National Championships 1st Section Results

Discussion in 'The Adjudicators' Comments' started by TheMusicMan, Sep 25, 2005.

1. TheMusicMan

TheMusicMan tMP Founder Staff Member

[IMGLEFT]http://www.themouthpiece.com/images/tmp_news_icon.gif[/IMGLEFT]
    Many thanks today to our roving reporter in the hall at Harrogate - HorniKaz... which means we're able to bring you the results from Harrogate - 'live' as they happen.

This time tMP brings you the results of The Besson National Brass Band Championships of Great Britain 1st Section

1st: 190 (3) - Yorkshire Imperial Urquhart Travel
    2nd: 188 (14) - Staines Brass
    3rd: 186 ( 8 ) - Ashton-under-Lyne
    4th: 185 (13) - Aldbourne
    5th: 184 (17) - Wrexham Brass
    6th: 183 (10) - Hatfield

Besson Award for Best instrumentalist: Solo Ct, Yorkshire Imperial

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 25, 2005
  2. TheMusicMan

TheMusicMan tMP Founder Staff Member

Added this to bump thread...

3. Roger Thorne

Roger Thorne Active Member

Nice one Sud!

Congratulations to The Imps

:clap: :clap: :clap:

4. Chris Sanders

Chris Sanders Active Member

Back where they should be... :clap: :clap:

5. BbBill

BbBill Supporting Member

Well done to the IMPS, tho Big Jay doesnt look too happy in the 4BRS photo, (maybe cos he's not allowed his can of beer in the photo shot!!) ;)

Also well done to the 2 Scottish bands, well up in there guys and a shout out to ma buddys Steve in Raunds and John in Freckleton! :D :clap:

6. PeterBale

PeterBale Moderator Staff Member

Congratulations to one and all, but especially Staines - just got to do the same thing in the top section next year ;)

7. yorkie19

yorkie19 Active Member

I'm delighted Imps are back where they should be. Well done to one and all.

8. Pythagoras

Pythagoras Active Member

Does this mean that imps go up? and if so, does that mean Championship section is just made bigger, or is someone else not promoted?

9. Maestro

Maestro Active Member

A big well done to Staines.

10. deepeeferris

deepeeferris New Member

Staines Brass - you were awesome - I love you all!!!! :clap:

I know you were all 'Simply the Best' !!!!!:cool:

But you know how biased I am !!!!:wink: :wink: :wink:

11. theMouthPiece Visitor Guide

Find more discussions like this one
    Harrogate
    1st Section
    tMP
    IMGLEFT
  12. impycornet

impycornet Member

Congratulations to everyone at the Imps.

13. Heppy

Heppy Member

A massive well done to Ashton. Playing at the Open last week then the Nationals this week on two really hard test pieces, you've done brilliant. Not many bands could do what you've done. The real winners of the day I say! Bravo!

14. postie

postie Member

A big congratulations to Sud and all those at the Imps well done folks!!!

15. sudcornet

sudcornet Member

Cheers Roger...(still feeling a touch delicate)...I think we were a bit surprised, but, obviously well chuffed too.

Our day started well enough with a gentle blow through a few bits...mainly for the benefit of one of our percussionists, who, due to another player unable to perform, had bravely stepped in on Friday night to help out. (Great effort Lawrence).

We had thought (perhaps not too carefully) that we had plenty of time after the draw to get to Harrogate....but, with the draw a touch late and our driver not too familiar with southern Leeds, we arrived at the hall to be told band #1 was going on stage.(So...forget any proper warm-up!)

As if this rush wasn't enough, we were then told that Chris Houlding was stuck in traffic and it didn't look like he would make it in time.....bit of a panic then, but, lucky for us our MD Roy Curran was in the hall, and, after borrowing a baton and score, was up for taking us through.....standing in registration (slightly edgy by now), Chris finally arrives looking windblown and a bit stressed.

I think the tension showed in our performance (a few missed entries and slips) and we came off feeling we had left our best performance in Kippax's bandroom on Thursday. Luckily, enough had been left to impress the judges, but it was a bit of a surprise to find out we'd won.

Thanks to everyone who wished us well and for all the congrats. I would like to say we could relax a bit now, but, Pontins is getting closer and we haven't seen the parts yet.

Sud.

16. madsaz

madsaz Member

Cheers Heppy.

3rd was ok - to be honest there were a couple of slips we could have done without - but not bad on 5 rehearsals!!
    Shows a great improvement in the band and there's definately much more to come......

17. ericthered

ericthered Member

Well done Imps! A fantastic result and by two clear points too. :clap:

I only wish I could have come up to see hear you play.:D

18. SoloBaritone

SoloBaritone Member

I'd like to say well done to Easington. I thought you were brilliant, a totally different band from last time I heard you. Well done for a great performance!

Jayne

19. well done to steve's band raunds!

an excellent performance, very tight, tidy, and accurate playing and in my view, you should have been in top 6, you didnt have as big a sound as a few others but that should have gone in your favour as i felt 1 or 2 of them overblew a bit.

be proud with your performance as you can only get better from there, btw steve was it a spikey mohawk and a black bell i saw you bring onto the contest stage?

20. Jasonp

Jasonp Member

Thanks Peter. The bands on form to do just that, lets hope we stay as consistent as we have done for the past 2 years.

We had an unforgettable weekend, starting with our coach breaking down before we even got out of London and getting a replacement coach that couldn't drive up hill, which was a worry when we where approaching Harrogate. I didn't think we were going to get there!! We were late for our rehearsal at the Hotel so we had to divert to Metham band. Many thanks to them for letting us use their facilities at such short notice.

We got ourselves a good late draw and the band played out of their skins. I'm proud of them all. 2nd at the National finals is by far the best result the band has had in it's 75 year history and they've done L&SC proud.

I'd like to congratulate Imps on their win, Unfortunately I didn't get to hear you play, but I'm sure it was a performance of your usual high standards. Well done and good luck

21. ploughboy

ploughboy Active Member

Thanks to everyone for the congrats.

Thanks to all the Imps team who have made me feel very welcome and at home (bashing around at the back). As Sud said, we didn't feel our best show was on stage, but Chris Houlding did a fantastic job of getting the detail of the piece out, and giving it real style and poise, I guess that's what won it for us in the end. Also a huge pat on the back to Simon, who nailed the horn solo!

The party was just starting when I wimped out to head home, i'm sure there are some very ill Imps today!

The really great news is we get Monday night off!! Woo Hoo, The off we go again, on yet more Howells music.

22. theMouthPiece Visitor Guide

Find more discussions like this one
    Harrogate
    1st Section
    tMP
    IMGLEFT