National Finals Test Pieces Announced!

Discussion in '2007 National Championships of Great Britain discu' started by stopher, May 31, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. stephenmrry

stephenmrry Member

Is the elegy part of second section the barry piece the same as the one on his cd sunburst?

2. Brian Kelly

Brian Kelly Active Member

Apart from "On Radcliffe Highway" in the 1st section (a tremendous piece, as has already been stated) all the other pieces are brand new.

3. Brian Kelly

Brian Kelly Active Member

Congratulations to Mr Perks - it turns out he was right about the Championship section test piece after all!:clap:

4. sunny_jimbob

sunny_jimbob Member

Just had a listen to my Essays CD. Woof! Looking forward to getting my teeth into that!

5. CubbRep

CubbRep Member

Any info on 4th section piece?
    CubbRep

6. SuperMosh

SuperMosh New Member

Perky knows things. He scares me with his knowledge.

7. Moy

Moy Active Member

If it is it is really beautiful - real musical test for principal cornet.

8. Maestro

Maestro Active Member

Worth going to Harrogate just to listen for the Bass Trom part methinks :biggrin:

9. Kiz7

Kiz7 Member

That's cos he is a very well connected man! After all, 2 of his friends are probably as powerful in the BB world as Ronnie and Reggie Kray were in the underworld!!

10. PeterBale

PeterBale Moderator Staff Member

Solos right across the band - including BBb ;) - and needing players who can hold their nerve! It will be interesting to see how the conductors approach it, as I've heard various interpretations since the premiere in 1978: Stephen Cobb's most recent rendition was very convincing, balancing the various sections and producing something very Ivesian.

11. Chunky

Chunky Active Member

And to buy me beer!!!!! :biggrin:

Looking forward to seeing my part for the 2nd section piece. Must admit not having seen it before have no prejudices about the piece. Just hope its enjoyable.

12. ian perks

ian perks Active Member

Cheers Brian;)

13. ian perks

ian perks Active Member

im just waiting for my CD to come through the letter box now of the 1st section piece

14. Maestro

Maestro Active Member

That would be the primary reason of course old partner :eek:

15. beccawheeze2

beccawheeze2 Member

Any idea if or when there will a recording available of Roman Tryptych?

16. Keith

Keith Member

Thundersley had a quick bash at the 3rd Section piece last night. Pleased to say it got a big thumbs up from everyone, there is something for everyone to do.

Top F going to a top A are the 1st two notes for the Eb Basses!! :clap: :biggrin:

17. bbg

bbg Member

Looking forward to first run through "Imperium" on Sunday evening - a question before then from our percussionists - a lot to do, and how many of them will the piece require?

18. General-lee

General-lee New Member

3rd section perc requirements

Percussion requirements:-
    Timpani:- Three timpani.
    Percussion 1:- Suspended Cymbal, Large Tom, Snare Drum.
    Percussion 2:- Bass Drum, Suspended Cymbal, Tam, Tam, Glockenspiel, Tambourine.

Ours don't know yet. :eek:

19. andyp

andyp Active Member

Did a bit of digging on "Imperium" - apparently it's based on the Thomas Harris book of the same name, about Cicero's rise to power in Rome from obscurity.

Like the 1st section piece, looking forward to listening to a few of those.

20. cookie101880

cookie101880 Member

I've actually heard it's based on the 4 part book series Emperor by Con Iggulden. Someone I know spoke to the composer and he told him that. Ran through it Monday night, great piece but is going to be a challenge to a lot of bands. Same pressure on the tenor horn player like the area piece as the 2nd movement starts four bars in 6/4 on their own!!!!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.