National Finals Test Pieces 2007 - what are your preferences?

Discussion in 'The Adjudicators' Comments' started by mjwarman, Mar 26, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. mjwarman

mjwarman Member

I know these don't get announced until May/June time, but I seem to remember an really interesting thread last year where people tried to guess them, (and did so very well a few weeks before they were actually announced!)

Does anyone have any thoughts on what they would like the pieces to be?

Or do people think it will be newly commissioned pieces?

Let the discussion begin................:)
  2. Ipswich trom

Ipswich trom Member

Well, a year on from the death of Sir Malcolm Arnold, how about his "Fantasy for Brass Band" as the first section piece.
  3. Chunky

Chunky Active Member

Really don't have a preference for what we get in the second section. As with Carnival, you have no choice but to play it. And of course moan about it at great length!

I hope we get a piece that has something for everyone, players and listeners alike.

I also hope it is a real challenge so that the best band on the day who copes with all aspects of the piece is the declared winner!
  4. imthemaddude

imthemaddude Active Member

Festival Music 1st
    Tournament for Brass 2nd section
    Triptych 3rd
    Hinemoa 4th

5. iancwilx

iancwilx Active Member

An excellent suggestion - I'll go along with that.
    - Wilkie
  6. super_sop

super_sop Supporting Member

TBH, I don't care what we get!!!:)

I'm just chuffed to be going!!:biggrin:
  7. SuperMosh

SuperMosh New Member

I have £50 at the bookies that Section 1 will be Indian Summer.

Have heard a rumour though it may be 'Year of the Dragon' for First Section.
  8. mjwarman

mjwarman Member

Don't get me wrong, i'm glad to be going too, but it would be interesting to see if anyone can figure out what we will have to play!

Some good choices so far, keep them coming people!
  9. sheilawinter

sheilawinter Member

i would like to play
    Of Men Of Mountains
    for the first section what a fantastic piece of music
  10. Anno Draconis

Anno Draconis Well-Known Member

Certainly is, but it's a heck of a blow, and a bit long for the finals - it was allegedly rejected as a top section finals piece for being too long
  11. ian perks

ian perks Active Member

Right ive have heard from a very good person who is in the know that it could be for 1st section either
    James Cook or Variations on a 9th
  12. imthemaddude

Trouble is Triptych is my all time 3rd section favourite and I think I'll end up getting jealous we're not playing it!
  13. Chris Hicks

Chris Hicks Member

I'd love London Overture in the 2nd section!!

Possibly to do with the fact our band has played it before and won on it before but still would be a good piece for the section!

Hard but achieveable!

From last year's nationals i think the championship section may get a golden oldie again because it did attract a bigger crowd over the whole day!

Just my 2 pennies worth

14. tam-tam2

tam-tam2 Member

Already done unfortunately, a couple of years ago....shame, it is a great piece.
  15. GJG

GJG Well-Known Member

Please God, no! Anything but Eric Ball! I'd rather do "Carnival" again ...
  16. Morghoven

Morghoven Member

For me, that's the main thrust of what the pieces should be. The competition is effectively a 'winner takes all' shoot-out for the title and promotion to the next section, and as such is a totally different ball game to the Areas where every place counts for every band. Make 'em sweat for it!

Just remember in the haste to give the 1st section Year of the Dragon or similar that the top section still have to play something at own choice contests and the like...!

I personally would like to see some more modern-style music being used. Ok, I didn't think Prague was a very good piece of music, but the style really confused a lot of bands who seemed to dismiss it too easily as 'noise'. It would really expose those bands and MDs who did their homework, and those who didn't.

I would like to see John Adams being commissioned to write a test piece for the top section...Or is that wishful thinking?
  17. matthetimp

matthetimp Member

Le Roi Dy's - 1st section
    The Essence of Time - 2nd section
    Partita for Band - 3rd section
    St. Austel Suite - 4th section.

Come on lets have a good contest this year with all the bands in each section having to play excellent to challange for a podium place.
  18. GJG

GJG Well-Known Member

There are several "Partita"s; I assume you're not thinking of the Heaton ...

... nor the Sparke, for that matter ... ?
  19. GJG

GJG Well-Known Member

That's the trouble with these sorts of threads; people lose their grip on reality ...
  20. imthemaddude

Oooooo my first area piece I played on 3rd man down. Don't think it is easy enough to drop to 4th section yet though, even if it is for the finals. I'd love to play it again especially the slow churchyard movement.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.