National Eisteddfod of Wales - Cardiff - 2nd & 3rd August

Discussion in 'The Adjudicators' Comments' started by dyl, Jul 31, 2008.

1. dyl

dyl Active Member

As ever, there will be live coverage of the Eisteddfod - both on digital tv and on-line.

This year's brass band contest takes place this weekend (2nd & 3rd August) and can be viewed on S4C (Sky channel 104 in Wales, 134 outside Wales). Naturally the coverage is in Welsh, but all sections are usually broadcast in full.

I am trying to find a link for the web coverage and will post in here as soon as I find it. In the meantime, here is the BBC's website for the festival: http://www.bbc.co.uk/wales/eisteddfod2008/ - I'm pretty sure the link for live coverage will appear here in due course.

Contest times are as follows:

Saturday:
    10:00 - Fourth Section
    (approx) 11:40 - Third Section
    (approx) 14:15 - Second Section

Sunday:
    12:00 - Championship/First Section

All sections must play an own-choice programme (marked for music only - not entertainment) - the time limit for Saturday's contests are 15 minutes per band I think, whilst Sunday's contest has a limit of 20 minutes per band.

As far as I'm aware there are 4 bands taking part on Sunday, will get the final list for all sections tonight.

Last edited: Jul 31, 2008
  2. theMouthPiece Related Searches

Find more discussions like this one
    Cardiff
    Matt
    Ynyshir 2nd Come
    2nd Goodwick
  3. stopher

stopher Member

Good luck to all the bands (especially the Gog bands!). Will probably have a listen on tv as I'm not there for the band contest!

4. ilovespheres

ilovespheres Member

So who's competing? Heard of Champ / 1st section has a great line up of Tredegar, Deiniolen, Parc & Dare and St Athan - but Burry Port W/D? What about the other sections - and a tmp Prediction?

5. sop 1

sop 1 Member

parc w/d

6. ilovespheres

ilovespheres Member

So just Deiniolen, Tredegar and St Athan for Sunday!!

7. sop 1

sop 1 Member

yea,looks like!

8. dyl

dyl Active Member

Entries for the other sections then (might include some more withdrawals though):

Section 4:
    Llwchwr
    Cross Keys
    Cwm Tawe
    Crwbin
    Ystradgynlais

Section 3:
    Gwaun Cae Gurwen
    Ogmore Valley
    Blaenafon
    Dinas Caerdydd (City of Cardiff - for those who don't speak the langauge of heaven)
    Goodwick
    Ynyshir

Section 2:
    Newtown
    Lewis Merthyr
    Tylorstown
    Llanrug (Withdrawn)

9. dyl

dyl Active Member

Sadly Chris - it doesn't look like there was any need for the plural there. What a shame that more Gog bands couldn't have supported the contest.

Last edited: Aug 1, 2008
  10. sop 1

sop 1 Member

going down to listen 2mo,thanks for that! :)

11. sop 1

sop 1 Member

dont say that or we'll have the swansea debate all over again! ;) (only joking b4 anyone has an eppy!)

12. theMouthPiece Related Searches

Find more discussions like this one
    Cardiff
    Matt
    Ynyshir 2nd Come
    2nd Goodwick
  13. dyl

dyl Active Member

Hehe!

Aside from Swansea - the travelling expense excuse can't be used for the Eisteddfod as a generous (though only half as genereous as that given to Male Voice Choirs - but that's another debate) donation is made towards travelling. Guess it could be more of a timing issue?

Either way - we're looking forward to our weekend in the capital - 7am start tomorrow on the coach though - even though we're not competing till Sunday! Should be a good trip.

Last edited: Aug 1, 2008
  14. sop 1

sop 1 Member

ill look forward to hearing u guys! and good luck :)

15. super_sop

super_sop Supporting Member

Watch here!
    scroll down to Watch live!Im looing foward to seeing me baby sister on there laer on!

16. stotty74

stotty74 Member

I would have loved to have gone this year, but yes this time its more of a timing issue. We struggled last year to get our full band out, and in the end about a quarter of our players were from the Youth Band, and that was when it was only 10 minutes away from us, and we only had one dep;-) This year the players with families wanted to go on holiday at their usual times - can't blame them really.

Really surprised not many South Wales bands have entered after all the stick they give to NW bands about not going to Swansea (ducks for cover;-) )

Hopefully we are going to go next year when its in Bala(is that right?)

Good luck everyone anyway.

17. RobBari

RobBari Member

same applies for us, it was the unavailability of players that stopped us going.

18. stopher

stopher Member

4th Section Results

1. Band Arian Crosskeys- Crosskeys Silver
    2. Seindorf Arian Crwbin - Crwbin Silver
    3. Band Tref Llwchwr - Loughor

Courtesy of BBC Cymru website

19. stopher

stopher Member

Sorry Dyl - would have loved to have done it but Menai Bridge have got 3 gigs this weekend (and a lot of the band are on holiday so A HUGE THANKS TO THE DEPS ONCE AGAIN!)

Live coverage isn't bad though although there is occasional problem with balance (I think it doesn't help sticking a mic somewhere within arms reach of a Bass trom!)

Good to see the Stattos too - Cai and Nia for section 4 this morning. Missed section as I was out with the band!

20. stopher

stopher Member

Section 3

1. Goodwick
    2. Ynyshir
    3. City of Cardiff

(I think! These were the 3 called to the stage but I didn't get the order!)

21. matthetimp

matthetimp Member

Section 3

Cardiff 3rd
    ???????? 2nd
    Goodwick? 1st

22. stopher

stopher Member

SEction 2 Results (Courtesy of BBC Cymru)

1. Tylorstown
    2. Lewis Merthyr
    3. Newtown