National finals 2013 test piece rumours.

Discussion in 'The Adjudicators' Comments' started by Adamskied, Apr 18, 2013.

1. Phil Green

Phil Green Supporting Member

2. tubafran

tubafran Active Member

Any ideas on where is the official announcement to be made? Kapitol website is not known for up to date information; is this meant to be in BBW or The Bandsman?

3. tat

tat Member

They're on just music and band supplies websites now

4. tat

tat Member

5. WorldofBrass.com

WorldofBrass.com Active Member

It's in this week's British Bandsman and I would guess that it will also be in the May edition of Brass Band World. 4 Bars Rest has posted the news this morning so I would imagine that the official announcement was embargoed until today.

6. cockaigne

cockaigne Member

Some very interesting choices here - in particular, the setting of [some] pieces that were not conceived as contest set works; a chance to put the music first, perhaps?

Very pleased to see the music of younger composers being brought to prominence, which as MoominDave has already pointed out far more eloquently, is something we need to do much more of.

Purcell Variations is a gold-mine of a piece; not too many notes, and detail to be found in every bar. Given that bands have played 'The Plantaganets' to get to Cheltenham, the notes shouldn't pose much of a problem, at least! Mr. Downie's piece is just as stern a test of stamina and sound, and shouldn't be under-estimated.

I also wonder if these choices have been made with the listening audiences in mind, more so than usual. I'll certainly look forward to listening to bands from all sections at Cheltenham.

7. smaca

smaca Active Member

Have to be honest, not criticism of the abilities of Gavin Higgins, but I think the choice of piece is poor for the 1st Section.

How can bands transition into Contest Music(this years Scottish Open Piece), Harmony Music or Devil Deep Blue Sea with pieces like this.

The panel has done a tremendous job over the years in selecting pieces and I applaud them for that, but in my view the choice for 1st Section is a massive mistake.

8. MoominDave

MoominDave Well-Known Member

My thoughts too - good piece, but not the right place for it.

9. tojo

tojo Member

anyone know of a recording of , of distant memories

10. casanova

casanova Member

dykes recording from the europeans is on world of brass tunes to download.

11. casanova

casanova Member

lots of low stuff for us tho! Cant argue with that! :D

12. MoominDave

'Tis true. There is no wrong place for a pedal G...

[I thought about posting a link to a video on the internet with a fruity ensemble pedal G purveyed by yours truly, but decided that would probably be insufferably egotistical...]

13. Brian Kelly

Brian Kelly Active Member

Go on Dave! You know you want to! :)

14. MoominDave

Well, if you insist!
    http://vimeo.com/31950768
    8 minutes 50 seconds to 9 minutes - please ignore the rather troubled trumpet moments beforehand - mix of abilities in the ensemble and this was after a full day's blowing. Interesting piece - not entirely convinced by it, like most Michael Ball, but regular shouty fart noises to please...

15. WorldofBrass.com

WorldofBrass.com Active Member

Black Dyke played "Symphony in two movements" at EBBC 2013. This was to have been the test piece for this years' British Open, "Of Distant Memories" is a different work altogether.

16. brassneck

brassneck Active Member

Black Dyke were recorded by the Beeb at this year's RNCM Festival of Brass & it was broadcast on Radio 3 a little bit later.

17. Accidental

Accidental Supporting Member

^ but are there any recordings people can actually listen to now?

18. brassneck

brassneck Active Member

Only from anyone who made the effort to record the broadcast.

19. Accidental

Accidental Supporting Member

:rolleyes:
    For those of us who missed the first broadcast and/or didn't record it because we didn't know what the finals piece was going to be...

Radio 3 are including Of Distant Memories and last year's finals piece in a broadcast next Monday, 17 June. More details HERE

20. Tubazz

Tubazz Member

any comments from folks who have heard "of Distant Memories", i have a recording and have listen to it several times, and think it is a really great piece of writing, to listen to is great, and looking forward to preparing it.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice