National Finals - 4th Section Test Piece : Roman Triptych

Discussion in 'The Adjudicators' Comments' started by Di, Jun 6, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Di

Di Active Member

Order details and discussion for the National Finals Fourth Section Test Piece :

Roman Triptych - Leigh Baker
    Kirklees Music
    609 Bradford Road,
    West Yorks.
    HD6 4DN
    Tel.: (01484) 722855 Fax: (01484) 723591
  2. CubbRep

CubbRep Member

Is there an errata for this test piece?Or better still,has it already been proof read to eliminate any mistakes?
    CubbRep...Midlands Area 4th section Champion Band 2007.
  3. imthemaddude

imthemaddude Active Member

Well your positive!! I'm sure there will be with time.
  4. CubbRep

CubbRep Member

I think its best to ask early,then all bands have a chance of trying to get it right.
  5. beccawheeze2

beccawheeze2 Member

Cubbington had their first run through on Monday night. A big thumbs up from all. Bring it on!
  6. CubbRep

CubbRep Member

I hope your right Becci.I,m looking forwards to having a good blow at it on Friday.
  7. BMMB

BMMB New Member

Buckhaven had their first run through last night. Only had half a band but sounds a great piece to play and should be entertaining for the audience. Shades of every Romanesque type piece you've ever played, Gladiator, Pines of Rome et al! Even has a Eb bass and Euph duet in the second movement (those guys never get on at the best of!).
  8. I had my first go at it last Friday - it gets my vote for sure.
  9. alangiff3

alangiff3 Member

We've had two run throughs so far and the piece is very good, very melodic and lots of trombone features :D
  10. alangiff3

alangiff3 Member

Any Idea when a recording is going to be released of Roman Triptych? I'm Assuming that Brighouse and Rastrick are going to make the first recording of it.
  11. beccawheeze2

beccawheeze2 Member

Listen to the Band on Radio Two are braodcasting a performance at the start of August, but I believe it is only the first movement.
  12. We have run throught the piece once and as the kit drummer, I am not looking forward to having to learn the first 16 bars of the third movement, Im all on my own!!!!!! But it sounds a really nice piece of music very fanfarey just hope I can do it justice. Any 4th section drummers feel the same?
  13. David Pegram

David Pegram Member

Just do what all you drummers do busk.
  14. David How dare you suggest that us drummers busk!!!! the cheek of it!!!!

Anyway with your brother in charge, there's very little chance of that is there?
  15. I don't know if this has been mentioned elsewhere but Brighouse and Rastrick are performing Roman Triptych on Listen to the Band on Friday at 9.30pm on Radio 2 - will be interesting to hear for sure.
  16. the ox

the ox New Member

Only the first movement though!
  17. Hi are there any percussionists from any bands playing at Harrogate that have any good tricks for playing the 3rd movement?

Played it last night and am having great difficulty playing it. My hands just do not move fast enough
  18. McEuphie

McEuphie Member

Good luck to all.

Unfortunately won't have the fun of playing this but heard the first movement on LTTB and sounds like a good piece - quite a test for 4th sections bands as well!

Good luck to all.

Solo Euph
    Barnton Silver Band.
  19. QAD

QAD Member

Well I'm back to my ususal despair that the parts contain errors. How publishers manage this with the quality of music editing software I will never know - or do they rely too much on the software and not bother to proof read.
    Any news on an errata?
  20. New Member

Hope folks are enjoying the piece!

In response to a few questions-

I compose at the piano using manuscript!-archaic I know but that's the way i prefer to work-scoring as I go.

The score (after a number of revisions in this case) is then sent to a sibelius/finale buff (I have my own and different publishers use a variety of people)

This IS then proof read!
    Roman Triptych was returned/ammended at least 5 times after fine tooth combing by myself and my publisher and numerous band "run throughs".

The score is then used as the definitive version and parts are produced from this (after positioning and tidying up is done)-all this is then printed.

BUT gremlins can still sneak in as we are all human and may miss small details!

There are a no wrong notes to my knowledge but a short erratum containing a few rhythmic changes, some dynamics and a mute instruction will be announced this week. Myself and Kirklees have really worked hard to iron out glitches to avoid band/MD frustration.

Any particular questions you have-contact me through my web site and I'll do my best!(a number of conductors have already done so).

Hope that helps-watch out for the small erratum.

Best of luck at Harrogate (I hope to hear all the bands perform)

Leigh Baker
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.