National Anthem

Discussion in 'Off-Topic Chat' started by VenusTromster, Mar 1, 2006.

1. VenusTromster

VenusTromster Member

Ok, just watching the England game and have just listened to the National Anthem. However its been bugging me for a while, why are these singers insisting of going up at the end of the verse/chorus bit???

Its not written like that and the singer tonight (who I also believe sang on the rugby the other day) also highlighted (probably without meaning it) how terrible it sounds!!

Isn't it just like someone coming along and playing something completely different that is not written on thier part?

It's something that started not long ago, I think I remeber the first time I heard it on the tele but now everyone seems to do it!

Please singers...keep it simple so it sounds nice, it's not big and it's not clever!!

(just my opinion!)

2. Anno Draconis

Anno Draconis Well-Known Member

Better still, dispose of the turgid twaddle and use Jerusalem instead!

3. VenusTromster

VenusTromster Member

Yes, thats another point.

Why do the English sing the National Anthem (ie the one that represents the UK) and not the English Anthem - which I think is Jerusalem (correct me if I'm wrong - it was decided at the common wealth games when Wales, Scotland, and England competed against each other).

Another example is the rugby. The Welsh sing their anthem but England sing the National Anthem.

Confused!!!

4. DaveR

DaveR Active Member

In my experience, God Save the Queen is usually sung after the Welsh anthem - in other words the Welsh sing both, because God Save the Queen is the anthem of Great Britain. Jerusalem is a great piece of music, but the PC brigade (for whom I personally have no time BTW) don't like it. I'm also reminded of that Flanders and Swann dialogue where they comment on the irony that the English anthem is called Jerusalem ;)
    That said, the German anthem is called Austria so maybe there is some mileage in it....

5. Dave Payn

Dave Payn Active Member

Not only that, she hit that top note painfully sharp!......

Still, taking things up the octave is something a lot of sop players can relate to... :) ;)

6. yorkie19

yorkie19 Active Member

I'm being pedantic, but the anthem isn't called Austria. The music for German National Anthem is best known to use as the hymn, Austria. The German National Anthem is actually called "Das Lied der Deutschen" (The Song of the Germans).

Ironically, Haydn wrote "Gott erhalte Franz den Kaiser" (the tune for the hymn, Austria) after coming to England and being impressed with the "solemn beauty" of "God Save the King".

It served as the Austrian anthem until the end of the Austro-Hungarian (Hapsburg) Empire in 1918 and then again from 1929 until 1938 (when Austria was united with Germany).

The lyrics to "Das Lied der Deutschen" were combined with Haydn's melody by Fallersleben in 1841. It served as an unofficial German national anthem during the second half of the 19th Century, but wasn't officially introduced as the German National Anthem until 1922.

It was banned between 1945 and 1952, when the third verse of the anthem was proclaimed as the official National Anthem by Theodor Heuss, then President of West Germany.

Curiously enough, in 1946, with their sovereignty restored, the Austrians picked a melody by Mozart as the basis for their National Anthem, with lyrics added by Preradovic in 1947.

Anyway, back on track, I think the simple answer to the original question is that singers performing the British National Anthem are following the lead of their North American cousins who alter the melody to make a more unique performance. Personally speaking, I'd do away with the current version (and the Royal Family) and have something along the lines of "The Mighty Republic of Britain".

7. Pythagoras

Pythagoras Active Member

Couldn't we just have 'Song of Patriotic Prejudice' by Flanders and Swann. Could have the first verse and depending on who we are playing the verse that insults them.

Apart from any moral problems with it, England singing the UK's anthem is silly, particularly when we are playing someone else in the UK.

8. andywooler

andywooler Supporting Member

There should also be more effort by the players to sing it whatever it is - they all know the cmera goes down the line during the anthems - Rooney was staring at the ground and not singing at all. Surely even he can remember the words!!

9. Pythagoras

Pythagoras Active Member

Maybe he was making an informed political statement? (Or maybe not..)

10. andywooler

andywooler Supporting Member

Apart from doubting he would know what a polical statement was, if he does indeed have views that might lead him to make such a statement, why does he allow himslef to represent his country?

His loyalty is of course well know - "Blue forever" shortly followed by a move to ManU ;)

It's part of the whole event IMHO.

Also, I don't agree with the booing that went on during the other Anthem either.

And finally, when a player has the National shirt on, you don't boo him either - save that for when Mr. Neville next visits you in the league!

11. theMouthPiece Visitor Guide

Find more discussions like this one
    National Anthem
    England
    National Anthem Ok
    time
    end
  12. matti_raz

matti_raz Member

In response to the Jerusalem at the commonwealth games comment... I was in Manchester and I'm afraid it was a funny sort of Jerusalem...... Sounded more like Land Of Hope and Glory to me;) :biggrin: !

13. VenusTromster

VenusTromster Member

Thanks, wasn't quite sure which one it was, at least I know now! :)