National Championships of Great Britain 2004 Results

Discussion in 'Bandroom News - User Submitted' started by sparkling_quavers, Oct 16, 2004.

1. sparkling_quavers

sparkling_quavers Active Member

1. Black Dyke
    2. YBS
    3. Reg Vardy
    4. BAYV
    5. Tredegar
    6. Travelsphere

Last edited: Oct 16, 2004
  2. theMouthPiece Related Searches

Find more discussions like this one
    Championships of Great Britain 2004 Results
    Black Dyke 2
    YBS 3
    Reg Vardy 4
    BAYV 5
  3. brassybabe

brassybabe Member

good good. kingy should be in a good mood monday morning.

have to say i thought fairies would have come higher, but thats contesting for u i suppose.

4. WoodenFlugel

WoodenFlugel Moderator Staff Member

Full results courtesy of 4barsrest.com:

1. Black Dyke, 197
    2. Yorkshire Building Society, 196
    3. Ever Ready, 194
    4. Buy As You View, 193
    5. Tredegar, 192
    6. Travelsphere Holidays, 191
    7. Mount Charles, 190
    8. Whitburn, 189
    9. Camborne, 188
    10. Fairey FP Music, 187
    11. Beaumaris, 186
    12. Redbridge, 185
    13. Staffordshire, 184
    14. Brighouse & Rastrick, 183
    15. Alliance, 181
    16. Leyland, 180
    17. Scottish Co-op, 179
    18. Cwmaman, 178
    19. Wingates, 176
    20. EYMS, 175

Best Intrumentalist: Peter Roberts, YBS

5. super_sop

super_sop Supporting Member

Of course you could have seen the results 20 mins earlier here!;)

6. WoodenFlugel

WoodenFlugel Moderator Staff Member

Grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr :mad:

*spits dummy out and stomps around in a huff*

I was only trying to be helpful....

;)

7. tewkeshorn

tewkeshorn Account Suspended

Well done to Dyke and YBS and the other bands that did well, looks like Faireys and Scottish Co-op had a bad day.

Oh well, another failed attempt at the prediction competition, is anyone doing one for Pontins??

8. sparkling_quavers

sparkling_quavers Active Member

yes, thanks craig :biggrin: The reason I made a 2nd post was that the last item posted by a mod in news appears on the portal when you log in the website. :D I will put a redirect in your thread to here. :biggrin:

Last edited: Oct 16, 2004
  9. super_sop

super_sop Supporting Member

hehe no worries:p

10. critic

critic Member

Well done to Dyke and also to the others in the top 6. Agreat result for ever ready and also Tredegar. Another disapointing show from Brighouse a re think could be needed but another great contest day.

11. Seedhouse

Seedhouse Active Member

*RUNS AROUND THE ROOM*

Yay for Dyke! :D :D :D

...not that i'm an avid Black Dyke fan or anything... :roll:

12. theMouthPiece Related Searches

Find more discussions like this one
    Championships of Great Britain 2004 Results
    Black Dyke 2
    YBS 3
    Reg Vardy 4
    BAYV 5
  13. RondoRotundo

RondoRotundo Member

Well done to Dyke - worthy winners without doubt.
    I was also pleased to see Tredegar in the frame as theirs was the other performance I really enjoyed.
    Just goes to show that a good test doesn't have to have millions of semi-quavers played at fff.
    The thing that shone through today was the music!

14. Accidental

Accidental Supporting Member

Great set of results imho. Tredegar def. deserved a top 3 place, and its great to see Travelsphere and Reg Vardy in the frame again.
    Surpised to see Coop and Leyland so low down the placings though - I thought they were both better than that. (but what do I know! :lol: )

15. Will the Sec

Will the Sec Active Member

I found BAYV's ending completely bizarre.

It seemed like Childs (which one? can never remember) held the band in position to get the "absolute silence after a quiet ending" effect before the applause, but it seemed to me sitting in choir east that the final two chords weren't played.

The audience applauded rapturously, deservedly so, but we were left scratching our heads asking each other what had just happened.

We joined in the applause, but I felt that they had it in the bag until a split in the final sop solo, and then the strange ending.

What did it sound like else where in the hall?

(And generally could anyone hear the basses? The overall bass sound was lost for much of the day where we were.)

I also liked Trededgar's interpretation, the guidance on the score to play with flexibility and to give time to the solos was milked to the max, and that they weren't placed higher was due to too many splits. A shame!

I phoned the eponymous one as I was wandering over to see John and Roger on the tMP stand, and I told him that Dyke had been awesome in places - and in the absence of an ending from BAYV, I think they were worthy winners.

Well done to Travelsphere including Dianamite (BBCBari's missus) as well!

16. Syrup

Syrup Member

well done to Pete Roberts on the solo prize, still a class act.

17. Darth_Tuba

Darth_Tuba Active Member

I was disappointed with our performance personally. Definately left in the bandroom as they say. Can't really complain at the result

18. Keith Stanley James Lever

Keith Stanley James Lever Supporting Member

Nice to see Staffordshires placing, well done all................

19. DublinBass

DublinBass Supporting Member

I was quite happy for the missus indeed!! :-D

I thought Travelsphere's soprano was the player of the day as well (with the way the piece was written you knew it had to go to a soprano player!!)

20. IYOUNG

IYOUNG Member

So did I

Really enjoyed the day yesterday. Went with a bit of intrepidation having read 4br review of the test peice which reminded me of the day we went to listen to Maunsell Forts when we were asked to ''open our eyes and explore'' and what a dissapointment that was. Buts thats another story.

Still one saving grace was that Michael Ball writes some wonderful music and I for one was not dissapointed yesterday and found the music a real joy. Thank you Mr Ball

Congratulations to all the bands, everyone contributed something new. At last a result very few could argue with although some of the out of the top 6 minor placings were a bit awry for me. The variety of tempo's chosen was also most intresting

Few things to note:-

1. Where was everyone? - Most of the time the hall ( stalls and Floor ) was never more than 40% full.

2. What did people think of the new refurbished RAH then?

3. As previously said could anyone actually hear the final Bass notes?

4. When will we get rid of the need for a compere for the short concert and awards ceremony? Let the excellent Peter Bates do it.

5. When will people ever learn about Mobile Phones? EYMS didn't have a good day all round did they Tubular Bells broken Mobile Phones going off and unfortunately last place.

anyway thanks again to everyone involved.

21. ian perks

ian perks Active Member

DID NOT GO BUT GOT RESULTS ON MOBILE AND HAD 4BR ON.

SUPER SLIM NICK CHILDS AS DONE IT AGAIN:-D

22. hipsmann

hipsmann New Member

Great Contest Yesterday. Especially liked the top three's performances. Well done to Ever Ready. I personally thought that their solists were allowed to sit back and play which meant that the piece really worked as a whole. Some bands their soloists distracted from the whole piece.
    I personally enjoyed both YBS's and Dykes performances but felt maybe they could have been placed the other way round. Well done to Dyke though and the concert in the evening was very enjoyable