National Brass Band Club

Discussion in 'The Rehearsal Room' started by meandmycornet, Jan 28, 2006.

1. meandmycornet

meandmycornet Active Member

Hi folks,

I thought you might be interested in this little bit of history that my Nana gave me today!

[​IMG]

This little badge belonged to my Great-Grandpa Harry Clayton, it is an Honoury Life Member Badge for the 'National Brass Band Club' to which my Nana was also a member. Great-Grandpa was given this badge in approximately 1950 when he became a Honoury Life Member for 50 years service to Brass Bands.

I did a quick google search for the NBBC but came across nothing, does it still exist? do any of you have a similiar little badge?

Thanks
    Fi
    xx

2. Di

Di Active Member

Wow, thats really cool Fi. You make sure you take good care of that! Don't know about the existence of NBBC, and no :(, we don't have any history of anything like that. I was the first in my family to go anywhere near a brass band. I've got the next generation hooked, ;) wonder how far down the line it will go. :biggrin:

3. DublinBass

DublinBass Supporting Member

I wonder if that gets you into any UK band club?

4. Naomi McFadyen

Naomi McFadyen New Member

From what I can see looking around, is that what was the NBBC is now split into what we know as our regions... that's what I can gather from looking at ibew.co.uk

Best person to ask about this interesting bit of history would be Dr Roy Newsome!!!!!! Who, you never know, may have a badge too .

Unfortunatly I don't have older relatives who I can ask about NBBC as I'm the first in my generation to do banding as far as I know.

:)

5. iancwilx

iancwilx Active Member

That picture brought back some memories.
    I joined the NBBC as a schoolboy of around 15 in about 1961.
    I had the lapel badge as shown but without the "Life Member" bit on the top.
    It cost 2 shillings and 6 pence (Half a crown) annual subscription.
    The only benefit I can recall was discounted entrance fee into some contest halls.
    I bet I've got my membership card up in the loft somewhere.
    The General Secretary was Tom F. Atkinson, the well known Adjudicator and conductor of the now defunct Bradford Victoria Band (Championship Section) who was my tutor at school.
    - Wilky

6. PeterBale

PeterBale Moderator Staff Member

The badges crop up quite frequently on ebay and always seems to gather plenty of bids, so they seem to be quite prized by collectors.

7. meandmycornet

meandmycornet Active Member

I'm definately not going to sell it! How could I? its a bit of an heirloom really :D its really lovely! and Great-Grandpa would probably be less than impressed if I did!

I want to keep the brass banding tradition in my family in the future aswell, seeing as its been in my family for over 100 years now. Anybody else's brass history go back that far?

8. 2nd man down

2nd man down Moderator Staff Member

Nah, not me, I'm the first in my entire family tree that ever went near a brass instrument I'm afraid.

Alright!! so who just said "So still no-one in your family yet then??" :mad:

A wonderful slice of history you have there Fi, cherish it. :cool:

9. PeterBale

PeterBale Moderator Staff Member

I should imagine there would be quite a few SA bandsman who can trace their links back about as far. I know my great grandfather was involved at the end of the 19th century, and possibly even his father before him, although there was a break when my father left.

10. bignige

bignige Member

Didn't realise a thread had started on the NBBC when I posted this yesterday. Are there any other recollections?

11. theMouthPiece Visitor Guide

Find more discussions like this one
    Harry Clayton
    Brass Band Club Hi
    Great-Grandpa
    Honoury Life Member Badge
    Nana
  12. Flutey

Flutey Active Member

Only just read this Fi!!! Haha... we've already discussed your brass band of babies and their fathers :tongue: seems you've been planning this for longer than I realised!!!

P.S. Don't worry- I won't mention any names!!! *angelic look*