National brass band forums on t'internet

Discussion in 'The Rehearsal Room' started by MoominDave, Apr 12, 2012.

1. MoominDave

MoominDave Well-Known Member

Just trying to work out where all the chatter goes on that relates to bands in specific places and/or languages...

Scotland seems to be well covered between the Kingdom Brass forum ( and here.
    Northern Ireland:

And that's all I could find! There must be more, surely?

There are other places that I would have thought would have had their own forum. However, I can't see any out there...
    Norway? Surely there must be one given the thriving scene there?
    Switzerland? Seems the main one has closed down: Anything else out there?
    Australia? Wasn't there a forum called the Spit Valve that covered AUS and NZ? Can't find it now though.
    New Zealand?
    Anywhere else?
  2. MoominDave

Can't work out how to register for the Belgian forum. Anyone know how? There's no register button anywhere that I can see...
  3. RossAB

RossAB Member

4. johnsop

johnsop Member

Norway has a forum which doesn't get quite as much traffic as tMP but is pretty popular. I'm sure someone in the Norwegian scene will give more info... You can use Google to translate the forum.
  5. DublinBass

DublinBass Supporting Member

North America used to have one, but nobody went now the NABBA FB page is probably the main place for discussion.
  6. nethers

nethers Active Member

7. MoominDave

Thanks for the pointers so far! Looking for the best places to ask for feedback on the international portions of the brassbandresults map, and some of these suggestions will be most useful.
  8. Coverhead

Coverhead Member

9. MoominDave

10. johnsop

johnsop Member

I've always laughed at the name - immature I know...
  11. its_jon

its_jon Member

Brass Banding is not big enough to successfully support multiple internet forums.
    As a minority musical activity, pooling together in one place such as TMP will provide the best support for our hobby.
  12. nethers

nethers Active Member

Don't know actually, I'm not well connected with what goes on in Aus these days sadly. A new site (although with no forum) is around and has picked up some momentum recently, maybe that has something to do with it?

Its_jon, I think brass banding is big enough to support at least a couple of good internet fora, however most of the ones that have tried have used bad software or had little/no moderation or aimed themselves at a very specific niche (belchenforum - for 2nd section Belgian Brass Bands with a conductor named Ted).

I suspect if someone put together a decent message board and aligned it with another known brass entity (4br etc.) it could get rolling alongside this one.
  13. MoominDave

I agree with its_jon that it's probably best to have all traffic in the same place - otherwise people end up being accidentally excluded from discussions. But I do see a good case for having separate fora for different languages - although... I wonder if tMP created subfora in which you could only post in Norwegian (or Flemish, etc.), whether they would gather any significant international traffic. It would seem to offer a better platform than any of the other national fora that I've looked at here.

It's been a bit disappointing that we haven't seen more input here from people in far-away places that also speak English - those contributors from North America and Australasia who do write here are appreciated, but not many do. It's funny how these things change - in the 90s, internet brass band discussion sometimes seemed to be disproportionately dominated by US contributors. I suppose the internet exploded in America before it exploded here.
  14. Jan H

Jan H Moderator Staff Member

The Belgian forum is as close to dead as possible. Traffic has been almost zero for a couple of years.
  15. MoominDave

Ah okay, maybe that explains it. Has the traffic moved to the Dutch forum?
  16. Jan H

Jan H Moderator Staff Member

Not really, I suppose it's mostly facebook nowadays...
  17. blue steel

blue steel Member

Hi guys

I look after ... thanks for the plug. I'm not about forum, but more about live events and live chat. I don't really feel forums are worth the hassle for the kind of content I am looking at creating (for the moment - although who knows what will change in future). I'm mostly about covering events with live video streaming and interacting via live chat during streams, then via twitter / facebook / instagram.

There's a bit of renewed interest in some new Australian forums that should be coming out soon (not from me)... The guys behind the now closed BrassHub have something up their sleeves that I think is going to be launched in the next few weeks.

To be honest though, I think the place (and pace) of forums on many different topics need to readjust in some cases to stay relevent. The amount of facebooking and to a lesser extent twittering that goes on concerning brass bands is pretty phenomenal... To get into a deeper discussion forums are very necessary - but I think significant traffic just doesn't know where to go to find relevant conversation. Agreed it is tough with many small players desperate for their own traffic to make their advertising fortunes... but I think some targeting social media-ing the funnelled back to a forum would do really really well.

To be honest, this particular forum seems to be hugely UK biased - almost intimidating for us aussies to venture a comment on! (although that might be just speaking for myself).

PS, I'm live streaming the NZ Nationals in the first week of July... Keep an eye out!

18. MoominDave

Definitely agree that this forum is almost exclusively about the UK as it stands... But I would argue that that is a self-perpetuating thing - if there are few Ozzie contributors (to pick one example), then any specifically Ozzie chat will fall flat on its face relative to the rest of the chat and soon Ozzie contributors will lose interest in posting Ozzie items. There's a negative feedback loop there whereby a small number of contributors naturally tends to become a smaller number, which it would be very good to break. If contributors from other nations just accept that "this is how it is", then nothing ever changes.

Don't know, it's a tricky dynamic. But good to see you here, blue steel.
  19. DMBabe

DMBabe Supporting Member

It's hidden as a way to "keep that nosey Brit out and stop him finding new ways to ignore his wonderful girlfriend/dodge work/develop pressure sores". Besides there is always the resource that is Jan, being the all-knowing oracle of Belgian banding! :rolleyes:
  20. MoominDave

To be fair, it was a coded hint to Jan to come help me out...