National Finals test piece rumours

Discussion in 'The Rehearsal Room' started by iggmeister, Mar 21, 2006.

1. iggmeister

iggmeister Member

Let the speculation commence now that the Areas have been and gone for another year.

I have heard various rustlings but this year my best leads indicate that we may see the Championship section return to the classical repertoire.

Anybody else heard any morsels?

Don't we have the equivalent of the '3am girls' on tMP?

Rumour Mill on 4BR seems as if the union has pulled out all the workers...

2. brassneck

brassneck Active Member

- does that mean that Christian Jenkins' arrangement of Benvenuto Cellini (Berlioz) is being mentioned again?
  3. iggmeister

iggmeister Member

...well you have just mentioned it but, no, that was not the piece I was thinking of

I'm just testing the water here really!!

4. prince_turhan

prince_turhan New Member

I wouldn't like to JUDGE, because it may be a SECRET, but you may end up in COURT if you say!!

Just the rumour mill churning away ....
  5. Sonny Barker

Sonny Barker Member

So you're saying that if we aren't careful, LES will be hauled up before FRANC and his enormous JUGES

Oh no! Please, say it isn't so...

That would be a MASSIVE leap backwards, especially after the all the positives from Eden.

NO no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no.

What about Wilby's Music for the Moving Image, that Gregoritas piece that everyone's on about or even Heaton's Partita.

There's SO much good stuff that hasn't been used. Let's get our best bands to play some of that before we reach for the Berlioz.

I'd rather hear ... <gulp>... PRAGUE at the RAH than some reprocessed arrangement.

Apart from Le Roi d'Ys - that's too good for the RAH!
  6. Chris Hicks

Chris Hicks Member

Someone told me at the weekend that peter graham is writing a piece for the nationals!? Would have a tune which would be good!:biggrin:
  7. ekimmort

ekimmort Member

No doubt they will give the 2nd section something easy like "JAZZ" or "Blitz"? (only jesting)
  8. Jan H

Jan H Moderator Staff Member

Peter Graham for the Regionals ánd the Nationals? Would they do that? :confused:
    Or you mean for one of the lower sections...?

I'd like to see Apocalyps for the Championship section... ;)
  9. Deano

Deano Member

The other 4 movements from Images of the Millenium for 2nd Section.
  10. trumpetmike

trumpetmike Active Member

From what I can work out you have two options:
    1) Make it technically challenging, so that all the adjudicators need to do is complete a split count.
    2) Make it musical, which will mean that the adjudicators might have to do some work;)

On a serious note - I would love the bands to be given the chance to demonstrate musicality and interpretation, over sheer technical virtuosity. This would run the risk, of course, that the musical interpretation of the MD might not match the interpretation that the adjudicator is looking for, but it would certainly create a more rewarding atmosphere for those contest listeners who would otherwise be spending the whole day listening to virtually identical performances (with just splits, extreme dynamics and intonation lapses to tell the bands apart).

I often have this discussion with many of my students - if you take the finest 20 players in the world, put them in a room and ask them to play a one octave C major scale (at the same tempo), would you be able to tell the difference?
    The chances are high that you would still be able to pick a favourite. It will take a great deal of listening, but it is quite a possibility.

Something related to this - I have attended a number of conferences and been witness to a load of guys trying out instruments (and saw some of this at the Areas last Sunday). The very top guys (I am talking world class soloists, not the principal cornet of such and such a band) are not the ones who pick up an instrument then proceed play their fastest highest notes, they play low and middle register and slowly, so they can truly hear the sound. I saw Allen Vizzutti do just this a couple of years ago - there was an air of excitement around a lot of people when they saw him go over to an instrument and pick it up, obviously expecting the extreme technical flamboyance he is famous for - the shock (and disappointment) that ensued when he proceeded to play a slow melody was audible. It sounded beautiful - there was nothing technical in his playing, yet it was very clear that this guy was something special (and he really is).

Sorry, slightly off topic, but I hope that it is an illustration of what I am talking about.
  11. starperformer

starperformer Member

Contest Music for 1st section
    Life Divine for 2nd
    you heard it here first
  12. tubaturk

tubaturk Member

Apparently the music selection committee used Lancelot to decide this year's regional test pieces. However, following the outrage at some of his choices, the committee have turned to Guinevere for the National Finals.

My contact on the inside who attended the draw tells me to that she has come up with

Championship Section: Gems from Gilbert and Sullivan
    1st Section: Theme from the A-Team (transcribed by Bram Gay)
    2nd Section: Grandma by the St Winifred's Girls Choir (arr. Fernie)
    3rd Section: Barber's Adagio for Strings (percussion parts added by Bram Gay)
    4th Section: Eden

You heard it HERE first!
    Last edited: Mar 22, 2006
  13. GingerMaestro

GingerMaestro Active Member

I am getting really Brassed Off with these type of discussions
    But for what it is worth I actually heard that the line up for the Finals is

Championship Section - William Tell Overture
    1st Section Florentina March
    2nd Section Colonal Bogey
    3rd Section Aranguez con tu amor
    4th Section Clog Dance

Might be wrong......Hope not
  14. Bayerd

Bayerd Active Member

Really? I heard that the 2nd section test piece was going to be March of the Cobblers!
  15. GingerMaestro

GingerMaestro Active Member

I thought it was colonal Bogey or Floral Dance
  16. Jan H

Jan H Moderator Staff Member

Wasn't that already used in 1992? This piece isn't a test anymore for the championship section bands of today. i'd say it would be something for the 1st section perhaps...
  17. PeterBale

PeterBale Moderator Staff Member

I'm afraid it wouldn't be possible now, because of the latest European health & Safety Bulletin regarding the use of crossbows in a public space - unless they approve the use of a DVD recorder instead ;)
  18. neild

neild New Member

Championship Section : Diadem Of Gold
    First Section :Contest Music
    Second Section :Essay For Band
    Third Section: Kensington Concerto
    Fourth Section :Sunset Rhapsody

This Line up will bring the crowds flooding back.
  19. KMJ Recordings

KMJ Recordings Supporting Member

To my mind the most amusing / fascinating thing about this thread (sorry to the other posters ;)) is that two independent people have suggested Contest Music as a 1st Section testpiece - yet for the Area contests there is a general murmur about, for example, things like Entertainments being set for the 3rd Section....

Do the same rules not apply to the Nationals?

FWIW I'd prefer to take a step back to something with a nice tune in it ;)

Edit: Incidentally, this isn't intended as a slur on the capabilities of 1st Section Bands - I've got nothing but the greatest of respect for them and their capabilities - it's the seemingly odd test piece selections I'm (sort of) questoning.
  20. Space Cowboy

Space Cowboy Member

I'm not sure you're right as I think Guinevere has already been used this year to judge the Champ section inthe NW areas!!
    Last edited by a moderator: Mar 23, 2006