National Finals Test Pieces 2007 - what are your preferences?

Discussion in 'The Adjudicators' Comments' started by mjwarman, Mar 26, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Texus

Texus Member

Any gossip on the Championship Section piece? Please - not on oldie this year. Apocalypse anyone?
  2. KMJ Recordings

KMJ Recordings Supporting Member

Good contest that'd be when virtually everyone withdraws :rolleyes:

Sorry and all that.....
  3. KMJ Recordings

KMJ Recordings Supporting Member

The difficulty of a piece never changes.

Perhaps the standards of Bands changes around the piece, but a piece simply just doesn't get easier.
  4. glitzy

glitzy Member

Would love Tallis Variations or Lowry Sketchbook for First section. Nice pieces with lots to do for all.
  5. rjones3

rjones3 New Member

How about the devil and the deep blue sea- Bourgeois, now that would be a challenge for the championship section. And how about firestorm for the second section.
  6. glitzy

glitzy Member

Good call for Devil and the Deep blue sea!

Just thought of another for First - Salamander , lovely piece with some great textures. McCabe is a legend!
  7. Anno Draconis

Anno Draconis Active Member

It certainly was in 1993, when it was the top section test-piece. I played it with NCT and it was a proper swine, especially the fugue. We played a blinder but it didn't matter 'cos Fairey's and Parkes were on awesome, unbeatable form.

How about some Kenneth Downie - St Magnus, or The Promised Land?

I'd like something new for the 3rd section - any chance of a new commission, music panel?
  8. matthetimp

matthetimp Member

I know at least 3 bands in the finals who could place this very very well. not saying the others can't as i don't know them that well.
  9. Tuba Dave

Tuba Dave Member

The 3rd section had a new commission two years ago for the finals- ‘A Gallimaufry Suite' by Phillip Harper. i thought it was fantastic and whish we could play it again this year, but i know thats not possible. :(
  10. WoodenFlugel

WoodenFlugel Moderator Staff Member

Well they must be in totally the wrong section then. Essence of Time would make a good 1st section finals piece though.
  11. Chunky

Chunky Active Member

So if they can play Essence of Time very very well I look forward to playing for 4th place at best! As WoodenFlugel says they must be in totally the wrong section.
  12. matthetimp

matthetimp Member

Yes you are right. The bands are full of championship players from the last 2-3 years who have been used to playing at this calibar.
  13. WoodenFlugel

WoodenFlugel Moderator Staff Member

Well in that case it's not really a fair test for the average 2nd section band then is it?
  14. Mr_Euniverse

Mr_Euniverse Member

I remember in 2002 (I think), the test piece for the National Finals were announced (Masquerade) before I took the stage for the area for Woodfalls.
    Why are the contest organisers leaving less and less time between announcing the testpiece and the contest?
  15. Jonesy

Jonesy Member

Either of those 2 (preferably the former) or Concerto Grosso would be quality!
  16. matthetimp

matthetimp Member

I was asked my opinion on what test piece i would like to see and gave my answer. Not everyone agree's obviously, but the whole forum site is only meant as a bit of fun and banter between fellow brass banders. One person isn't going to sway anyone descision anyhow.
  17. Texus

Texus Member

Awesome piece - unfortunately too long i think - c. 18 mins. Extreme Makeover anyone?
  18. Jan H

Jan H Moderator Staff Member

Concerto Grosso or Extreme Makeover would be great.
    Or one of the pieces that were written for the Norwegian Nationals in recent years?
  19. Jonesy

Jonesy Member

In fact i've a feeling the YBS recording of Grosso is more like 20 minutes. Hadn't really thought about the length, you're right, I'm guessing it's too long for RAH :-?
  20. tam-tam2

tam-tam2 Member

Argue amongst yourselves what section you think these could be played but I think James Curnow could be used....either Trittico or Brass Metamorphosis.......I am thinking First/Second Section. Other ones I can think of that haven't been used at the National Finals recently are Symphony of Marches, High Peak, Variations on a Ninth to name a few.

Sorry never played in the Third and Fourth Section so don't really want to mention test pieces for them.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.