National Finals 2008 - 1st Section Test Piece : The Saga of Haakon the Good

Discussion in 'The Adjudicators' Comments' started by Di, Jun 4, 2008.

1. Di

Di Active Member

National Finals 2008
    First Section Test Piece

The Saga of Haakon the Good
    Philip Sparke
    Anglo Music, distributed by De Haske

2. theMouthPiece Related Searches

Find more discussions like this one
    Section Test Piece : The Saga of Haakon the Good
    Masterblaster
    player
    experience
  3. Masterblaster jnr

Masterblaster jnr Active Member

I'll bring the CD on tonight. I just wonder how enthusiastic the roar in the last movement will be at the first rehearsals?

It's possibly my favourite beginning to a test piece. you don't hear that many which start quietly. Still think it's too easy though for the 1st. It's a very nice piece all round. But then what Sparke piece haven't i said that about.

on the shed subject, there is some in, and that's all i know.

Last edited: Jun 4, 2008
  4. Chunky

Chunky Active Member

Oh dear, with comments like that be prepared for on onslaught of people telling you, its not easy, you need to find the music in it, etc etc

5. Masterblaster jnr

as i've said, it's a very nice piece of music with chances for lyrical playing in it, but all i'm saying is the only national finals 1st section difficulty parts are the euph feature, tuning in the long note near the start and the percussion at the start of the last bit which is disturbingly similar to the Roman tryptych part.

I will definitely be listening to every band though. It's a very audience friendly piece of music.

Anyone know where you can get hold of a recording of The Shipbuilders on a video of some sort over t'internet?

6. Padstow

Padstow New Member

4barsrest say it was used in a 4th section contest in Norway.
    is it really a 1st section test piece??

seems a bit strange picking a lower section piece.

7. Padstow

Padstow New Member

It should be shipbuilders for 1st section and saga for 4th section.:clap:
    They've obviously got it the wrong way round
    :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

8. Ipswich trom

Ipswich trom Member

It actually says a Norwegian 4th section band used it at an own choice contest but they didn't win with it.

It has been chosen as Dutch 2nd section piece very recently so using that as a guideline you could say it isn't a stern enough test for our 1st section National Finals. However, if you read the comments about the choice on the official release it says that whilst it wont test the flying fingers it will present a musical challenge to bands and musical directors. It is also a very pleasant, tuneful piece and that is fine by me.

Looking forward to a quick run through tomorrow evening!

9. Nigel Hall

Nigel Hall Supporting Member

It does say in the press release that the piece is technically well within 1st section bands capabilities, but will they be able to pull off a musical and lyrical performance? Let's face it many top section bands came unstuck at the areas this year because they didn't find the musicality in Eric Ball's music - it's not always about (to quote Alan Hope) "flying fingers".

10. robcav

robcav Member

Let's hope that Mr Sparke is one of the adjudicators then, since if it's going to come down to a matter of 'musicality' and musical interpretation, he's the best placed man to make a judgement. Somehow, I think there will quite a few other technical issues which come into the reckoning, over and above 'flying fingers', such as intonation, balance and rhythm.

11. jerseylugs

jerseylugs New Member

If you have already heard the piece does anyone notice the "passing" resemblance of the 4th movement to Dundonnel

12. theMouthPiece Related Searches

Find more discussions like this one
    Section Test Piece : The Saga of Haakon the Good
    Masterblaster
    player
    experience
  13. smaca

smaca Active Member

Just listened to piece-----whats all the shouting about in the last movement? Nice Cornet/Euph work in opening bars and 3rd movement. Yip, think I will like this piece.

PS

Seems to be slightly easier than St. Magnus, which we also have on our stand at the moment.

14. mikelyons

mikelyons Supporting Member

Never heard this piece before, but the title seems to suggest lots of rice pudding, fishy fingering and praying. :)

Well, Philip, how close am I? :p

15. UncleStreaky

UncleStreaky Member

The Saga of Haakon the Good

This is the true story of Haakon the Good, brought to you by members of the Ipswich and Norwich Coop Band. Enjoy!

The celebrated Norse conductor, Haakon the Good had always dreamed of performing with his band in Great Britain. So his agent agreed to book him on a three month concert tour all round the country. He started with several concerts in Scotland and the North of England. He felt right at home here with the cold weather, the big hills and the rugged coastline. It was almost like being at home in Norway. He was really happy and his concerts were very well received with packed audiences and great reviews.

He continued his tour around the regions with great expectations. But he soon realised that the further south he went, the less he enjoyed the tour. There were fewer hills and sometimes the weather was too warm for him to wear his favourite knitted jumpers and bobble hats. When he eventually got to the Southern Counties he became so fed up that he quit the concert tour. He returned straight home to Norway leaving disappointed audiences behind him. So this just goes to show you... Never book a miffed Norse in the south...

16. iancwilx

iancwilx Active Member

Nice one !
    - Wilkie

17. Owen

Owen Member

Genius!

18. andreab

andreab Member

Trill help please

Hi
    Any horn players looked at this yet? Can you tell me what trb means on bar 133 over the F?

What a lovely piece of music, I'm really enjoying it.

Andrea

19. Masterblaster jnr

it's the main tune so it is in the style of the other melody in the movement and because it is on an F, it means it trills to a G flat. It's awkward for the fingering, you really have to do 1/2 trill.

20. andreab

andreab Member

Thanks MBJ, I might try 1/123 and see if that's acceptable, what do you think?

21. joker66

joker66 Member

I think thats far easier that 1/2

22. Masterblaster jnr

I always find that 123 always sounds like a flat g more than an F sharp, but i suppose it depends on your bands tuning and your instrument for a matter of fact.

Oh Brass bands, endless opportunities!!