Ballet from 'The Perfect Fool'
    by Gustav Holst. arr Peter Parkes

section Two - Gothic Dances
    by Alan Fernie

section four - Valerius Variations. by Philip Sarke.
  19. sparkling_quavers

sparkling_quavers Active Member

20. Dave1

Dave1 Member

Is the Gordon Langford one the one that was used for Best of Brass many moons ago ?