National Championships Qualifiers - Second Section

Discussion in '2009 National Championships of Great Britain' started by Di, Mar 22, 2009.

1. Mesmerist

Mesmerist Active Member

Hopefully we get to take at look through it tonight if it has arrived in time. Its our MD`s last rehearsal for 5 weeks so he wants to see it before he goes away.

2. Mesmerist

Mesmerist Active Member

Well it didn`t arrive in time but I have the score now and a quick flick through looks like no one has any major solo stuff - just odd few bars here and there for everybody including the glock. And flugel part is either a 4th horn or a 4th cornet. Never seen so many long long semibreves on low C apart from a warm up. Not that I am complaining. Much. Sigh. Never mind. I`m sure we will spend many happy hours on it...

ps tubby I reckon you KNEW what piece it was as the basses and bass trombone do indeed look busy.

pps hope you all have mutes ready everybody

Last edited: Jun 11, 2009
  3. euphymike

euphymike Member

We played through it last week at rehearsals. Interesting???? Not as technically challenging as New world sketches from the areas or a big blow with Crusades from Skegness. So its all down to interpretation and figuring out what the man in the tent is looking for?
    Yep. I feel many a hour spent with a bar by bar look at this one!!!!!
    good luck to all with it!

4. tubbytuba

tubbytuba Member

I think we are going to take a look at it tonight!!! I did see the Euph part and blimey that last movement is going to motor i think. Hey Messi honest i didnt know but reading the write up gave me some clues,also as the test pieces get harder the basses do normally work much harder lol,lots of sweat and swearing!!!

5. Mesmerist

Mesmerist Active Member

Mr Sykes came in on thursday and we had our very first rehearsal on the piece. He said that we would find this easy compared to last years 3rd section final (Suite for Brass) and so it would seem. No doubt it will be like Dark Side of the Moon which got progressively harder the more we worked on it. 2nd Movement is nice would you all agree? I will admit to being slightly disappointed that it is not more technical but there is a lot of interpretation and style to get right and you can all jeer if we come last after I said its too easy.

6. :tup 2nd movement is lovely! Not sure about the 3rd movement, I find it hard to listen to from where I sit so perhaps its different for the man in the middle. It has one of those endings that you don't expect, you think it's going to go on for a bit more.

7. dyl

dyl Active Member

Aye, some nice stuff in there. We've only had a couple of run-throughs so far, and that'll probably be it for the next month or so as we have another contest to prepare for, but first impressions on the 2 outer movements are that I hope they're gonna grow on me! ;)

8. tubbytuba

tubbytuba Member

Thought we were going to give it ago in the week but forgot it was Bugle build up and a super result again for Camborne Youth(winners by 2 clear points in the youth section) Anyway its on for tmmrw and armed with my new tuba i cant wait lol!!!

9. euphymike

euphymike Member

Another run through over last thursday and all of a sudden it just got harder. Lots of little things going on around me!
    Plenty of time to September to get it into your head and your interpretation together in the dark, misterious world of the rehearsal room!

10. Mesmerist

Mesmerist Active Member

Our MD is away until mid July so we have divided our time. Mondays is concert stuff with Col Chris Davis and every other thursday will be Test Piece with Mr Steve Sykes. Not sure who is guesting this thursday but it won`t be a contest rehearsal til Steve or David take us. Quite glad really as technically we have cracked it Ha ha ha ha...famous last words and all that! Like euphymike I think this is going to get harder the more we delve into it.

11. tubbytuba

tubbytuba Member

Played through it tonight,or should i say tried to sight read through it lol.Well this going to be real hard work,its full of nice bits and pieces. The second movement is a real cracker but again as a bass player its going to be hard going.Dave Childs is down with us shortly and we will work hard at it then

12. euphymike

euphymike Member

After our second read through I was of the conclusion that the correct notes were not going to be a problem here and also placing them in the correct location. Unlike New World sketches! However, the interpretation here is what will sort us out!
    We all go to the pub after the rehearsal. maybe this one requires some alternative thinking. so down to the pub first and then get into the music! Good luck with it anyway there is bags of thursday between now and September!

13. flug_gal

flug_gal Member

I was expecting something a little more challenging personally, I think the third section have have a rougher ride than us!
    But I quite like it, especially the second movement, I think the chord structures are 'borrowed' from somewhere but I can't put my finger on it. Saying that, the flugel solo bit at the start is going to be a pain to play in tune, the notes don't seem to 'follow' if you catch my drift.
    Overall though, I like it, though I may have changed my mind by September, and dependant on how fast we take that last movement!
    On a slightly different note, has anyone read the notes that come with the score? They're fantastic!

Last edited: Jun 26, 2009
  14. Janet Watkins

Janet Watkins Member

Do any of the second section qualifiers have any idea how long it takes to play the piece?

I shall be playing with a 4th section band later in the day and we are trying to judge whether it will be an early or late start to the section.

Many thanks

15. Mesmerist

Mesmerist Active Member

Hi Janet - I don`t know exactly how long the piece takes but according to the score the 1st movement is 86 bars long at a speed of 96-100 crotchets (with a little andante passage of 8 bars in middle ) This links straight into 2nd - 72 bars at 64 crotchets (give or take a couple of rits) linked straight into 3rd movement which is a quickish 132 minims.
    Probably much more information than you needed! So its on the short side if that helps.

16. tubbytuba

tubbytuba Member

Im sure we timed a blow through at just over the 10 mins mark

17. Janet Watkins

Janet Watkins Member

Many thanks!

18. huggie

huggie Member

Once again I am left totally bemused by the choice of test piece. Here we have the best second section bands in the UK all knocking on the door of the first section, yet the test piece chosen isn't going to sort the wheat from the chaff at all. All the bands will play this piece comfortably.
    A test piece should in my opinion be exactly that, a test. There really is a gulf in difficulty between first and second section test pieces. I am so dissapointed!

19. Mesmerist

Mesmerist Active Member

What Chaff Lee? Not in the finals surely! Though I have to agree with you. Cannot get excited about this one. Even though we have had Mr Motivator Steve Sykes in to do our 2 rehearsals on it.

20. tubbytuba

tubbytuba Member

Hmmm take a good look,me included thought that New World Sketches wasnt up to it.We had Dave Childs with us last week and we played it through a couple of times,it sounded ok but as Dave said theres a lot of devil in the detail!!!!