National Eisteddfod of Wales 2012 (Bro Morgannwg)

Discussion in 'The Adjudicators' Comments' started by dyl, Aug 2, 2012.

1. dyl

dyl Active Member

This weekend sees the Brass Band competitions of the National Eisteddfod of Wales. Live tv and internet coverage is provided as usual by S4C and BBC Wales.

Saturday 4th August:
    Section 4: 09.30
    Section 3: 11.00
    Section 2: 15.30

Sunday 5th August:
    Championship/1st Section: 12.00

Adjuducators: Kevin Gibbs, Andrew Jones & Lloyd Landry (Open Adjudication)

2. Will the Sec

Will the Sec Active Member

Pleased to hear about the live coverage. Will make a change from the Olympics.:tup

3. MoominDave

MoominDave Active Member

Have added these to www.brassbandresults.co.uk, but I'm a bit confused about the venue... As I understand it, "Bro Morgannwg" simply means "Vale of Glamorgan" - is it possible to be any more specific? Ta!

4. dyl

dyl Active Member

Ok, I'll bite! ;)

Post Code: CF71 7PB
    OS Number: SS 957717

Hope that's specific enough! ;)

Seriously, each Eisteddfod is referred to by the area it visits, hence the Bro Morgannwg bit. The actual Eisteddfod field this year is in Y Bontfaen (Cowbridge)

5. MoominDave

MoominDave Active Member

Grand, thanks Dyl, exactly what was wanted.

6. ilovespheres

ilovespheres Member

7. bbg

bbg Member

Watched a couple of bits of the coverage, and it shows how much we take the WoB, post-production DVD coverage for granted! Live broadcast seemed pretty amateurish, sound quality harsh and cameras seemed to pan in in players turning pages / emptying water whilst melody/solo lines were eleswhere. As I understand it, this is a major event (not just the banding bit) which is broadcast each year, so expected more sympathetic "musical" presentation.

8. BikeBadger

BikeBadger Member

A lower section band does not necessarily have to look "lower section".
    Guys!! Wear long-sleeved shirts; do up your top buttons or buy a shirt that fits; your ties need to reach your waists; ditch the white socks; shine your shoes; face the audience to play your solos and practise your bows; bands need to acknowledge applause with smiles and not fiddle with "the next piece" until they've sat back down; keep a poker face if you make a mistake - chances are you're the only one who noticed it; play only pieces you won't struggle with - audiences don't want to see you looking like scared rabbits.
    RELAAAAX...SMIIIILE - and don't wear sunglasses on the top of your head!!!

9. tkhbss

tkhbss Member

Hmmm. See the British Open is to be recorded/broadcast this year - let's hope the quality is not compromised there ....

10. I watched all of it, its so good to see any brass screened, let alone a contest, oh dear they let the audience see pages been turned over, I could critisize the proms coverage at times, but this was live, in the raw! We get so little coverage and then all some do is to be critical, thats going to encourage further coverage. i really enjoyed it, and thought there was some good playing and presentation without heading into being corny, and some cracking good choices of different music, well done bands!

11. Gazabone

Gazabone Member

Absolutely agree, it's great to see brass bands making an all too rare appearance on the TV. I too thoroughly enjoyed despite only understand about 3 words of Welsh. Yes, criticism can be made and lets use what we can all see (and hear) for self improvement.
    Wouldn't it be great to see World of Brass televised as it was back in the old days of Granada Band of the Year.

12. katieeuph

katieeuph Member

To be fair, I don't think you'd be criticising the bands for not having shiny shoes if you had seen the mud bath of a car park they had to walk through to get there!! Great to see bands on tv and a great experience there. Well done to all of the bands in the prizes (especially LMB in Championship/1st Section!!)

13. BikeBadger

BikeBadger Member

Yes. "Y Maes" can be a quagmire at times.
    I was not necessarily criticising. Rather, I wanted to suggest easy improvements to a band's overall presentation. And the funny thing is, if you feel smart and slick, you play smart and slick. As our cyclists say, lots of little improvements add up.

14. 007ish

007ish Member

We must be Old School; a person after my own heart. Most of these cost nothing, take little effort to implement but add so much to the public view of a performance:clap:

The sunglasses on top of head was beyond belief! How can anyone think that acceptable even if they were to be used as props later in the performance:mad::mad:

Sorry :-? rant over but I love my hobby and to see someone promote such a shabby image makes my blood boil.