National Finals Test-pieces - errata

Discussion in 'The Rehearsal Room' started by Thirteen Ball, Aug 8, 2013.

1. Thirteen Ball

Thirteen Ball Active Member

Hi all.

Is anyone aware of Errata sheets for any of the national finals test pieces?

There's a few things about 'Fanfares and Love Songs' which don't sit right, so I'd like to check them.

Not turned anything up in the usual places (google, Kapitol website etc.)

2. theMouthPiece Related Searches

Find more discussions like this one
    Fanfares
    Errata
    Love Songs
    google
    Kapitol
  3. tubafran

tubafran Active Member

We are playing Penlee in the 3rd Section and this week we discovered that the printed euph part we have is different to at least two other bands copies - in bar 221 the third crotchet on ours is printed as an F but on the score and on the other part I've seen is a G.

During sectionals we have also noted missing dynamics on various parts.

We have contacted Faber Music direct as it's there publication but the "brass band consultant" is on holiday for 2 weeks. I have asked them to explain how it is possible for one set of parts to be different to another, no indication of different reprint on the score or parts

4. KMJ Recordings

KMJ Recordings Supporting Member

In the front of the copy Jess has at home there's an annotation that says that during the Leyland recording some alterations were made to the score by Simon and that 'this' version of the score (and recording) should be taken as definitive.....

If yours doesn't say that it may be an earlier version.

Simon is on Facebook - he's a very approachable guy and you could always drop him a message?

Last edited: Aug 8, 2013
  5. MoominDave

MoominDave Well-Known Member

Any in particular Andi? Just curious.

6. PFmaestro

PFmaestro New Member

This Penlee - I believe they are discussing Fanfare and Love Songs by Gavin Higgins? I understand there was an original version that was recorded or used by Tredegar and then changes were made after.

Just need Kapitol, I guess to confirm the version used and then purchase the right one!

Last edited: Aug 8, 2013
  7. tubafran

tubafran Active Member

To quote from Kapitol website announcement

"Penlee by Simon Dobson
    Published by Faber Music
    Simon Dobson wrote this popular work in 2009 as a descriptive work of the 1981 Penlee lifeboat and the new cargo ship the Union Star tragedy, in which both vessels and their crews were lost in a storm. Said Alan Hope: “We are certain that bands and audiences will be moved by this wonderful, but tragic work.”

Doesn't give much assistance there perhaps

Ours doesn't have the note in the front of the score mentioned above re corrections after the recording, we ordered the piece from our usual music supplier when it was announced and they had to wait for them to be stocked in from Faber.

How are we supposed to know we have purchased the wrong copy?

8. PFmaestro

PFmaestro New Member

Apologies - I didnt see Penlee mentioned...

Penlee and Fanfare and Love Songs previously mentioned are both Faber Music and the latter being Gavin Higgins.

Agreed, down to stockists to confirm they have the up to date version before distributing to bands. They may have sent out the older version because they had stock. But who knows!

9. Thirteen Ball

There's been a few picked out of the score - which I don't have to hand at the moment. It's mostly missing dynamics, performance instructions that don't make sense, rather than actual wrong notes.

For example, bar 84 of the 3rd movement, BBb basses are unison with bass trom. Bass trom hairpins up to forte and back down to mezzo-piano. BBb basses go up and stay up before ending rather unceremoniously on the barline.

And at bar 54 in the slow movement, half the band goes up to forte, half the band is at MP and the balance just doesn't make sense.

Like I say, we've identified a few more, but I don't have a score. :/

10. owain_s

owain_s Member

There's a couple of runs in the E flat bass part of Penlee which have struck me as probably errors, in bars 202 and 207. At first glance it looks like parallel fifths, but either there's numerous incorrect/missing accidentals, or they're a very peculiar jumble of perfect, diminished and augmented intervals. Anyone have an idea?

11. Bass Trumpet

Bass Trumpet Active Member

Only forte, Dave ;)

12. theMouthPiece Related Searches

Find more discussions like this one
    Fanfares
    Errata
    Love Songs
    google
    Kapitol
  13. MoominDave

MoominDave Well-Known Member

There's the erratum, right there...

14. Thirteen Ball

Ignore the one about bar 54 in the slow movement. The dynamics are right, it's just all about context - which we didn't really find on the first few run-throughs.

15. tubafran

tubafran Active Member

Pleased to say that further to my post here and and an email we have been contacted direct and the appropriate score and parts are winging there way to us. We did not however get a similar response from the supplier where we bought the parts - suggested we should obtain a set off another band and mark up any discrepancies.

16. nethers

nethers Active Member

There really are some shockers out there! I have had a few interesting run-ins with music suppliers. I might start a thread...

17. tubafran

tubafran Active Member

It seems that there still are, having just returned from a week's holiday expecting to have received a new set of correct parts it would appear that we are to be sadly disappointed.

I have been told we are now awaiting a errata for Penlee - presumably only for bands that had been sent the wrong set of parts in the first place.

3 weeks to go to the finals and we will be messing about altering parts which should have been sent out right in the first place. Not sure how many bands got the wrong set but it should be possible for everyone competing to check the comments above to find out which you have.

Anyone know which copy of the score the adjudicators will be getting or will they get two to work off?

18. tubafran

tubafran Active Member

Official errata now received

Following the recording of Penlee by Leyland Band, a short list
    of small revisions were added to the score and parts of the
    work. Due to an administrative error, an unrevised set of
    material for this work has been sent out to at least one
    competing band in the Third Section of the National Brass Band
    Championships to be held on 21 and 22 September. The
    revisions are as follows; please check the score and parts you
    have and update them as necessary/appropriate:

Bar 99:2nd Baritone f quaver, not p
    Bar 221: Euphonium third crotchet G not F
    Bar 275-6 : All horns, baritones, euphoniums and basses crescendo through bar 275 to accented sffz on the quaver in
    bar 276.Trombones crescendo from silence at the start of the
    bar 275 to sffz on the quaver in bar 276. Also add a downward semitone glissando in all three parts, cutting through to F
    trombone), D# (2nd trombone) and F# (bass trombone).

With apologies for this confusion