National Finals 2008 - Championship Test Piece : Concertino for Brass Band

Discussion in '2008 National Championships of Great Britain discu' started by Di, Jun 30, 2008.

1. Bungle

Bungle Member

Can't complain about the top two placings but I have to agree with previous comments on the Leyland placing ,I really enjoyed their performance, very stylish but I guess it wasn't what the adjudicators were after. There was quite a gap between Grimethorpe and the other top three placed bands so it was difficult to compare them, but I thought Grimethorpe would have been placed higher. But hey what do I know, I could probably only manage the triangle part. Looked like an interesting Bb Bass part, any comments from the players? Also:clap: for sop player of I think Kirkintilloch after falling off the last note of the second section really went for it in the third movement.

2. davidquinlan

davidquinlan Member

I've never seen such an animated player, look liked he was sat on an electric chair :) ... took his applause at the end too...
    Good example to anyone out there to keep on going... if you miss something... make the next note the best you've ever played!! (something I'll keep in mind next sunday in Folkstone... :) )

To be honest, I was surprised at the problems the final chord in 2nd movement caused some bands. It's not something I would have expected at this level. It seemed to me that some were almost trying too hard? {I've just set myself up here now I suspect?}

I did enjoy all performances I heard, the usual suspects as I would have expected. I did think Leyland's performance was up there too, but didn't hear carlton, rothwell or grimethope to compare.

I quite liked the piece too.

3. ian perks

ian perks Active Member

Im really OVER THE MOON for Black Dyke & Nick Childs its great to see DYKE ON TOP SPOT AGAIN.
    Im looking forward to hearing them at Derngate Thearte at Northampton on 25th October(My Birthday ) in concert+when i have a weeks holiday in Yorkshire of that week
    Finally:
    GREAT TO SEE DYKE BACK AT THE TOP AT NATIONAL:clap::woo:woo:woo

4. Highams

Highams Member

Great result for Dyke, had Fairey's & Leyland much higher, GUS in the frame too.........just my thoughts.

Agree with the results/stage management fiasco etc. at the end, this bit of the contest is still in the dark ages!

CB

5. joshy

joshy Member

I remember seeing him at the Europeans this year, did a great job and was the most interesting person to watch for the entire contest! Its great seeing someone getting into their part so much, made me really get into the music.

Wish I could have been there to watch but never mind, does anyone know what time the nationals CD will be available?

Josh

6. iRyan

iRyan Member

:woo :woo :woo
    Great weekend for us :biggrin:
    Well done to the bands, I only manged to listen to BTM, Faireys and Fodens!

And that last note on the 2nd movement for sop is actually quite hard, from what I heard alot of bands blipped it, but to say it is that high and really quiet, no wonder!

7. Alyn James

Alyn James Member

8. critic

critic Member

Compered to the open its shabby to many people wanting to hog the limelight.Wake up the contest is not what it used to be certainly not as good as the open

9. ydna36

ydna36 Member

Well done to Dyke.

Thanks to everyone who came to listen to us (Faireys), and thanks for the response we got for our performance. It was amazing! (the response) Hope you keep coming to support us.

10. eanto

eanto Member

I think Faireys performed a quality performance, very musical. Enjoyed it :clap:

I also agree that Black Dyke where a bit special too :) Bring on the next contest.

11. Ali

Ali Member

Thanks of all the kind words said about my band on this site. We thought we had played really well and are quite disappointed about the result, but thats banding! As usual I didn't hear anyone so I cant and wont comment on anyone else but I would like to congratulate all of the prize winners! A very big well done to Farieys and my mates At Carlton Main as well!

12. towse1972

towse1972 Active Member

Yes, but its the nationals! The one that really matters. Have you won it critic?

13. brassbandmaestro

brassbandmaestro Active Member

Yep, Ian, couldn't agree more with that. I am soooo glad!! They didn't get good results, by their standards(!), so very pleased as well for them!

14. HornMaster

HornMaster Member

Congratulations to Dyke and great to see Faireys up at the top end of the results

15. bassinthebathroom

bassinthebathroom Active Member

Cheers for the sentiment, but we did manage 2 higher than that (8th) :biggrin:
    Like Al said, I didn't her any, save Woodfalls and Mt Charles on the TV in the dressing room (I'd been hoping to catch Cash in the Attic, but that's life)... (joking, before anyone starts...) so can't really comment on the result, but was happy with our performance, the audience's reception and the people who congratulated us in person outside the hall/in The Goat/on the street/in the Curry house etc. etc.
    One result I can say I foresaw was my stomach after the hottest Dopiaza on planet Earth - I'm still suffering slightly 36 hours on... Light of India, Gloucester Road 1 - Leyland Band Formation Curry Eating Team 0 :p

16. chris turner

chris turner New Member

Congrats to all at Black Dyke. Well deserved win. From all at the Cory Band. Great night had by all.

17. critic

critic Member

i was talking about the presentation ceromony not the contest itself of course its a great one to win but ifeel the open is the biggestcrown. no i have not won it but that was not the point.keep enjoying playing towse

18. Anonymous_user

Anonymous_user New Member

Why is relevent that Critic has won the contest in order to comment????

I might be wrong Towse....have you?????

Well done to Black Dyke.

19. iaindrum

iaindrum Member

cheers steve, it was a great weekend and loved every min of it and was also a great result for mark to lose his albert hall V plates too.

Up the Frickley!!!!:clap::clap::clap::clap::clap:

20. swisscornet

swisscornet Member

Congrats to Black Dyke. Well done and well deserved.

I personally had Leyland much higher placed (especially the new principal impressed me).

I was also very suprised that so many sopranos struggeled with the last note in the 2nd movement (or used mutes).