National Finals 2010 - How are rehearsals going?

Discussion in 'The Adjudicators' Comments' started by astreet83, Jul 30, 2010.

1. astreet83

astreet83 Member

Hi all,

Just wondered how bands were getting on with the test pieces.

I'm really enjoying Psalms and Alleluias and think that it well written although there is a lot of copy and pasting!!!

Nice melody and I can't wait to play my solo :clap:

Your thoughts.....

2. theMouthPiece Related Searches

Find more discussions like this one
    Psalms
    Alleluias
    solo
    ca
    test pieces
  3. Laserbeam bass

Laserbeam bass Active Member

Noy my favourite test piece of all time, but it may be that I have attained a state of ennui at present.

Considering this is a piece that was written for Band and Organ, there is surprisingly little in for the basses. I am bored s***less in rehearsals (looking foward to a Sunday gig, which is unheard of for me) and can't wait for Sep 25th pm when I will be in a pub in Harrogate, and will never have to play the piece again.

4. Red Elvis

Red Elvis Active Member

Laserbeam - I pass on to you the sacred torch that is the challenge to drink that pub along the road from the exhibition centre completely out of Old Peculiar in four hours flat !!! ( hat tip to certain un-named but well respected members of Ipswich and Norwich Band !! We came , we saw , we wobbled !! :) )

5. Laserbeam bass

Laserbeam bass Active Member

Elvis - I accept the torch and will relish the challenge. May need to contact the Masham brewery for additional supplies. It will probably be me and a member of Meltham & Meltham Mills, although I will be a few hours in front of him, as he is performing in the 1st section LOL

6. Simon_Horn

Simon_Horn Member

Fulham Brass Band are getting to grips with the 3rd section Nationals piece, Willow Pattern by Philip Harper. It's a really good musical piece with some great band and solo parts. Should be a fair test at the Nationals in Harrogate.

Band members have had parts for the last few weeks and we set ourselves a target that we will play the piece in public for the first time at St James Park on 7th August. The rehearsals during August will be focused on the testpiece and then we'll have sectionals and some adjudicators at band rehearsal before we have a pre-nationals concert with 3 other L&SC bands on 12th September.

I'm hoping this will give us a good preparation to produce the performance we want on stage at Harrogate.

7. Daisy Duck

Daisy Duck Member

Battle Town Band have played through A Royal Mile Suite a few times and had a rather scary surprise rehearsal with Nigel Boddice a couple of weeks ago! We much prefer this test piece to Alta Vista...

We're now starting to dedicate half of each rehearsal to doing some detailed work on the different movements. In September, once everyone's returned from holidays, we'll have lots of sectionals as well as full band rehearsals... hint hint to anyone from BTB that's reading this... ;)

Jon, our MD, has been very busy colouring his score in and it's looking very pretty.

8. Will the Sec

Will the Sec Active Member

I am currently enjoying not getting on with anything at all to do with the Nationals. My only concession to banding at the moment is to drop LBB and Shell off at a convenient spot for a lift to gigs if it helps them.