National Championships Qualifiers - Second Section

Discussion in '2009 National Championships of Great Britain' started by Di, Mar 22, 2009.

1. Di

Di Active Member

[​IMG]

Results courtesy www.4barsrest.com

2. Valvecap

Valvecap Member

Brilliant! Great line up - looking forward to it already! Congratulations to all who have made it! See you in Harrogate!

3. dyl

dyl Active Member

Ditto! :clap:

4. 2nd year in a row for us. Looking forward to another weekend down there and meeting yet more tMPers :)

5. tubbytuba

tubbytuba Member

Had the pleasure of meeting Messmerist and her band at Torquay and look forward to meeting more of you at Harrogate!!! Its our second trip in 3years and really enjoyed it last time It really will be some contest by look of the line up

6. Mesmerist

Mesmerist Active Member

At least 6 of these bands were in last years 3rd section National Finals so there must be some hard work going on around the country. Well done everyone. How many of us are heading for the 1st section next year? (Love it! - the music gets better)

7. Any rumours yet?

8. Mesmerist

Mesmerist Active Member

Lots of rumours!!!! I`m thinking a piece similar to last years 3rd section Nationals perhaps? A bit jolly and folksy and fast with a lament in the middle and a faster movement at the end. Same era as the Areas piece this year and away from the older type of Eric Ball pieces? Who knows? But its ABOUT TIME we did!!!! Nearly June and the piece not even ordered yet.

9. Valvecap

Valvecap Member

Agree entirely mesmarist... they need to get their fingers out and tell us! The suspense is killin me!

10. tubbytuba

tubbytuba Member

Alan Pope our M.D was speaking to Richard Evans and he was under the impression the test piece was being released during last weekend so it must be any day now. It states on Kapitols web site that they will be giving the info 1st so keep an eye on that one. I think it could be a real difficult one this year though!!!!

11. Mesmerist

Mesmerist Active Member

Was it the 2nd week in June that we heard last year?

My MD suggests that it would be a good idea to receive the relevant Test Piece in the post direct from Kapitol when they confirm it all at the end of May to the Contest Secretarys. The cost could be covered as part of the entry fee or added to it.

12. Mesmerist

Mesmerist Active Member

Just looked back to last years Nationals and we all found out on the 4th of June. So next thursday then?

13. Mesmerist

Mesmerist Active Member

Does that last remark mean you already know then? Or at least the Composer? And if it IS the piece I think it maybe then I reckon you are right...:biggrin:

14. tubbytuba

tubbytuba Member

Hello Mesmerist sorry havnt got a clue on this one our M.D is in Corfu at the mo,before he went we had a chat and he did say that he didnt have enough cheek to ask lol. Looking at previous pieces and the comments made reference recent choices i think its got to be stinker lol

15. tubbytuba

tubbytuba Member

So after all the waiting!!!! Its A Scots Miscellany by Alan Fernie with three movements each with some strange names!! The Smiling School for Calvanists which is the first movement,the second is titled Regards to G.Robin Henderson Esquire of Caithness which is based on the hymn tune St Anne and the final movement is entitled John Whytes Reel

16. Hmmm... is my initial thought!

17. tubbytuba

tubbytuba Member

18. Mesmerist

Mesmerist Active Member

So what is it like? Are there any recordings of it and have any of you seen the score yet?

19. Valvecap

Valvecap Member

Not seen a score yet - have it on order through Band Supplies- anyone else recieved their copy yet?

20. tubbytuba

tubbytuba Member

I reckon its going to be heavy going for my section (basses) reading the write up on the national brassband web site it just gives me that impression lol