National Finals Test-Pieces 2005

Discussion in 'The Rehearsal Room' started by robcav, Mar 16, 2005.

1. robcav

robcav Member

Can this be true?

I have been informed by our secretary that the date by which we learn of the National Finals contest test piece is to be some time in June. I was under the impression that this announcement would be made after the last area contest.
    Surely, if these decisions have been made already, which I trust they have, all competing bands at the finals should be informed at the earliest opportunity. Whilst I quite appreciate the argument that three or so months should be enough for bands to prepare the pieces and all bands in their repspective sections are in the same boat, I feel that delaying the announcement does a disservice to all bands given the enormous difficulty which I suspect most bands have in achieving full reheasals through July and August due to holidays. Does anyone have any information on this subject either to allay or confirm my fears.

2. Straightmute

Straightmute Active Member

I'm afraid so. They seem to have been announced in June for the last few years; maybe I'm showing my age but I can remember when they were printed in the Area contest programme...

Cheers

D

3. Just give it a week or two until your band gets submerged in yet another "test piece"...........

fun ain't it?

4. HorniKaz

HorniKaz Supporting Member

Yep, I'm afraid it is right at the beginning of the holidays when they announce the piece. Then you've got to get the thing!!!!

It's crazy that its not sooner because you would have thought that the powers that be would have something in mind when they're setting the pieces for the regionals. The last 2 years when we've qualified, we've worked on the piece for Pontins almost to perfection before the nationals piece was announced.

Lets hope there are some good choices of pieces for you to get your teeth into this year.

5. dyl

dyl Active Member

How long do we think it'll be before we get an annual 'Finals' CD? ;)

6. NeilW

NeilW Member

I thought they used to announce them just 6 weeks before (probably even longer ago!). However, all the finals were in October then, so the holidays were almost over when the piece was announced - which was just as well as the band I was in in those days stopped rehearsing altogether during the school holidays! We certainly weren't rehearsing "finals" pieces before the end of the summer term...

7. johnflugel

johnflugel Active Member

In 2003 (Prague year), I definately remember Peggy Tomlinson announcing from the Yorkshire Area stage that 'Theme and Eight Variations' would be the test for the qualifying bands. I also remember the sharp intake of breath when she announced that 'Masquerade' would be the test for the 2002 Finals as well.

Unless ofcourse I have got the above totally wrong, can I assume that announcing the piece in June is relatively new thing?

8. ignore me

ignore me Member

How are going to get the errata sheets published in time then?

Maybe that's the reason for the delay, everone will have perfectly written parts that match up to the score with no 'that must be wrong' note clashes.

Or maybe not

9. PeterBale

PeterBale Moderator Staff Member

Checking back through the old threads, last year's announcement came out in the last week of May - Butlins & Finals pieces announced at the same time.

10. iggmeister

iggmeister Member

If my sources are correct, the Championship section testpiece may not exist yet!

The mind boggles, eh?

Igg

11. theMouthPiece Visitor Guide

Find more discussions like this one
    Finals Test
    contest test piece
    difficulty
    finals
    National Finals
  12. PeterBale

PeterBale Moderator Staff Member

Do you mean no-one's finished the transcription of "Handel's Largo" yet?

13. iggmeister

iggmeister Member

Shhhhh!

It's a secret.

It was a toss up between that and Griegs Piano Concerto ("with 'im and 'im") although Andre Preview was not able to meet the October deadline.

Igg

14. cornetgirl

cornetgirl Active Member

I'd heard that every band had to accompany Peter Kay and Tony Christie in Is This The Way To Armadillo!!!! (Blame the other half for renaming that!)

Rach x

15. Sam Atherton

Sam Atherton Member

Well that would be one way to improve audience numbers... :D

16. Test pieces for Harrogate 2005.

hi everyone

Just wondered if anyone has an idea when the test pioeces for Harrogate 2005 will be announced?

Aplogies if this has already been done - I couldn't find the thread on a search.

Cheers

Toppy the Tenor

"Up the 'Ead"

Edit: Threads merged! (dyl)

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 21, 2005
  17. Laserbeam bass

Laserbeam bass Active Member

Last week in May or first week in June.

18. brassneck

brassneck Active Member

.. did they ever announce that it would be a new commission for the championship section? For some odd reason, the new arrangement of Benvenuto Cellini (Berlioz, arr. Chris Jenkins) has been at the back of my mind. Probably totally off-course but hunches are difficult to shift sometimes.

p.s., I know the thread's about Harrogate, but all the tests are announced at the same time.

19. AndyCat

AndyCat Active Member

My guess would be the top section is a new commision or original work by a composer associated with a famous Welsh band ;-)

20. brassneck

brassneck Active Member

If it's John Pickard, I would relish one of his new works! His compositions for brass have been stunning so far.

21. AndyCat

AndyCat Active Member

Maybe, who knows!?! I won't commit anything further........... I could be completely wrong!

22. theMouthPiece Visitor Guide

Find more discussions like this one
    Finals Test
    contest test piece
    difficulty
    finals
    National Finals