National finals How to finance the trip?

Discussion in 'The Rehearsal Room' started by blowmatrumpet, Mar 17, 2006.

1. blowmatrumpet

blowmatrumpet New Member

Am hoping some people out there can help me, what is the best way to finance the finals especially for those lower section bands without sponsorship and possibly some championship bands as well?

Do you for instance say ok everyone pays accomodation costs and as a band we will try to raise the cost of the coach?

If so how do you go about it? What fundraising ideas do you have?

Thanks in advance
  2. would your band be willing to hold some open reheasals for people to attend, if you have a small entry fee and a small fee for hot drinks and biscuits/buns, it could be a little fund raiser

maybe perform a local concert, with all proceeds to go to getting you to the final

it could require your personel to put come cash towards it, but with a combined set of ideas, it should be feezable for your band to get there

good luck!
  3. Charmed

Charmed Active Member

Our members always pay for their own hotel accommodation. The band pays for the coach. We raise money by raffles etc. It's also a good idea to promote your appearance at the finals everytime you do a job and ask for donations. Once we wrote to loads of local companies and asked them to sponsor a player, then their company names went into the local paper and on a board on the coach in the back window. Admittedly we didn't get a great response, but raised £300 this way.
  4. ian perks

ian perks Active Member

I know our band when we qualified held the following
    A Race Night,
    Car Boot Sale
    Extra Concerts
    And i also did a sponsored swim myself of 100 lenghts raised £900.00 by myself got the band to play and also held a competiton to see who could guess the time i would do it in as well the winner recived 24 cans of beer.
    Just to let you know i did the swim in 1hr 3mins 23 secs.
    This took a lot of individual time up going to the baths every day training for it over a period of 6/7 weeks but well worth it as i knew it was going towards the best thing i like doing after work BRASS BANDING:woo
  5. blowmatrumpet

blowmatrumpet New Member

Thanks guys for your answers. I must say that the sponsored swim sounds like a great idea if you have the time and stamina.
    Also the idea of writing to local companies had appealed to me as they say every little helps!
    Thanks again and any other ideas would be great.

6. FlugelD

FlugelD Member

1. Sponsored play - say 10 hours - town centre, & rattle the cans at the same time

2. Walk into every business on the High Street, and demand cash in return for a mention in the local paper when they run the feature on your 'expedition' to the finals

3. Pester every councillor/MP who is in your band area (with a similar promise of a public mention)

4. Extra concerts, billed as 'National Finals Fundraisers', with slightly enhanced ticket prices and a retiral collection...and teas, coffees, etc...

5. Keep pestering your local paper to run plugs (sorry, newsworthy items) about how you're keeping the local youth interested in musical performance as an art form, and thereby decreasing the local chav population, cutting crime, vandalism, etc - and tie it in with the above (particularly elected representatives, and how they're helping... ;) )

6. 'Bonus ball', quiz sheets, race nights - invite the players' families, friends of families, neighbours, friends of neighbours, friends of families, neighbours' friends' families, friends of the families' neighbours friends' neighbours...

7. And if all else fails, borrow a couple of shotguns, raid band funds for the price of a pair of stockings, and send your worst two players out for a bit of creative borrowing from local banks, building societies, millionaires, etc.....

8. Number 7 is intended as a joke....;) - unless you're desperate!

9. Players should still expect to have to pay part of the accomodation - if the band can't pay the coach and something towards B&B, you need to ask if going to Harrogate is something you really want/need to do (and I've been twice...)
  7. Hornblower RN

Hornblower RN Member

Rather than walk into local companies and ask for help, consider making an appointment with the MD of successful businesses in your, transport companies, bus companies and asking for their help in financing the trip. A face to face request for money is very difficult but if you have a salesperson in your band he/she might find it an attractive proposal and worthwhile. A "glamourpuss" would also be well received.
  8. TheMusicMan

TheMusicMan tMP Founder Staff Member

Great idea but... if any band is considering doing this, you simply MUST present to the MD a detailed business plan/case or cost justification that clearly illustrates what is in it for his/her business. Why should they support you? what will they get out of the deal? how will this benefit them? No MD is going to give a band 'money for nothing' out of the blue as it were. You really do need to take these matters seriously and prepare the correct financial justification for any potential sponsor.

If anyone wants assistance doing this, I now own and manage a successful Project and Business Management business, and am happy to provide a Business Case preparation and justification service for any bands or organisations who are looking for sponsors. I aint cheap, but I can assure you that so doing would significantly enhance the probability of convincing prospective MD's to come on board and offer sponsorship.

Shout if needed.
  9. Souter

Souter Member

Last year we had a sponsored walk up the hills and played at a marker point in the hills, we also recorded a CD of the towns music, had an auction in the break of our May concert and held the usual round of coffee mornings etc. (We actually ended up raising more money than we spent for Harrogate).
  10. satchmo shaz

satchmo shaz Active Member

what about asking Lions, Round table and Rotary with a promise of helping them with their charity stuff at Christmas or a concert, our local council have been very good too. Also push the youth element and go for crimebeat grants and police property fund. Our local airport also have a fund;)

good luck
    We will be following all these leads up too to raise about £3,000 for Harrogate
  11. davethehorny

davethehorny Member

Use the fact that you have qualified for the finals as a way of gaining yourself a sponsor.

Two years ago we qualified for the Nationals for the first time in 22 years (after only having 6 players in 2000). We used our qualification to prise sponsorship out of a local business. They in turn have used it to their advantage by making sure that the band have plenty of local press and PR whenever and where ever we perform.

Try and make it someone who is local to your town or village (our sponsor is the local Coal Distributor and Wholesaler), someone who might feel more inclined to get involved.

Remember you have to think of the long term with sponsorship and decide what you want out of the relationship before it starts.

We did, however, managed to raise the £3500 - £4000 needed to get to Harrogate ourselves both in 2004 & 2005. We have done sponsored walks, discos, extra concerts and pretty much anything legal to get money. Make sure though that making the money does not get in the way of making music. Get the fundrasing done early and try to get a fund raising committe made up of non-players to run it for you.

The sponsorship is the icing on our cake - it has paid for musical director, music and some new instruments. Our sponsor also presented us with a pair of Adams Timps last week, just in time for the Regional Finals.

The best bit about being sponsored is the reaction of other local bands - it is amazing how a small change of name suddenly results in what you are trying to achieve being taken really seriously.
  12. caramelbunny

caramelbunny Member

How about a slave auction?

When I was president of our uni RAG we ran one and raised bucket loads :D

You could auction every member of your band's services for a day (not including the night, as we had some discrepancies ;) ) for cooking, cleaning, dog walking etc.

Was really great fun way of making quick and easy money and provides endless hours of gossiping afterwards when all the slaves come bcak together to discuss what their masters/mistresses got them to do! :D
  13. Mister 4x4

Mister 4x4 Member

Might sound like small-potatoes, money-wise, but what about having the band members hold car-washes? People usually welcome a chance to get their car washed without having to do it themselves and would gladly fork over a fiver or more for a good cause.

Just a thought - on a typical day, my Air Force unit raised around $500 in about 4 hours - with about $30 minimal investment.
  14. MadAllie

MadAllie New Member

I work for a national retailer, which will give "community cash back" to top up any money raised by our band provided I have taken an active part in the fundraising. Worth a look, even if its only a few quid...
  15. Di

Di Active Member

I work for a bank who will match fundraising for a registered charity pound for pound upto a maximum of £750. Its worth checking with your companies what charity policies they have if your band is a registered charity.
  16. horn-girlie

horn-girlie Member

i think we're doing a concert in the summer where all the ticket sales/raffle money/donations will be going to finance the trip! thats the plan anyway!
  17. Rosie

Rosie Member

Plenty of things you can do.

Well I know this won't help you very much, but when we qualified last year, we somehow managed to get permission to take an ensemble of the band to play at the Eden Project for four Wednesdays in the summer. We raised over £300 per concert for roughly two hours music!:cool:

Try things like sponsored walks, bingo ( we had this in our band club), doing extra engagements, the odd extra carnival will always swell the coffers, and of course trying to get sponserships from local firms. Maybe even a sponsored abseil or something like that if you're all feelings brave!:biggrin: :biggrin:
  18. WoodenFlugel

WoodenFlugel Moderator Staff Member

Certainly don't be afraid to send out letters to businesses and authorities, but as has already been said, you need to present a professional front and offer (at the very least) some form of advertising / name dropping in return. We did just that last year and got a number of small donations from all sorts of places - local business, local authorities, even the lady who gave us a tenner - it all helps. Its probably easier to ask a lot of people for a small amount rather than go for a few big donatons - most businesses won't blink at taking fifty quid out of their petty cash, but if you start to ask for hundreds then you'll need to back it up with much more for them to justify their expense. My best tip in this respect is not to actually ask for an amount - let them decide on how much to give you.

The other suggestions here are all good ones, you could also investigate arts grant options, but I think these tend to cover projects for capital equipment (like instruments etc) rather than attending events.
  19. Why not make use of the National Lottery? Awards for All has changed (or is about to) its limit from £5k to £10k which must be enough for a cracking trip! The applications process seems pretty simple, and you no longer have to spend the money on a capital project. If you look on the website to see what other bands have had money for, it ranges from a few hundred for instrument repairs to thousands for CDs, Uniforms, even to stage concerts in expensive halls!