National finals 2013 test piece rumours.

Discussion in 'The Adjudicators' Comments' started by Adamskied, Apr 18, 2013.

1. Adamskied

Adamskied Member

Has anyone heard any rumors then?

I have heard St Magnus, that Avidi Nocte piece and also that pice
    With the bottles lol.

Reall cant think of the name of the last one.
  2. Accidental

Accidental Supporting Member

Extreme Makeover :)
  3. doubleplug

doubleplug New Member

Little April Showers..for the last one
  4. Adamskied

Adamskied Member

Lol. Great piece for the finals. We might be able to play that one lol
  5. New Gregson piece written for Dyke.... Shock horror
  6. Adamskied

Adamskied Member

Our conductor said that last night but could not remember
    the name of it.
  7. Have a look at european own choice list
  8. marksmith

marksmith Active Member

I am a little distant from the 'rumour mill' at present, but I would love to see 'Triumphant Rhapsody' or 'Variations on a ninth', chosen for first section bands in the near future.
    I am sure that some top section bands would still struggle to colour these pieces successfully.
    Last edited: Apr 19, 2013
  9. Accidental

Triumphant Rhapsody was the 1st section finals piece in 2009 so we're unlikely to see that again any time soon.
    Variations on a Ninth hasn't been set for anything in at least 10 years, and its actually the only piece I've heard rumoured for 1st section so far this year, so who knows.......?!
  10. MoominDave

MoominDave Well-Known Member

Oh, no, please not that...

Incidental music for a Carry-On film... Few band pieces have dated as badly as Variations on a Ninth, in my opinion... Quite enjoy Vinter, in a sort of 60s way, normally, but this one just makes my teeth curl.
  11. Accidental

I actually quite like it, in a nostalgic kind of way, but I'm glad I won't have to play it....
    I really hope the rumoured new Gregson for top section is true, I love his writing.
  12. ophicliede

ophicliede Member

One of my favourite pieces Var on a 9th. Dave!
  13. James Yelland

James Yelland Active Member

I remember reading a review of a recording of Triumphant Rhapsody which described its musical language as 'as stale as an old biscuit'. And that was written in the 1980s.
  14. JR

JR Member

John O' Gaunt hasn't dated...

15. cockaigne

cockaigne Member

I had a dream* that we had to do 'The Plantaganets' again for the 2nd section finals; does this count?

* - from which I awakened white, sweating and screaming "nooooo...!" (or words to that effect)
  16. MoominDave

Would be an interesting one, JR. Looking at the list of past pieces, I see that, prior to last year's new work, Vivat!, we had Frank Wright's Force of Destiny arrangement (1962), Diversions on a Bass Theme (1986), and Triumphant Rhapsody (1965) back to back. Not sure whether that means that we're due a return to something older or not...
  17. marksmith

marksmith Active Member

I can only speak a personal level, the Euph part is a joy to play. The opening triple tonguing on the Cornet ranks, into some fine cadenzas, followed by some heart warming melodic sections. What is there not to like (imperfect cadences?) ;)
    Vinter at his best.
  18. MoominDave

For me, it doesn't hang together very well - the chopping between variations quickly becomes formulaic, especially when the musical development is as closely tied to the eponymous 9th chord as it is, which even on its own projects something of a distinctly 1960s musical vibe. The cadenzas must have seemed a fresh idea in 1964, but they've been slandered by what came after, and now seem just one more entry in a long series of band pieces that use and abuse the device musically. Some variations also just feel to me a bit like musical filler - noodling around on the theme without really going anywhere. Sorry, but you did ask! Personally, it doesn't do much for me - although obviously it presses the right buttons for a lot of people.

Now, for me Spectrum is a decent piece... And Salute to Youth is quite fun.

[Incidentally Mark, I admired your posts in the Thatcher thread. Mean to mention it there, but didn't have anything worth saying at the time.]
  19. smaca

smaca Active Member

Tallis Variations for 1st Section.........when are they officially announced?
  20. joelm01

joelm01 New Member

I'm thinking a Philip Sparke theme here (butlins and areas so far) so I'd like to see Music of the Spheres for the championship section