National Eisteddfod of Wales

Discussion in 'The Adjudicators' Comments' started by twigglet, Aug 4, 2003.

1. twigglet

twigglet Member

Would just like to say well done to Deiniolen Silver Band who won their section at the National Eisteddfod yesterday, it was well deserved everyone worked really hard.

Last I heard last night, they were drinking champagne from the trophy so I think a good night was had by all!!

2. dyl

dyl Active Member

Thanks Elin! I think there are a few sore heads this morning - mine included - but I've got a bacon and egg bap on the way - should help a bit! ;)

Watched the performance when I got back and I think Mr. Sykes got the result just right! :D

We would like to thank you (and Alex & Steph) for helping us out (once again) - it was greatly appreciated - and I think you saw in the pub yesterday what the result meant to us!!!!
  3. Coli

Coli New Member

Have to pass my Congratulations to the band. I know how much that would of meant to EVERYONE ! Well done!

Im sure the Bull and Wellington had a good night aswell...
  4. dyl

dyl Active Member

Full results from Meifod:

Section 1:
    1st - Pontarddulais
    2nd - RAF St. Athan
    3rd - Rhyl

Section 2:
    1st - Deiniolen
    2nd - Llanrug
    3rd - Llansawel

Section 3:
    1st - Beaumaris 'B'
    2nd - Trefor
    3rd - Ystradgynlais

Section 4:
    1st - Menai Bridge
    2nd - Harlech
    3rd - Llwchwr
  5. Roger Thorne

Roger Thorne Active Member

Congratulations to Dyl and the members of Dieniolen Band of gaining first place at Meiford.

Deiniolen under the baton of Alan Lawton were the winners with a programme that started with “The Bombasto” and followed on with “Londonderry Air”, “That’s A Plenty” and finished with “Gaelforce”.

Good programme Dyl, what was the march you played? :lol: :lol:

Its always nice to have a piece performed, but its even nicer when its part of a winnining performance.

Well Done

6. Big Twigge

Big Twigge Active Member

Well done too! I'd have loved to have gone to watch, but sadly I had to work :(
    Elin did grab me the minute i walked through the door though and sat me down in front on S4C, from what I saw it seemed an excellent performance....well done and glad to hear that you celebrated in style!
  7. blondie

blondie Member

I would also like to add my congrats to the list. I watched a superb performance. WELL DONE.

Thanks to you lot I also had a sore head the next day!!!!! :shock:
  8. dyl

dyl Active Member

Thanks for all your messages guys. Just to let you know I've added the story about the Eisteddfod to our web-site now along with some photos - but the links to the photos aren't working - it was about 1am when I finished uploading them to the server and I couldn't be ars*d to test it! I know what the problem is and it will be working tonight.
  9. kevin birch

kevin birch Member

Armchair Contest Great idea

What a great way to listen to a contest sat in the chair at home with a few beers.
    When you read all the coverage of classic fm saying nobody wants to listen to the bands.S4C should be congratulated .
    Congratulations to the winners.
  10. neiltwist

neiltwist Active Member

what's this about s4c?
  11. dyl

dyl Active Member

The National Eisteddfod of Wales is taking place at the minute near Welshpool, Powys. The opening weekend consists mainly of the brass band contests, split into 4 sections according to National grading (Championship/First, Second, Third and Fourth).

Third and Fourth sections took place on Saturday while the other two sections took place on Sunday.

As this is the main Festival in Welsh Arts & Culture, all contests are broadcast live on the satellite channel S4C Digidol (Digital).

This of course, goes for the band contests as well, so when we get home we have a chance to decide whether we think the adjudicator was right or not.

Incidentally, the adjudicator in the Second Section was spot-on! ;)
  12. blondie

blondie Member

Just been on to your website dyl, the photos came out well. Nice one of the full band though.
  13. groovy

groovy Active Member

Thats a Plenty - good choice! Love that!

Oh, and by the way, congratulations to the band. :wink:
  14. stopher

stopher Member

Well Done Dyl but I wont say it too loud as I've just joined Llanrug who came 2nd.

Also congrats to Menai Bridge who won the 4th section.

15. iancwilx

iancwilx Active Member

Haydn Evans

Do any of you Welsh lot know of a guy called Haydn Evans who was a Euph player in the NYBBGB about 1962.
    We need him to explain a joke he told us which has baffled us for 40 years !! (It involved monkeys and kettles)
  16. OMG I know Haydn Evans! He re-founded Loughor band yeah? Aww he taught me how to play :D
  17. picju96

picju96 Member

She's back!