National Championships of Great Britain - Qualifying Bands - Championship Section

Discussion in 'The Adjudicators' Comments' started by Di, Mar 18, 2007.

1. Di

Di Active Member

National Brass Band Championships

Saturday, 20th October, 2007

The Royal Albert Hall

1. Hepworth (Cookson Homes)
    2. EYMS
    3. YBS
    4. Desford
    5. Aveley & Newham
    6. Fodens Richardson
    7. Reg Vardy
    8. Kirkintilloch
    9. Mount Charles
    10. BTM
    11. Cory
    12. Polysteel
    13. Black Dyke
    14. Redbridge
    15. Leyland
    16. Staffordshire
    17. Whitburn
    18. Grimethorpe
    19. Tredegar
    20. Brighouse & Rastrick
    Last edited by a moderator: Oct 20, 2007
  2. jonesbp

jonesbp Member

Wow. Looks like a very different line up to last year.
  3. Morghoven

Morghoven Member

It also looks like it could be a very close contest if everyone plays their best...

The inveitable question - Anyone have any ideas what the test piece is?!
  4. jonesbp

jonesbp Member

I was on here looking for the exact same thing. It's normally out straight after the last area isn't it?
  5. DaveR

DaveR Active Member

I thought it was normally released round about late April / May? :confused:
  6. jonesbp

jonesbp Member

Ok. my mistake. Just done a search, Last year it was released end of May.
  7. GingerMaestro

GingerMaestro Active Member

Forgive me if this is a silly question but:-

I can understand as current Champions why Grimethorpe pre qualify, but why YBS, Dyke and BAYV.
  8. PeterBale

PeterBale Moderator Staff Member

Currently it's the first four bands each year who receive guaranteed places for the next year's finals.
  9. Deano

Deano Member

Heard a whisper at our area that it is a new piece from the pen of Mr Gregson, don't know how true that is though, maybe just beer talk.
  10. Lauradoll

Lauradoll Active Member

Yo ho ho and it's half term the week after as well. Personally hoping we'll be playing something without a baritone solo and with a lush tune.
  11. Mrs Fruity

Mrs Fruity Member

Or they could go for the Open stylee and have twenty seven tunes at the same time ;) and a second horn solo...:clap:
  12. alangiff3

alangiff3 Member

Test Peices

The test-pieces for the 2007 Finals (all sections) will be announced on (Kapitol Promotions Website) at 9:00am on Friday June 1st 2007.
  13. Di

Di Active Member

The line up of adjudicators for the National Finals has been announced :

David Read, Derek Broadbent & Prof David King
  14. stephenmrry

stephenmrry Member

King in the box all i can say is omg! This is great to see and nearly made me fall out of bed reading this on my laptop! Its great to see him in the box and im seriously thinking of coming over to it. A Philip Sparke test piece a fantastic line up and king in the box as well it has certainly paved the way for a terrific day!!!!
  15. BrassGroupie

BrassGroupie New Member

I don't see why ANYONE should pre-qualify. I think they should have to get their on their own merit like all the other bands. But that's just my opinion. It really irks me this year that YBS have got through automatically when they only came 11th at regionals.

But BAYV actually won their regionals, so pre-qualification or not, at least they actually deserve to be there!! :D (IMO!)
  16. matthetimp

matthetimp Member

So you don't think coming in the top 4 bands in the country last year is good enough to gain auto qualification? What have you been smoking?
  17. dyl

dyl Active Member

The same thing as someone who suggested The Essence of Time as a possible 2nd Section testpiece? :rolleyes:
  18. BrassGroupie

BrassGroupie New Member

Once again, please let me point out that this is simply my OPINION. But no. If the bands that came top in the country at last year's Nationals either:

1) Didn't deem it fit to try hard enough to come top at Regionals or
    2) Were UNABLE to come top at Regionals

then no I don't see why they should automatically get straight through to London. I don't think it's fair on all the bands that try really hard to get to number 1 and 2 in their region, while the pre-qualified bands rest on their laurels, knowing that they're through anyway.

I'm not trying to stir up controversy, just stating my opinions. I simply don't think auto-qualification should exist at all.

Oh... and I haven't been smoking anything... :tongue:
  19. Morghoven

Morghoven Member

How is it "not fair" on the bands that come 1st and 2nd if someone else lower down the field has also pre-qualified? The top four pre-qualifying isn't instead of one of the two from their area, it's in addition. In other words, if two bands from the same area are in the top four, that area sends four bands in total next year - two pre-qualified and two via the area.

Some people have argued that it weakens the contest by allowing pre-qualification. Firstly, how is a contest of any kind weakened by including the defending champion in the field? (Remember Liverpool FC and the Champions League a couple of years back?!) Secondly, how could a contest line-up including Black Dyke, Grimethorpe, B & R and YBS be considered weak? But they are all Yorkshire bands (and we haven't mentioned Hepworth or Sellers, Rothwell or Carlton Main...) so the only way they can all get to the Nationals is if two of them pre-qualify from the year before.
  20. brassneck

brassneck Active Member

- this doesn't add up as poor regional placings may have an impact overall for the band's Championship status regardless of pre-qualification.