National Anthem at The Open?

Discussion in 'The Adjudicators' Comments' started by Alyn James, Sep 2, 2012.

1. Alyn James

Alyn James Member

I read on 4BR's Live Comments that the first band on did not play the National Anthem. Please tell me this was an oversight and not some new PC directive from the organisers. As a proud Welshman I consider it an honour to play "The Queen". Welsh, Scottish, Northern Irish, English - we're all British, surely.
  2. stevetrom

stevetrom Well-Known Member

They DID play the national anthem
  3. eusebio

eusebio New Member

4. jockinafrock

jockinafrock Active Member

Surely 4BR weren't in for the start of the comp, because band no1 played The National Anthem bang on half ten ... :D
  5. eusebio

eusebio New Member

6. toby hobson

toby hobson Member

Cant stand flags anthems and such.
  7. Alyn James

Alyn James Member

Sorry for wasting everyone's time. Didn't see the 4BR comments and stupidly didn't check for myself. Particular apologies to Centralbank for disturbing your slumber.
  8. Jan H

Jan H Moderator Staff Member

case closed :)
  9. stopher

stopher Member

I can confirm that Beaumaris played the Queen - it was the 3rd contest on the trot we have been drawn number One! We did have to sit around on stage quite a bit before playing it though!
  10. simonium

simonium Member

You didn't expect a "name" band to draw number one did you?! ;-)
  11. jockinafrock

jockinafrock Active Member

Why not? I've drawn it twice for Foden's - a relief when it was taken I can tell you...:biggrin:
  12. From 4barsrest twitter feed!

"01/09/2012 10:39:59
    No National Anthem and straight into Electra with Gwyn Evans bouncing on the balls of his feet in front of his Welsh charges"
  13. Jan H

Jan H Moderator Staff Member

That tweet is obviously incorrect, as demonstrated earlier in this thread by a memebr of the band

What's there left to discuss? The journalistic merits of believing everything you read on twitter? Then the thread should be moved ;-)
  14. James Yelland

James Yelland Active Member

Jan H is perhaps not aware of nationalistic sensibilities in the United Kingdom (UK). There are some Welsh people who consider Wales to be a sovereign nation with its own national anthem. Constitutionally, they are wrong, and will remain so until and unless Wales becomes independent of the UK. Until then, Wales remains a region of the United Kingdom, and its national anthem is the National Anthem of the United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland of which it is a part. That anthem is called "God Save the Queen", (or number 61 in the red book as bandsmen here know it). It is possible that matters may have become confused by the fact that 4BarsRest is owned and administered by a Welshman. And the fact that band number 1 at the Open was Welsh.

I hope this information is of help.
    Last edited: Sep 2, 2012
  15. hellraiser

hellraiser Member

Glad to know you don't like PC either, Alyn, as this post won't be.

I've no problem respecting national anthems, patriotism, nor God: who I believe does save people, including those who's salvation is not sung for in a compulsory manner.

Whilst I respect traditions... I do find the honour of funding Kate's Wimbledon, Olympics and Paralympics tickets, their forthcoming holiday to the Solomon Islands after all that hard work, and the joy of funding Harry's naked Vegas partying (to clarify, I mean Prince Henry "of" Wales: the man who passionately supports England against Wales in the rugby), the billions lost to the economy from the royal bank holidays adding to the national debt payable by "guess who"... to be, let's just say, rather difficult to take pride in.
  16. ben16

ben16 Member

lol, get over yourself!
  17. Red Elvis

Red Elvis Active Member

Preach it brother !!
  18. Anno Draconis

Anno Draconis Well-Known Member

The anthem should only be played if a member of the Royal Family is in attendance, in my opinion. Since that's about as likely as Prince Harry joining the Communist Party, let's not bother.
  19. zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz :frown: