National Final seats for sale...

Discussion in 'The Rehearsal Room' started by James Yelland, Aug 2, 2011.

1. James Yelland

James Yelland Active Member

Want a guaranteed seat for all future Championship finals? A Royal Albert Hall second tier box is up for sale, marketed by Harrods Estates.

The guide price is £550,000. Form an orderly queue, please.
  2. P_S_Price

P_S_Price Member

Ask HMtQ if the Royal box is up for hire?
  3. JR

JR Member

RAH box

Apparently the box we've been in for the last 2 years is owned by Earl Spencer (yes that one)

You have to wait until around this time of the year to see if they are to be "released" by the landed gentry for occupation by the urban proletariat at such occasions as the National Brass band Championships...

John R
  4. James Yelland

One doesn't attend such events, dontcha know. One doesn't want to pry on ones servants on their day orff.
  5. Thirteen Ball

Thirteen Ball Active Member

6. simonium

simonium Member

Keep up the razor-sharp social satire gents. It's terrifically amusing.
  7. James Yelland

I do do satire, but didn't on this occasion. Just a mild witticism really. But I see I have offended your sensibilities. I must remember that brass banding is a Very Serious Business. Sorry.
  8. toby hobson

toby hobson Member

So since we probably pay for his lavish lifestyle, technically we own the box and the royal box for that matter, I may go in October!!!!! I wonder if your allowed to kip in there over night!!!!
  9. Thirteen Ball

Thirteen Ball Active Member

Y'see we don't, because he's a peer - not a royal.

OK, he inherited rather a lot of land, and money, but it's not like he's done nothing. According to Wikipedia:

"Spencer worked as an on-air correspondent with NBC News from 1986 to 1995, primarily for the network's signature morning program, Today, and NBC Nightly News. He wrote and presented the 12-part documentary series, "Great Houses of the World" (1994–1995) for NBC Super Channel. He also worked a reporter for Granada Television from 1991 to 1993. For the print media, Spencer has written several book reviews for The Guardian and The Independent on Sunday. He has also written feature stories for The Guardian, The Daily Telegraph, The Sunday Telegraph and for American publications such as Vanity Fair, Verandah and Nest."

A quick dig around google turns up that at the moment he's mainly working for Charitable trusts and writing books.

Alright, he's not exactly the sort of bloke you or I would bump into down the working men's club - but it's something of a fallacy to say that we pay for his 'lavish lifestyle.' (Though yes, you did qualify that with 'probably' :).)