National Finals - Championship Section - Test Piece : Music for Battle Creek

Discussion in 'The Adjudicators' Comments' started by Di, Jun 6, 2007.

1. Di

Di Active Member

Order details and discussion for the National Finals Championship Test Piece :

Music for Battle Creek - Philip Sparke
    De Haske (UK) Ltd.
    Fleming Road, Earlstrees, Corby NN17 4SN
    Tel.: 01536 260981
    Fax: 01536 401075
  2. Anglo Music Press

Anglo Music Press Active Member

3. Jan H

Jan H Moderator Staff Member

My band's conductor Ivan Meylemans will be conducting one a band in the Dutch Nationals later this year, and they just started rehearsing Music for Battle Creek (it's the Dutch test piece as well!). He said it was a very enjoyable piece...

(to the composer, if he reads this: any change there will be a fanfare band version? Ivan said he would like to play it with our band (Achel) some day as well ;) )
  4. Anglo Music Press

Anglo Music Press Active Member

No plans at the moment, but it's certainly not out of the question!
  5. Vicki K

Vicki K New Member

music for battle creek

I think this is a fab test piece. There are no bad bits of music. The ending is very unexpected, the first time we played it, it came as a real shock! Does Philip Sparke write anything that isn't gold. Really looking forward to the finals. It's gonna be a good weekend.
  6. coolpics

coolpics New Member

Avoid the queues at the Albert Hall and get your copy of the study score from the De Haske stand at the British Open in Birmingham this Saturday!

It's also available from all your usual band suppliers or at
  7. John Brooks

John Brooks Well-Known Member

I'm excited..............I just confirmed that I'm flying to London for the weekend and will be attending the Finals. I'm very happy about that and especially because it sounds like such an awesome test piece.
  8. Ste69

Ste69 Member

No arguments there - it's great to play. So much in it for everyone!!! :)
  9. Thirteen Ball

Thirteen Ball Active Member

Not in my experience! ;)

I've favourites and less-favourites of course... (sometimes relating to those I can get near playing and those I'm miles off)... but generally he comes up with the sort of thing that makes me wish I had half the imagination and skill needed to write something similar myself!

Which is why even though I've not heard this one, I'm thoroughly looking forward to a seat in the albert hall, a study score, and some quality bands to listen to.

If it measures up to his usual standard, it'll be a cracker.
  10. iggmeister

iggmeister Member

I think it is going to be a very hard test for all the bands. Apart from the solo cornet/ euph duet (which is hard enouigh to play on your own, let alone in unison with another player) after only 12 bars of the piece, and all the other whopping great solos, the third movement is simply one of those things that you have to sit down and programme into your brain.

It will be interesting to hear how the bands approach it stylistically as well as it is not really your usuall 'British' brass band fare.

I'm really enjoying rehearsing it.

11. andylockett86

andylockett86 Member

absolutely loving the euph solo in the second movement - fantastic writing
  12. Ste69

Ste69 Member

Agreed - You need to know where everyone else's part fits against yours - And then try to ignore it ;)
  13. Super Ph

Super Ph Member

Mad piece. I like it.

This should surely guarantee that the cream floats to the top - only about 5 bands will get near it. But then I thought that about 'Eden'.
  14. Darth_Tuba

Darth_Tuba Active Member

Do you mean that more bands could play it than you expected or that the best bands didn't come at the top?
  15. towse1972

towse1972 Active Member

I should hope all the bands will "get near it"! They are supposedly the best the country has to offer... It will be a shame
    if they cant..:) 'tis quite tricky though!!
    Last edited: Oct 10, 2007
  16. chiephonium

chiephonium Member

I'm enjoyng getting redy for my debu in London this year... Think the piece is fantastic, but wha what could we possibly expect from Mr Sparke... Well done on a great piece...

The most enjoyable part for me is on the back page with the 40 odd bars of sostenuto chord progressions, with the oving stuff just sitting nicely in the middle of it... a fantastic bit of writing...

Can't wait to get on stage and take a good look round before we play.... Must be awesome????
  17. Darth_Tuba

Darth_Tuba Active Member

It is awesome... you'll never have seen so many empty seats...

Seriously though, it's always nice to play there, although not the easiest of halls to play in. Hoping not to be on in the first few, think the ending might take the crowd a bit by suprise...
  18. JR

JR Member

..for god's sake don't do that! - you might faint

john R
  19. Gorgie boy

Gorgie boy Member

Not able to get to the contest (best man at a mate's wedding) but have been doing some rehearsals for one of the competing bands and have to say the piece is a total belter! love it all. As good as Dances and Alleluias and I loved that too!
  20. Thirteen Ball

Thirteen Ball Active Member

Must be almost the size of the Michael Fowler centre eh JR? ;)