National Finals 2008 - 2nd Section Test Piece : Rhapsodic Variations ...

Discussion in '2008 National Championships of Great Britain discu' started by Di, Jun 4, 2008.

1. BbBill

BbBill Supporting Member

And/or blame your secretary for not giving you the percussion info sheet earlier!!! ;)

We've got 5 percussionists, so hopefully everything should be covered in the piece!!!!

2. hamish5322

hamish5322 New Member

Who do you think will likely be the top three in this section? Must admit I haven't heard of some bands in this section.

3. animal.22

animal.22 Member

I dont doubt the mans credentials as a musician one bit but,as I said, he just doesn't seem to have given any thought to the logistics of playing the piece. As someone else has already said,they have FIVE players at the back to cover the perc piece.Surely that speaks volumes in itself!! As for him being a Euph player,perhaps I should have added "allegedly"

4. michellegarbutt

michellegarbutt Supporting Member

I was sent the percussion plan weeks ago. We have 4 players and we think we've managed to cover everything

5. BbBill

BbBill Supporting Member

We probably dont need the 5 players to cover the percussion parts but we'll letting them all play something as its the National Finals. With 4 out of the 5 players under 16, its a good chance for them to be there and to take part. Last year at Harrogate we had to drop a 2nd baritone player for the line-up, so we gave her a part on percussion so she was still there and involved with the band.

6. bbg

bbg Member

All the best to Campbeltown in Harrogate, Willie - the latest step on what is becoming quite a journey through the Sections. Best wishes also to Johnstone, here's hoping for a couple of cracking placings for Scottish bands this weekend.

7. Parpers

Parpers New Member

The percussion parts are very badly scored!! but if you re-write the parts a little it can easly be played with three players.

8. five percussionists?? they must be bored rigid!! ;) how did you manage to get them all?

9. ah! didnt read this far down! you have answered my question!! makes sense, keeps everyone involved and gives the younger ones experience :tup

10. johnthedrum

johnthedrum New Member

can you play five percussion ?
    is this legal?

11. michellegarbutt

michellegarbutt Supporting Member

yes it is. The rule says percussion as required. As the part was written for 3 and we wanted to play 4 I emailed Kapitol to clarify the meaning of this and the reply I got was that it was the amount of percussionists the conductor requires not the amount of parts written.There would be no problem with us playing 4 I do intend taking a printed copy of this with me on Sunday just in case there are any problems